Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
which optimask? (Read 3734 times)
sylverstar
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

albuquerque, nm
which optimask?
May 21st, 2009 at 8:41pm

Hi All:
I'm getting ready to order an optimask but can't tell the difference between the 2 on the site.  Also, the one time I was at the hospital they used a non rebreather mask but it keep running out of air halfway thru each breath, which was a little irritating to say the least.  I want to be sure I'm not actually buying one of those! The bags are the same size on both - what's the story?

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: which optimask?
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2009 at 10:52pm

Comfort. The expensive one is supposedly more comfortable, and provides a better seal.

Me, I'm a mouthpiece guy, so it makes no sense for me to spend the extra money. And I find the green rubber bag to be more than sufficient in capacity.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2009 at 11:45pm

Go for the one for $27.50.

The difference is in the face mask.  The $27.50 mask is plenty good, for most people.  If you find that you are not happy with the face to mask seal on that one, you can buy the Ambu mask at any time.  But start with the $27.50 setup.

And NO you are not buying the same flimsy piece of crap that you had at the hospital.  This is the Cadillac of rebreather masks.  It was assembled with parts specifically for us clusterheads!

You will love it!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

TedtheBear
CH.com Junior

Palmdale, CA
Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2009 at 12:10am

ClusterChuck wrote on May 21st, 2009 at 11:45pm:
Go for the one for $27.50.

The difference is in the face mask.  The $27.50 mask is plenty good, for most people.  If you find that you are not happy with the face to mask seal on that one, you can buy the Ambu mask at any time.  But start with the $27.50 setup.

And NO you are not buying the same flimsy piece of crap that you had at the hospital.  This is the Cadillac of rebreather masks.  It was assembled with parts specifically for us clusterheads!

You will love it!

Chuck

Ditto!
You'll be amazed how quickly hits are aborted.

Don't just aim high, hit the target!

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2009 at 8:15am

Good advice of our oxygen experts, as always.

Butt
they didn't address the crucial point:

Quote:
... but it keep running out of air halfway thru each breath, which was a little irritating to say the least.

This means it was a pretty decent mask, but, as usual in any hospital, they were afraid to crank up the flow rate high enough. After all, somewhere one must start to make savings in the runaway healthcare expenses.....

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

sylverstar
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

albuquerque, nm
Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2009 at 10:25am

Yay!! 27.50 it is!!! Thanks to all for replying - I'm good to go.  On another note, my attacks have gotten themselves on some very weird schedule - 6 pm to 4 am - so I can go to work, come home and make something to eat, put in a movie, kick back with my tank, and wait.  It's amazing what a schedule will do for you.  Of course, I still get the occasional out of schedule hits, but it's manageable.  Thanks again for the advice.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!