Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sphenopalatine blocks (Read 984 times)
Hosia
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

sphenopalatine blocks
Jun 5th, 2009 at 9:27am

Didn't see anything posted about this old and available treatment after I mentioned it in another post. This is NOT the ablation surgery.

Here are some links:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

For sharing and discussion,

Hosia

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Re: sphenopalatine blocks
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 9:41am

Interesting. I have Sluder's (sphenopalatine) neuralgia, in addition to CH. My CH is normally left sided and the neuralgia right sided. Sinus problems can seriously aggravate the neuralgia, which can cause my CH to switch sides.

The block might help during those episodes, but my guess is that I'd still suffer on the left.

There are some that believe that sphenopalatine neuralgia is a form of cluster headache. If you try it, keep us posted.

pf wishes, nani

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 9:35pm

Hosia,

From the open source information I've gathered, sphenopalatine blocks with topical lidocaine as a means of aborting cluster headaches have been dropping in popularity primarily due to limited efficacy and difficulty in self administration in favor of other more effective abortives.

The most effective abortive of choice that ranks at the top of nearly every published standards of care and strategies for the treatment of acute cluster headaches is oxygen therapy.  

Unfortunately there are some PCPs and neurologist that still cling to the age old Rx for oxygen therapy at a flow rate of 7 to 9 liters/minute when 15 minutes is proving more effective or they bypass oxygen therapy completely in favor of far more invasive triptan based abortives with all their side effects.

Over the last two years many of us have found that oxygen flow rates that support hyperventilation (a flow rate ≥25 liters/minute) are far more superior to 15 liters/minute in terms of efficacy and greatly reduced abort times at an average of 7 minutes for for attacks at Kip-3 to Kip-9.

Shoot me a PM if you would like more info.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

AgentOrange
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 4:44pm

hello i have been suffering from chs for 9 years, im 23, and i have just been introduced to the intranasal nerve block with lidocaine here are my 2 experiences

first----
the prior weeks before this event i was entering a cycle, just getting worse by the day and using crazy amounts on imitrex wich only seemed to rebound my headaches

day 1  thursday- steroid nerve block injected to the back of my head ( it helps a little, if doc gets the needle in the right spot, sometimes it works sometimes it dont

day2 - friday- the very next day- intranasal nerve block for 30 mins q tip in the noise, very discomforting

day 3-  saturday-  the very next day- intranasal nerve block for 30 mins q tip in the noise, a little discomforting

day 4 - monday -  intranasal nerve block for 30 mins q tip in the noise, just feels wierd pushing the q tip in no pain pretty numb up there now

day 5+6 tuesday & wednesday intranasal nerve block for 30 mins q tip in the noise

that following saturday night i was awakened by the devil headaches are back

sunday no headache, and since monday i have had one every day, but the time between them gets shorter until i know ill get 2,3, sometimes 4 a day everyday

now today i went back for nother intranasal nerve block with lidocaine, and guess what while i was sittin the with the q tip in my nose i got a ch,

so what i have to say is this, as soon as you enter a cycle this lidocaine treatment will probably work, but for me i dont expect it to after today if your mid cycle

its easier to kill when its small

IP Logged

maro56
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hasselt - Belgium (EU)
Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 3:58am

Hello,
I have had an infiltration of the ganglion sphenopalatinum last november (left side).  During two weeks the pain has almost disappeared but started to switch to the other side and after a month it was for 100% situated at te right side.  After 3 months pain is back on both sides.  I must admit that the hits are not so sharp as before the infltration but this can also be caused by the Lithium I started end of december.
regards
marc

marcroppe  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!