Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why won't Zomig work anymore (Read 821 times)
FrankWyo
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Why won't Zomig work anymore
May 14th, 2009 at 1:30pm

I am sorta new here so if i am posting this in the wrong place let me know. Anyway on with it, I have had ch for almost 30 years, started when I was in the service in '79, at first they said it was sinuses, and after five years of agony a navy doc on board ship finally paid attention to the problem enough to properly diagnous properly. But for along time I was given ferinol&midrin as treatment, no help, then it was amitriptiline which worked but was not always able to stop them, now it is zomig 5mg with a max of 10 mg per 24 hr period. and after 55 mg over a 9 day period the ch's are still kicking my arse. Any ideas I am getting very desperate, I am scared and to old to be so.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Why won't Zomig work anymore
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2009 at 1:35pm

This is an enduring experience with all the meds we use--effective and then stopping for no known reason.

Only option is to start trials with the other triptans and see if one of them works.

You might talk to your doc about trying Zyprexa. An entirely different class of med which to which your body may respond. Worth a try and your doc can give you samples. You will know within 2-3 doses whether it helps. A number of us have had success with it.
=========

Headache 2001 Sep;41(8):813-6  

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. THE INITIAL OLANZAPINE DOSE WAS 5 MG, AND THE DOSE WAS INCREASED TO 10 MG IF THERE WAS NO PAIN RELIEF. THE DOSAGE WAS DECREASED TO 2.5 MG IF THE 5-MG DOSE WAS EFFECTIVE BUT CAUSED ADVERSE EFFECTS. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. IT ALLEVIATES PAIN QUICKLY AND HAS A CONSISTENT RESPONSE ACROSS MULTIPLE TREATED ATTACKS. IT APPEARS TO WORK IN BOTH EPISODIC AND CHRONIC CLUSTER HEADACHE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2009 at 1:37pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2009 at 1:43pm

You didn't mention oxygen. If you haven't tried it yet, or even if you have in the past, please take the time to read the "oxygen info" link on the left. It's proving to be a very effective abortive for many. Cheap, no side effects, certainly worth a try.

Yeah, it's damn near heart breaking when an old reliable stops working. Ow. Cry Sorry he's beating ya up.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

FrankWyo
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2009 at 2:03pm

Am planning on passing the info on to our VA clinic doc to see if she will script it for me, but thanks for the info.

Stay strong

Frank

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!