Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cafergot as a preventative (Read 1239 times)
chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
cafergot as a preventative
May 27th, 2009 at 11:03pm

Hey everyone,
    After dealing with 10-12 hits a night for a couple of months,  I started taking cafergot  at bedtime,  along with melatonin to counter the caffiene.  It works great,  no more nightime hits.  My tank is just sitting there unused for the past couple of weeks.  What I am wondering is why cafergot is kind of refered to as an abortive and not a preventative by most CHers on ch.com.   Is there some reason not to take it on a daily basis during a bad time in a cycle?

any info would be appreciated.

thanks alot
christinew Kiss

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Re: cafergot as a preventative
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2009 at 11:31pm

There have been many that have found relief with cafergot. Guiseppi, BobP, BarbD and myself to name a few. I found that I could breath the 02 and then take a cafergot pill and would get relief for quite a few hours. So in that sense, I was using it as a preventative.

One thing though. When I went to come off the cafergot, I had a couple of nervous days and couldn't sleep until it was all out of my system.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2009 at 10:01am

I don't know of any side effects to taking it daily but make sure you mention it to your doc just to make sure. Like Jimi, I pop a cafergot when I fire off the 02, 02 beats it down, cafergot buys me many hours of pain free time. I never tried the melatonin to counter the sleeplessness so I spent many the wee hours of the morning organizing my tupperware drawers or putting pictures into photo albums when I couldn't sleep!!! Grin

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2009 at 2:12pm

Guiseppe,  the melatonin knocks me right out,  cold.  I love it.  Thanks for your info, and I cant believe that it took me about 20 years of suffering to find this drug!!!!!  Its working great, and according to my doc, it has been around a long time. 

I urge anyone who hasnt tried it to ask their doctors if it might be right for them.  from the very first night of taking it, i have been relatively HA free,  other than an occasional hit around 9pm that O2 takes care of.  I dont know how long I will take it at bedtime, I guess until I feel that the shadows are disappearing,  its great! Cool Cool

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2009 at 8:11pm

That's great news. It's an old school CH med that fell out of favor because it takes too long to get into your system to work as an abortive. Although some on the board have had success using it as n abortive in the suppositiry form.

Hoping it keeps you pain free a while, that's always a good thing!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #5 - May 29th, 2009 at 8:34am

Long term use will result in rebound/drug overuse headaches when you stop taking it.  Rebound headaches are like tension headaches.

Using too much can cause ergotisim, reduction in blood flow to the extremities, resulting in gangrene and loss of some fingers or toes.

Cafergot constricts blood vesseles without discrimination.  The triptans are specific to cranial blood vessels which is better because it doesn't make your heart work as hard.

Needless to say, I've had cold fingers and toes many times from taking the stuff.  Have a big bottle stashed for the next episode (if there ever is one).

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!