Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zomig Nasal Spray VS Imitex Shots (Read 1669 times)
miCHel
CH.com Veteran

x1|Montreal (Candiac, Quebec)
Zomig Nasal Spray VS Imitex Shots
Jun 1st, 2009 at 11:37am

Hello everyone,

Just begun a new cycle after several years of being PF.  Started very low on the Kip scale for a few weeks and it was manageable without drugs.  But it got much more painful over the last week so I had to start using my Trex shots.  And they still works perfectly.

My neuro also gave me a box with two samples of Zomig Nasal Spray which I haven't tried yet.  In one of my last cycles, I tried Migranal Nose Spray and it almost killed me.  I had my worst hit ever.  So I am a little worried about stuffing something up my nose again even though I know the two meds have nothing in common.

So here are my couple of questions: Is Zomig Nasal effective for some people here?  Does it work as fast as Trex shots (Trex kills an attack in less than five minutes for me)?  And is Zomig somewhat less expensive than Trex (which is costing me a fortune!)?

I know I have to try O2 and I will do it at home if things do not get better.  I could not try it at work right now.  Company is letting a lot of people go and I am way too afraid that this would put me at the top of the list... Undecided

Thanks everyone!

miCHel

Good one Scotty!  Now beam down my clothes...

IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus

Are we ourselves?

Commack,New_York
Re: Zomig Nasal Spray VS Imitex Shots
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 11:43am

If you do the zomig bullet correctly it can be just as quick as a jab of trex.

I preferred the trex because i can split the doses and give my self literally a trickle which aborted attacks.

You cant do that with the zomig.

It does appear to have less of the shitty side effects than trex according to those who post here but I honestly hate them both....

not gonna continue with the lectures but.....get thee some O2

pf2u

ex2

I can't believe that I have to bang my Head against this wall again. But the blows they have just a little more Space in-between them. Gonna take a breath and try again.
Edoubleitk Edoubleitk1  
IP Logged

miCHel
CH.com Veteran

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 1:07pm

Thanks for the great info, E.

I will definitely try the Zomig and if it works as good as the Trex, I will see with my pharmacist if it is less expensive.

As for splitting my Trex shots, they provided me with a new smaller auto-injector which comes with a cartridge holding two shots that you screw on the injector.  Contrary to my old one, I don't even see the syringe anymore when I shoot myself so I would have no idea on how to split the dose.  But I would love to try it.

Have a good one!

miCHel

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 1:38pm

Zomig nasal works fast for me......5 minutes or less. That being said, O2 is my abortive of choice. Zomig is only used when O2 isn't available.....and that's not very often.

B

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 2:12pm

Hey Michel,

O2 is my favorite abort also - no side effects... that said, the imitrex tip from the link on on the left (above oxygen info in yellow) explains how to split the pen injector type shots - I'll paste it in - I have done this and it works fine.  I now have a scrip for 4mg shots, however.  Much easier than splitting.   Wink  do get less med for the $ though.   Val

Posted by DJ on June 11, 1999 at 11:22:04:

Those of us that depend on Imitrex to get through our headaches know:

1) how expensive it is

2) how hard it is to get in the quantities we need

3) that we are only SUPPOSED to take 2 shots in a 24 hour period (2 shots = 12 mg of solution)

4) that using it on a regular basis MAY cause some rebound headaches

I'd like to share a trick I use to "get around" some of the above listed points and extend the use of my precious Imitrex.

Please understand that I am NOT a physician so I have no authority to tell you to do this for yourself. I am simply giving you something to think about. Take the information for what it's worth. I just got so tired of fighting with my Doc about the number of kits he would prescribe to me.

Ok, to sort of "set the stage". I take the limit of two auto-injectors of Imitrex in a 24 hour period like this. Each syringe of Imitrex that I'm supposed to auto-inject myself with contains 6mg of solution. That means that the most solution that I'm "allowed" to inject into my system in a 24 hour period is 12mg. Follow me?

Here's what I do...

1) I load the bottom part of the injector pin (the part that has the syringe in it) just like I'm going auto-inject myself as normal.

2) Once it's out of the case, I unscrew the syringe part of the pin so that it is again in two pieces. This exposes the top rim of the syringe (barely sticking out of the bottom half).

3) I use my fingernail to pull the syringe out of it's holder. I now have the syringe all by itself in my hand.

4) I remove the label from the syringe (or peel it back) so I can see the amount of solution is in the syringe.

5) I manually put the needle in my arm and use a Q-tip to manually push approx. one-third (2mg) of solution into my system (2mg - 3mg depending on the severity of the CH)

6) For those of you who don't like needles much, this may sound like torture, but it's not that bad. Really. It's a helluva lot easier than suffering from the attack!

I've experimented with the amount of solution to give myself but have found that one third of the syringe at a time will get rid of my headache in approximately the same amount of time that the full 6mg at once (maybe just a few minutes longer). The important part of doing it this way is... now my Imitrex kit that is supposed to last for only TWO headaches can get me through SIX headaches and I still don't go over the 12mg limit in a 24 hour period!!

Cutting down on the amount I use for each headache also seems to cut down on some of the rebound headaches that I noticed when I injected the entire 6mg at once.

What do you think the chances of us getting Glaxo Wellcome to manufacture some 2mg and 3mg auto-injectors for us cluster sufferers is? LOL, yeah, right.

If you have any questions about this, don't hesitate to email me.

val2651  
IP Logged

miCHel
CH.com Veteran

Re: Zomig Nasal Spray VS Imitrex Shots
Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2009 at 5:17pm

Hello Racer and Val,

I definitely have to try O2 at home!!!

Thanks for the Imitrex tip Val (and DJ).  I have to study my new injection system to see how I can do this.  My shots are 5mg each. I wonder why it's more than you?  Maybe it's like our Canadian beer and they make it just a bit stronger  Cheesy

One more question about Trex (Ok, 2 questions): Do you guys shoot up in the arm or in the thigh (and does it make a difference?)?  And is it possible to shoot it through your clothes?  I just got a bad hit in the middle of a meeting and I would have used it right there underneath the table if I could have.  It doesn't sound like a good idea as I am afraid I could catch some fiber.

So much great info.  You guys rock!

miCHel

IP Logged

AgentOrange
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 2:06pm

i used to use zomig, its effects worked great the first few times but i felt i gained a tolerance, and the fact my nose becomes runny and stuffy its hard to get anything up there.

trex 4mg is what i normally use, but rebounds are likely  Sad

my nuero has mixed me a nasal spray cocktail if u wil its 1/2 alergy nasal spray and half lidocaine, it clears the nose and numbs up a little, makes breathing the o2 easier, plus the o2 feels cold when inhaling throuygh the nostril on the effected side.

sumtimes a second of third spary of my cocktail is bnecessary but god it tastes terrible Angry

o2 is by far the best bet, its hard but try to relax and steady deep breathes and well for me 8 liters is just enough

IP Logged

Globi
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2009 at 2:28pm

miCHel wrote on Jun 1st, 2009 at 11:37am:
Hello everyone,

Just begun a new cycle after several years of being PF.  Started very low on the Kip scale for a few weeks and it was manageable without drugs.  But it got much more painful over the last week so I had to start using my Trex shots.  And they still works perfectly.

My neuro also gave me a box with two samples of Zomig Nasal Spray which I haven't tried yet.  In one of my last cycles, I tried Migranal Nose Spray and it almost killed me.  I had my worst hit ever.  So I am a little worried about stuffing something up my nose again even though I know the two meds have nothing in common.

So here are my couple of questions: Is Zomig Nasal effective for some people here?  Does it work as fast as Trex shots (Trex kills an attack in less than five minutes for me)?  And is Zomig somewhat less expensive than Trex (which is costing me a fortune!)?

I know I have to try O2 and I will do it at home if things do not get better.  I could not try it at work right now.  Company is letting a lot of people go and I am way too afraid that this would put me at the top of the list... Undecided

Thanks everyone!

miCHel

Hi Michel,

Sorry to hear CH came back.

Nasal spray never worked for me. But that is the thing with CH.....what works for you....might not work for me.

Give it a try....once more. I do not think it will make an attack stronger.

IP Logged

miCHel
CH.com Veteran

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 2:16pm

Thanks for your help everyone.

I did try the Imitrex tip.   I was getting 4-5 bad hits a day and only had Trex to abort so I was going a little overboard.  I was not too sure about the procedure but it worked fine.

I called my amazing doc to get a O2 prescription and he asked me to go see him to try something else and discuss other options as well.  He also told me to increase my Verapamil, going from 480 mg to 720 per day.  It stopped the hits the first day!  I've been PF for 10 days now.  Only a few shadows here and there but no pain.  If everything goes well, I will start to reduce the Verap gradually in a week or so.

I also want to thank Batch for all his help and support regarding O2.  What this guy did for me was simply unbelievable.  I am not anxious to get into a new cycle but the next time it hits, O2 will definitely be added to my toolkit.  Thanks Batch!!!

Have a good one!

miCHel

IP Logged

JOEY B.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 5:31pm

Micheal,

Splitting your shots is very helpful and very cost effective as well. 

As for injecting through your clothing, if it were me, I would carry some alcohol pads with you in your med pack.  I would NEVER inject through anything other than bare skin after being wiped with alcohol.  You just take such a chance of something being on your clothing and since its a hollow needle it can trap it.  I am not a doctor, but I do work in the medical field so I would not suggest that method of injection.

If you are at work in a meeting, ask to step out and go to the bathroom.  The other thing about clothing, I know with the Imitrex pen, as soon as I hit that button the meds come out, so you also take a chance of some of the meds getting in your clothes and not your body.  Just my two sense on that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!