Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone experienced.... (Read 1594 times)
Gigi
CH.com Junior

Praying for pain free
time for all of us!

Winston-Salem, NC
Anyone experienced....
May 23rd, 2009 at 9:42pm

I had a huge C5-6 disk rupture directly onto my spinal cord in January.  On the 26th of January when I got into to see my doctor he sent me to have an MRI. The radiologist that read the films called the results back into my doctor and I was put on bed rest until I could get in to see my Neuro Surg., due to the danger of me becoming paralyzed.  It was only a matter of days until I got into see the Neuro Surg.  I had my surgery on 2/13/09.  I had a cervical fusion w/plate and screws; and he said I had degenerative disk disease; he said the disk above or below was moderately worn and I eventually would have to have them done also. He also said it could take up to a year for my hands, arms and shoulder blade symptoms to go away or I could end up with permanent nerve damage.  They will not know until then.

Well, needless to say the surgery through me in cycle Cry.  The last cycle I had was back in 2005.  Dealing with the muscle spasms in my neck and the cramps and numbness and burning sensations in my hands, arms and shoulder blades has been unreal, and the beast just waiting to pounce at any second also.  Cry  

My question is my doctor is wanting to put me on Neurontin or Lyrica, he says this would help me with the nerve pain & the clusters.  Anyone w/any experience with simuliar circumstances?  I have heard that some people end up having seizures as a side effect of these meds and that the seizures didn't go away when the med was stopped.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Praying for understanding & PFD for all,
Gigi

Pain-free days and nights to all! W/Lots of Love,Gigi
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye."
greenwinglove  
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Re: Anyone experienced....
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2009 at 11:22pm

Sorry about all this, Gigi.
I've found neurontin to be very effective for many types of nerve pain (excluding clusters, for the most part). I haven't heard of anyone having seizures as a side effect, but they can develop if you don't taper of the med properly. It probably won't help the muscle spasms, though.
Wishing you a quick recovery, nani

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

ellenjoanne
CH.com Junior

Greenfield, WI
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2009 at 11:36pm

Hi Gigi,

I'm using Lyrica at the present time.  It has its side effects (drowsiness, an occasional disconnected feeling, constipation, and swelling in my feet), but I'll put up with them.  Also, for some reason, I'm having more shadows than usual, and have even woke up in the morning to realize I was having low grade CH (this morning it occurred).  Lyrica hasn't eliminated my CH during this atypical cycle I'm experiencing (I'm episodic, and usually have CH in late fall & early winter), but it is blunting the CH pain to the point that I don't need to take abortives to stop attacks.  So I'll keep taking the Lyrica.  
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2009 at 11:09pm by ellenjoanne »  

IP Logged

MikeS
CH.com Junior

x0||||||
Reply #3 - May 24th, 2009 at 12:40am

Neurontin was probably the most helpful, with the least side effects of all the "neurological/anti seizure" meds I have used other then what I use now. I have heard of some serious side effects. somewhere on a medical web site. For me I had no problems other then becoming resistant to it's beneficial effects. Check it out and ask you Dr.  I can't even imagine having back problems with CH. I always rock back and forth then curl up during a strong attack, I wish I had some better answers.  Take Care
    MikeS

manicmechanic

IP Logged

Gigi
CH.com Junior

Praying for pain free
time for all of us!

Winston-Salem, NC
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2009 at 8:58am

Can you tell me the dosages you are on?  And how did it take before you seen results from the medicine?

I have had the feeling that a nerve was firing from the spine of my neck, but come to find out I can apply pressure at the right side of the c5-6 disc that was fused and it will dull or almost stop the lighting striking burning pain that goes through my head and around my eye and jaw and neck (bad burning pain at incision site), temple.  I believe that this cycle I'm going through now is mixed with neuralgia cause normally I apply a lot of pressure in the temple area and side of my head that I'm getting hit and it helps somewhat to dull the pain.  but now I can barely touch that side when getting hit it makes it a lot worse and the burning when I touch that area is unbearable.  But I can apply pressure beside the disk and it has helped.  Keep in mind that I have only done this with my last cluster, what worked that time may not work the next but I'm sure I will find out when the next one comes. The nerve seems to be firing beside the disk and the pain shoots up the spine of my neck and then out through my head (eye,temple,neck, etc.)
I still have all the signs of cluster unbearable burning sharp stabbing pain, eye tearing, swells shut, runny nose, etc.
My cycles usually start off gradual then build to a peak, this time it started off like my last cycle ended at a peak.  

Thanks for your help.
Gigi
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2009 at 9:22am by Gigi »  

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye."
greenwinglove  
IP Logged

ellenjoanne
CH.com Junior

Greenfield, WI
Reply #5 - May 24th, 2009 at 11:16pm

Hi Gigi,

I started off at 50 mg/day of Lyrica. It helped a bit, but I still had a couple of major attacks.  So, my neuro upped my dosage to 100 mg/day (which is still a pretty low dose - some people take as much as 900 or 1000 mg/day).  Like I said in an earlier post, I'm having some side effects. but compared to the headaches (my major attacks are typically Kip 8 or 9, with the occasional Kip 10), they're nothing.  So, I'll gladly put up with the side effects, since it's keeping the headaches away, or down to a low enough level (typically Kip 3 or 4), that they're tolerable to me.  But a word of note - when I started Lyrica about 2 months ago, I read up on it's use for CH.  It seems to be sort of an all or nothing drug for treating CH.  Some sufferers said it worked great for treating CH.  Others said it did nothing for their headaches, and they had very unpleasant side-effects.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2009 at 11:17pm by ellenjoanne »  

IP Logged

webgopher
CH.com Junior

I may get older, but I
refuse to grow up.

x0|Lafayette|USA||0|0|IN,Indiana
Reply #6 - Jun 2nd, 2009 at 4:12pm

My doc put me on Neurontin for Restless Leg Syndrome, but I was reading the PDR and it says Neurontin is a vasodialator (countering the vasoconstricting effects of CH meds). I switched to Mirapex and this seems to work for me.

IP Logged

Hosia
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 9:13am

it's very common for docs to put pt's in your situation on Lyrica in our hospital, has he considered other side-procedures to help with symptoms such as sphenopalatine blocks?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Hosia

IP Logged

Gigi
CH.com Junior

Praying for pain free
time for all of us!

Winston-Salem, NC
Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 2:25pm

No.  I am being sent to a pain clinic for pain management.

The paperwork I had to fill out stated that if I didn't follow through with the doctors recommendations (i.e. nerve block etc.) that my pain meds for the pain I am having in my neck, shoulder blades and arms and hands would be cut off totally.  

The pain meds do not help with the clusters but between the pain of the clusters and the pain post-op from the disk rupture I can't take it.  I have actually been in so much pain with both at the same time that I have picked up my pistol and wanted to blow my head off but I couldn't bring myself to do it and plus my new husband took the gun away and hid it.
The medical profession actually have no idea what kind of pain I'm experiencing; they have no empathy or sympathy.  I am scared to death if I go to the pain clinic and the doctor wants to do a procedure and I will end up in more pain than I'm already experiencing.  The thought is just totally unbearable.  I can't take any more pain to this degree.  My family doc gives me my injectable triptan
he gave me 10 vials with 2 refills, but he will not allow me to take more than 2 doses in 24hrs and no more than 2 days per week.  I got the vials to be able to draw up a 2mg dose and make 3 doses out of 1 vial but the pharmacist said that these vials are intended for single dose not multidose vials and have no preservatives added; she said it was up to my doc and me if I want to take a chance of infection and possibly becoming septic from an injection, even though I am using a new sterile needle each time and making things as sterile as possible.

At one point they had me on Oxycodone but I told them I didn't want to go on a stronger pain med., I'm already scared of addiction, so they put me back on the Hydrocodone 10/325, I ask if they would decrease it down to the 5/500 and they said that that would not control my pain.  So, I have been on the 10/325 since 1 week after surgery plus Robaxin 750mg.

I have taken Neurontin before and it made me dizzy and nausea.  I'm scare of nerve blocks because I also have heard some horror stories.  I don't want to seem uncooperative with the doc but I am totally scared of some of these procedures.

greenwinglove  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!