Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Evaluation of the Neurologist I saw in Columbus OH (Read 628 times)
Jim Tew
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Delaware, Ohio
Evaluation of the Neurologist I saw in Columbus OH
May 27th, 2009 at 9:00am

I wanted to do a quick follow-up on the Neurologist I saw a couple of weeks ago.  I got his name off the OUCH website, then found a couple of OUCH members in the Columbus, Ohio vicinity to find out who they used and they (the two that got back to me or had valid email addresses) both had seen him.

Dr. Francis J. O’Donnell, DO
70 South Cleveland Ave.
Westerville, OH 43081
614-838-3249/890-6555

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Pros:

•      I called on Monday, had an appointment on Friday.
•      The office staff is friendly and efficient.
•      I arrived 15 minutes early knowing there would be new patient paperwork---I was led to the exam room precisely at my appointment time for a quick blood pressure check.  Dr. O’Donnell came in within five minutes.
•      He does not require a referral (nor does my insurer).
•      He is very familiar with cluster Headaches, sees 10 to 15 CH sufferers a week this time of year.
•      He does not run a bunch of tests.
•      He will not treat you like a mental case.
•      He absolutely recognizes the benefits of Oxygen therapy.

Cons (not that many):

•      He will not prescribe Oxygen to a current smoker---nor will anyone in the practice. I suspect it is a corporate liability issue regarding fire hazard.
•      He can be a little “full of himself” and perhaps only “listens with one ear”.
•      As a headache “expert” who sees a lot of CH sufferers he has his approach  and seems confident that he knows far more about CH than the patient.

His initial treatment (for a smoker) is Prednisone taper and nasal Lidocaine.  I’ve used the Lidocaine a couple of times.  It takes some getting used to.
I have not used the Prednisone and am not sure I will---at least not for this cycle.

In spite of my disappointment over the Oxygen issue  (my insurer would pay for Oxygen for Cluster Headaches without blood gases), it would be very hard for me not to recommend Dr. O’Donnell.  I contacted literally dozens of neuros in the Columbus area; some were out of business, some left me on hold for 30 minutes---not one would see me without a referral.

I’ve chosen an alternate approach on the Oxygen issue and am trying some alternative herbals in lieu of the Prednisone.  Still, I would like to get a valid Oxygen prescription in the near future.

Again, you will not be made to feel like an idiot or a mental case,  he is a no nonsense, get to the point kind of guy.  I wrote up a full history of my CH experience going back 20 years and faxed it to his office---but he didn’t have it.  I also brought a copy for him to read and he left the room for about five minutes---I’m assuming to go over what I had written. Smiley

Quit smoking June 1, 2009
Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy 34.7 ng/mL 07/17/2013
jimtew jim.tew  
IP Logged

dannyoct16
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|bay village|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Re: Evaluation of the Neurologist I saw in Columbus OH
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 9:29pm

I moved down to Columbus three years ago and saw O'Donell, I lije to call him O'Doodle. He is the worst doctor I ever saw. He didnt even know about oxygen being abortive when i asked him for a script three years ago. So full of himself and has very little people skills which is fine if you can help me!
I saw Dr.Hussein at the headache clinic in dublin ohio. Good doctor, but didnt like the fact that he answers his personal phone calls during our appointment.,,extremely unprofessional!
I saw Dr. Jones a few weeks ago. He is in upper arlington at the shops at lane. He is wonderful! He listens and is very knowledgeable about these clusters.
I saw the best docs at the cleveland clinic whe i began these chronic clusters 12 years ago so i've seen it all and still looking for the right med combo.
good luck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!