Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 Chronic CH Marginal Success (Read 1083 times)
MikeS
CH.com Junior

x0||||||
O2 Chronic CH Marginal Success
May 22nd, 2009 at 4:51am

I started using O2 a few years after becoming Chronic. (After about 5 years of Episodic CH)  I was having at least 3-4 attacks each Day, occasionally 5. Each Attack lasted almost 3 hours. I found a mask, that with my  regulator seemed to allow plenty of flow). The first attack each day aborted within about 10 min. However subsequent attacks didn't respond as well even after 20 minutes. I used to feel a slight tingling in my feet after about 9 minutes and would try for up to 20 minutes (the tingly moved up my legs to about my knees by 20 minutes. If I didn't get relief by then I would not get relief. Sometimes on my second attack The o2 would abort like the first, then about 30-40 minutes later I would get an attack that would come on quicker and harder then usual then normal. After about 6 months I think I started on Neurontin which which after 6 weeks cut the frequency of attacks by almost 50% (Which lasted only about 10 months after titrating to the max dose my Nuero thought was appropriate. Anybody with similar experiences or ideas? Thanks MikeL.

manicmechanic

IP Logged

Iddy
CH.com Alumnus

Smile

Toronto,Canada
Re: O2 Chronic CH Marginal Success
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2009 at 7:57am

Hi Mike, have you read the oxygen info link on the left of the page?

Iddy

Walk in Peace

"If you can, help others, if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." Dalai Lama

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2009 at 11:01am

I agree about reading the oxygen info tab, on the left edge of your screen.

I would be willing to bet, if you switched to a higher flow rate, and a better mask, you would get more consistent, and quicker results.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2009 at 11:24am

Is your mask a non-rebreather? Under no circumstances do you want room air or exhaled air (which is rich in CO2) to be mixed with the 100% O2 coming out of your tank.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2009 at 12:08pm

Mike,

It sounds like you may need a higher oxygen flow rate and a better breathing technique.  25 liters/minute is the minimum flow rate that supports hyperventilation and higher flow rates above that are even more effective in achieving an abort in less time.

You're having re-attacks if the cluster headache returns in less than 45 minutes after a successful abort with oxygen therapy.  These are common for many of us and will go away around week 3 to 4 after starting oxygen therapy if you maintain a disciplined use of this therapy on every attack including shadows.  

You've indicated your subsequent attacks (re-attacks) take longer to abort...  Unless your serum pH is lower than normal due to another condition, this is usually an indication your oxygen flow rate is too low.  You should be able to achieve the effects of respiratory akalosis after as little as 1 to 2 minutes of hyperventilation.  

This condition is characterized by paresthesia - the tingling or prickling sensation in your fingertips, feet, face, and lips also accompanied with a slight feeling of dizziness as you reduce your CO2 levels below normal.  This is the best indication you're hyperventilating correctly and that you're on your way to a fast abort.  It's also very safe.  I've been using this technique for years and have yet to fall on my backside.

I've done a lot of coaching with folks using a demand valve or high flow rate regulator and found the common mistake most tend to make is to think they're breathing fast enough...  In reality they may have a higher than normal respiration rate but they're usually not breathing deeply enough.  A little CO2 buildup can totally negate 100% oxygen as an abortive for our cluster headache attack.

The best technique is to stand during oxygen therapy... or sit leaned back in a recliner to take pressure off the diaphragm for better lung ventilation.  Try to inhale and exhale as completely and deeply as possible.  I've found squeezing as much exhaled breath out as possible with an abdominal crunch works best.

If you're using a face mask, try using a mouthpiece.  This configuration traps less exhaled breath and keeps the inhaled oxygen at the highest concentration possible.  A good non-rebreathing mask should also have a 3-liter reservoir bag.  This is particularly important as the average adult lungs hold 5 liters and the maximum tidal volume on the inhale cycle is 3 liters if your work at it.  What you're trying to achieve with hyperventilation on 100% oxygen is to cast of CO2 faster than your body is generating it.

It's hard work if you're using this procedure correctly and you will get tired.  Look at it this way, the more effectively you hyperventilate and push your system into respiratory alkalosis, the faster you abort the pain of your attacks.  Shoot me a PM if you have questions.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

MikeS
CH.com Junior

x0||||||
Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2009 at 9:55pm

Thanks for telling me to look at the (oxygen info at the left)
   The place I got my medical o2 from also does my welding o2. The outside salesman who sold me my shop o2 helped me with the regulator/mask. I looked in their web site and realized that I had used an On Demand system, No strap. When I was at Diamond Clinic I tried to tell what I used at home since the o2 they used when an attack came on was worthless because I couldn't pull in as much pure o2 as I was capable of breathing in. I think I will get another on demand mask/valve. Several mention that there results would not be as good for a while then start working well again. Thanks for all the help.
   MikeS

manicmechanic

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!