Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"Synergy" Regimen proposed by Killowatt3 (Read 709 times)
Jim Tew
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware, Ohio
"Synergy" Regimen proposed by Killowatt3
May 28th, 2009 at 3:49pm

Back around the first of this year, Killowatt3 introduced an herbal remedy which he had had success with.  Since I could grasp a little of the science behind it---and am not on any prescription meds with which it might interfere---I gave it a shot beginning almost ten days ago.  I said a little of the science:  I’m anxious for any input as to why this combination might work. At the same time I also added a B-2 supplement to my normal daily vitamin intake.

Here is Killowatt3’s “concoction”, which was dubbed “Synergy”:

Kudzu - 1000 mg, 2x per day (morning & night)  
Magnesium - 250 mg, 2x per day (morning & night)  
St. John's Wort - 300 mg, 2x per day (morning & night)  
Skullcap - 425 mg at bedtime  
Melatonin - 10 mg at bedtime

This combo can be a little rough on the bowels. i.e., expect increased gas and diarrhea---but with some dietary changes (early morning fiber and cheese) it has been very manageable for me.

The only other CH remedies I have available are: Oxygen and Nasal Lidocaine.  I have a Prednisone taper but have elected not to start it on this cycle.

I “believe” this regimen is having a positive impact in that:

•      The frequency of hits per day is dramatically reduced.

•      From three to five shadows a day which generally turn into two nasty CH’s and three “manageable” ones, I’m down to a mild shadow in the PM and a mild CH around 11:00 PM.

•      A week and a half ago I was aborting two or three times per day with Oxygen. Over the last four days I’ve only aborted one shadow and one 11:00PM CH with Oxygen.

•      Over the last three says the 11:00 PM CHs have dissipated with little more than deep breathing and temple massage.

The factors that creates some shadow of doubt for me are that:

•      According to the calendar, I should be on the “back slope” of this cycle.

•      I did not begin the synergy regimen during the peak of this cycle.

•      My cycles switch from left side to right side every three or four years and this is a right side year.

•      It “seems” that this cycle---or at least the dregs of it ---has been a week or two longer than normal.

So, since I am not remotely an herbal expert---what do you folks think?  Is this wishful thinking on my part?   Thoughts on the “science” behind the synergy regimen? Tongue

Quit smoking June 1, 2009
Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy 34.7 ng/mL 07/17/2013
jimtew jim.tew  
IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Re: "Synergy" Regimen proposed by Killowatt3
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 3:13pm

Hello Jim, and thanks for posting your feedback on the 'mix'.

I'm glad to hear that you think it's doing you some good!  Please understand, though, that there is no science behind the mix.  All I did was combine a number of herbal / non-pharmaceutical preventatives with which many people had reported success.  It works for me, 100%, and for a lot of other folks, too.

I included the word, "Synergy" in the title to one post because I believe very strongly that there is a synergistic effect when these ingredients are taken together; that the net effect is greater than the sum of the individual components.  "Synergy" kind of stuck as a name for the mix, although it was not intended that way.

Kudzu was included in the mix because a lot of people with CH have experienced dramatic results with it, and it is safe, natural, legal, and has a long medicinal history in China.  I included magnesium specifically because I have a problem with calcium absorption, and magnesium, in addition to helping some people with CH, is known to aid in calcium absorption.  It occurred to me that my CH and calcium problems could possibly be related, so maybe the magnesium could help both.

It's well known that melatonin helps a lot of CH sufferers (and NOT just with the night hits), and my own experience is that sleep disturbances (including an afternoon nap) are triggers of the worst kind.  So melatonin, by stabilizing sleep patterns, was a natural choice for the mix.  The Scullcap and SJW were added as both potential preventatives and to (hopefully) mitigate some of the stress that always accompanies a cluster cycle.

Since I started using this combination, I have made it through what would historically have been six cycles, without experiencing more than a single CH.  When the shadows are strong enough that I'm sure I'm in cycle, I start the mix and stay on it for a couple of weeks.  No headaches.  No mess.  No fuss.  Wink

The more I learn, the more convinced I am that the mix should be started ASAP when the onset of a cycle is recognized.  Waiting until later may or may not work.

Again, there is NO science behind the formulation.  It is just a collection of ingredients with good track records, that works for many.  It's great to hear that you're having some success with it.  Good luck, and please continue posting with your results.

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!