Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
meds for CH and psoriasis? (Read 1731 times)
black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
meds for CH and psoriasis?
Jun 6th, 2009 at 11:47am

I am wondering if there is any relation between the various meds(preventative and abortive)we use for ch as a cause and the possible appearance of psoriasis as an effect/side effect??

Does anyone here have any information about this?

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: meds for CH and psoriasis?
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 1:13pm

I bet we find out that our collective knowledge is not even skin deep.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Rob73
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 2:04pm

black wrote on Jun 6th, 2009 at 11:47am:
I am wondering if there is any relation between the various meds(preventative and abortive)we use for ch as a cause and the possible appearance of psoriasis as an effect/side effect??

Does anyone here have any information about this?

Not as far as I'm aware and I have psoriasis too.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 4:09pm

I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya.

Just kidding. I got nuthin'.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 9:04am

From what I understand, Psoriasis and Exima are both tied to an imbalance between our bodies and the bacteria that live on our skin.  I know from family members who suffer with Exima that this balance can be affected by stress.

I imagine that CH could very well be considered a stressor contributing to Psoriasis.

I also heard a report on NPR that Scientists are now mapping the DNA of the various bacteria that live on our skin the same way the mapped the Human Gnome.  The hope is to eventually understand our own bio-systems and develop new treatments for skin diseases.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 11:45am

I imagine that CH could very well be considered a stressor contributing to Psoriasis.

Never thought it this way.sounds logical.

thanks for the replies

p.s.1  welcome aboard Rob73 Smiley
p.s.2  how do we do that quote author's words thing?
can't find the red button Cheesy

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 1:55pm

I had a psoriasis flare up about 3 month ago, all in my hair and elsewhere. Since my thyroid surgery 5 weeks ago it has vanished again.

I asked my family doctor about that, but he said that psoriasis comes and goes without rhyme nor reason, and nobody knows the cause. Then, as an afterthought, he added that a higher thyroid hormone level brings dry skin and that might favor psoriasis.

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 4:06pm

black wrote on Jun 7th, 2009 at 11:45am:

Never thought it this way.sounds logical.

thanks for the replies

p.s.1  welcome aboard Rob73 Smiley
p.s.2  how do we do that quote author's words thing?
can't find the red button Cheesy

It says quote.  Click it.

Potter

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #8 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 11:50am

Semi-related thoughts:

One of the main routes of treating psoriasis involves certain forms of vitamin D (from sunlight, activated calcitriol, or semi-synthetic forms of vitamin D).  Vitamin D also has major effects on calcium metabolism.  We know that clusterheads don't handle ions like calcium/sodium/chloride normally, and that calcium channel blockers like verapamil can be useful for treating clusters.  

The association with vitamin D is also consistent with the fact that clusters are more common as one moves away from the equator (less UV = less vitamin D, unless one eats lots of fatty fish).

More interesting data points ... two case studies (which only involved 2 people each) saw a "major" or "dramatic" reduction in migraine when vitamin D and calcium supplementation was undertaken:

Psoriasis is not generally caused by dry skin, but psoriasis can cause it. Some bacterial infections make psoriasis worse, probably by stimulating an autoimmune attack on the skin (Staphylococcus aureus seems very active in promoting psoriasis activity).
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2009 at 11:58am by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #9 - Jun 8th, 2009 at 7:45pm

Don't know about medication interactions and psoriasis, but I posted the question a couple of years ago about the interrelation of psoriasis and CH as auto immune disorders.  I have noted and documented a flareup of psoriasis a day or two before a flareup of CH.  (I'm Chronic)

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 7:06am

Quote:
and elsewhere

that elsewhere part really sucks curtain.gif
i have this 2 years.It appeared 5 days after i stopped a therapy for ch with Lyrica and tegretol which was the last one after a series of preventative therapies.Various abortives at the time.
i guess it is irrelevant.Just a coincedence maybe.
I already take the vitamin D everyday but for completely other reasons(still trying to understand if ti helps for ch but thats another story) and it helps a bit with psoriaris.It is slowing down its cycle i think.so less scrathing its something rather than nothing.
On the other hand i i live in Greece but i ve got D defficiency .
we have sunny days almost all year round.The doc told me that more people than we think have D defficiency.

so i pray in dr House the actor to find some answers. Cheesy
I think its time to take another cold cold shower Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!