Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Verapamil or Alternative... (Read 4873 times)
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Verapamil or Alternative...
May 9th, 2009 at 8:54am

Thought they might be rogue hits, but after last night's hits, I am making the decision this weekend whether to go back on Verap or maybe try something else, such as busting.

I would like to try the "alternative" but will see if it comes through for me or not. Made the call so I will wait and see.

I knew my remission would be a short one as my cycles usually last at least one year and this one ended early at the five month mark, with only two months mostly PF except for an odd hit and some very strong shadows.

I have my o2 and am ready to do battle once again, but still so afraid of what's to come. I guess we never get used to the beast and the way it effects our lives. Cry

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Verapamil or Alternative...
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2009 at 9:04am

I hear you Barry.  Sorry he's decided your turn isn't over this year.  Good luck with the decision.  Whatever path you choose I hope you find loads of PF time.

With the success you had with Verapamil last time I'm curious about your reasons for considering alternatives this time around.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #2 - May 9th, 2009 at 9:16am

Thank you Dennis, appreciate your support.
The main reason for not wanting to go with the Verap this time round is we are starting our biking season and I would much rather not be on Verap as my friend Drew37 say's:
"It is like dragging a piano behind you while riding" and although I can ride and exercise on it I am looking to bust the cycle itself.
What have I got to lose, right? Wink

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2009 at 9:16am

I hear ya, Barry. Going back on verapamil is always one of the most difficult decisions I face in managing this thing. I hate the side effects, namely constipation and sexual dysfunction. Fortunately I have been able to manage without it since 2007, but I gotta say that it sure would be easy enough to just crack that bottle open and do it. In the past, when I have combined verapamil with lithium, it has been an absolute beast killer. Unfortunately, it's been a partial Brew killer, too.

Seriously thinking about attending the clusterbuster conference in Chicago in September....

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #4 - May 9th, 2009 at 4:56pm

I just did the "alternative" so we will see. Cheesy

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - May 9th, 2009 at 5:43pm

Damnit Barry sorry to hear that. Here's hoping busting does the trick for you. Single tracks the world over await your return! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Drew37
CH.com Junior

x0|Bracebridge|Canada||0|0|ON,Ontario
Reply #6 - May 9th, 2009 at 6:06pm

good luck Barry, I hope that the alternative lets you defeat the Beast this round  ...  PFDAN wishes bud.

Some sinus infection !!

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #7 - May 10th, 2009 at 12:02am

Had a hit at 10:00pm. o2 took care of it. Still have faith in my decision. Smiley

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2009 at 2:35am

barry_sword wrote on May 9th, 2009 at 8:54am:
Quote:
I have my o2 and am ready to do battle once again,

Barry it's always a battle you will win with the trusty 02 in your armoury.. Wink

I sincerely hope that busting works for you and you can get some relief from the little demon sh*t. Keep us posted and let us know how you fair out.

PFDAN to you my friend....!

Lefty....!

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #9 - May 11th, 2009 at 5:42pm

Getting more hits and they are increasing in intensity.

I am sticking with my decision, just have to "fine-tune" it just like I had to do with the other meds.

Thanks for all your support my friends.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #10 - May 11th, 2009 at 6:46pm

Quote:
Verapamil or Alternative...

Quote:
I would like to try the "alternative"

I knew my remission would be a short one as my cycles usually last at least one year and this one ended early at the five month mark, with only two months mostly PF except for an odd hit and some very strong shadows.

Quote:
The main reason for not wanting to go with the Verap this time

It is like dragging a piano behind you

barry_sword wrote on May 10th, 2009 at 12:02am:
Still have faith in my decision. Smiley

Similar circumstances here, Barry.  

After using verap for the first time with a cycle five years ago, tapering off led to heavy shadows for several months.  Two months pf and it started again, but then stayed chronic for four years.  Last fall it miraculously let up so I tapered off the verap, but started again in December.

2005 I experimented with HBW seeds, first a heavy dose, which got me five days pf, then followed with small doses thereafter.  It got me regular periods of pf but did not bust the cycle after over a month's very routine use, so ceased and withdrew back to verap.  I knew though they had an effect and can work.

Anyway, since December this go-round had been getting worse and worse, verap @ 480 daily was not at all cutting it.  With continued hits per night developing into attacks at work also, raising the verap was the next step, except with a new job that had high physical demands, too much exhaustion had me leery to go higher with verap, but ya gotta do something, I had a decision.

I know there can be difficulty busting while in the worst of a time that may be chronic again, so... sorta threw out any protocol of seed-doing.  Ordering 500 RC seeds I took 50 every other day for a week (200), five days pf then back to where I was it seemed.  So followed by 35 every other day after that for a week (about 125).  The last two weeks now have only been very rare slight shadows and one random hit.  Whatever power they had to bust, I was going to use it. The only side effect was a sore stomach that went away several days later.

Not recommending as a method but they stopped a locomotive.  I'm still on 480 verap, which was practically useless a month ago but things are fine now.  I'll taper off very gradually soon if this keeps up and have leftover seeds for future maintaining.  

These can work, Barry.

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2009 at 7:17pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #11 - May 11th, 2009 at 8:42pm

Thanks Kevin. I just think I have to dose again very soon, so I let my boss know I might need to go home early one day this week as I have a "personal matter" to deal with. Wink and he is cool with that. Cool

B Cool

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #12 - May 11th, 2009 at 9:12pm

Good luck, Barry.   I hope you are PF soon.

I also had to make the decision whether to try seeds or go back to Verapamil.  I chose the later and am having success so far.   The side effects suck though. 

Hang in there!

Hugs,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #13 - May 11th, 2009 at 9:51pm

good luck barry,
I hope you have great results from busting .  It didnt work for me, but thats because I have to take other meds that block its effects.  Everyone says to expect it to get worse before it gets better, so give it time and wait for the response.

you could also ask pink floyd any questions you may have,  hes very knowledgable, and always willing to help.

best wishes
christine

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #14 - May 12th, 2009 at 11:04pm

Hang in there Barry.

Many give up too early. If I can help let me know.

MJ

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #15 - May 12th, 2009 at 11:12pm

Jeannie wrote on May 11th, 2009 at 9:12pm:
  The side effects suck though.  

Jeannie

Jeannie care to elaborate on the side effects.

Kevin
Good job it aint easy busting a set cycle hope this did it for you.
Not many can or will attack the CH as hard as you. And of course some folks should not.

MJ

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #16 - May 13th, 2009 at 6:23am

You all are so awesome, thanks. Last night I did a second dose and got four hits that were up there on the KIP scale.

I could bail on what I am trying and get on the Verapamil but I still have faith this is going to work for me. It just seems like I have really angered the beast, and that scared feeling is back, but if this works it will be all worth the effort.

PFWDAN to each and every one of you's.

IP Logged

Kate in Oz
CH.com Hall of Famer

Australia
Reply #17 - May 14th, 2009 at 8:04pm

Sorry to hear your going through the ringer Barry.  I've got you in my thoughts and hope the busting kicks in soon!!!  There is nothing like the fear associated with a cycle  Sad  I decided to try the verap again this cycle and the shadowing is constant as is the 'piano' feeling. 

Keep up the good fight!

Kate

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #18 - May 15th, 2009 at 4:31pm

The night following my last post I was continuously hit again (I'm jinxed), but followed the next day with a simple 35 seeds, not letting it get a foothold and have been pretty good since.  It's weakened the hell out of its persistence, requiring much less for continued pf.  I'll do the same again even if it's to get a dead cat bounce, looking to taper off the verap soon.  Stay with it, Barry.   Smiley
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2009 at 4:38pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #19 - May 17th, 2009 at 10:04am

I pray for each and everyone of you's who are trying an "alternative" method to kick the beast to the curb.

I am 100% med free while busting with srooms, and increased my dose with a stronger batch yesterday to a "rec level" and got hit 3 times hard last night. Cry

I will continue this regime until I either bust his ass or decide this is not going to work for me and get back on the Verap. Undecided

My o2 tanks are all full and my clustermask is working great, but the fear of each night is starting to get to me again. Thank god for my supporter Angie and all of you for backing me on this decision.

I will continue to update this thread in hopes if this works for me, I might be able to help someone else get some relief by doing this method.

PFDAN to each of you. Smiley

IP Logged

Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
Reply #20 - May 17th, 2009 at 11:06am

Hang in there Barry!!!   Smiley
I only wish I could at least try the alternative route - I have been on stupamax to keep my chronic migraines at bay for years before the beast stepped into my life... It walked in despite my being on topamax.  I am afraid to detox the to allow the alternatives to work.  Migraines might eat me while I'm having a CH them I'll be screwed. Grin   Tongue  So I am stuck with Verap & Lithium... seem to be working for now - they help a little.  
I admire your determination and bravery!!  Gotta see if it truly works or it isn't worth it, right!?? Cheesy  Nuthin's easy - esp. with what we've got to work with... Not any easier than starting on any other med anyway - can just think of it like that!!  Takes a few weeks to see if verap works right??  hehe

Wishing you PF times with this new batch, and hoping it sticks!!   Wink

Val

val2651  
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #21 - May 17th, 2009 at 4:45pm

Thanks Val, I guess I am lucky that the only meds I take are for CH's, but this round I decided no to Verap. and that means med free so I am able to give this a try.
Pray you get some PF time very soon. Smiley

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #22 - May 24th, 2009 at 7:15am

The hits are becoming more frequent and increasing with intensity each day. I was going to dose again this weekend but after much discussion with my best supporter and wife Angie we decided it might be best to start back on the Verapamil and not to dose.

Maybe I did not give this enough time or maybe I needed more of it, but I am getting labeled hard and need to get this under control. I know where I stand with the Verap and slowly getting it back into my system.

The o2 is working but is taking much longer this time around to abort the hits, especially the after I go to sleep hits, they are the worse by far!

I might try this method again with another cycle, but don't know, I will see when that time comes, but for now I am on Verapamil and o2.

PFWDAN to each and everyone of you's.

Barry

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #23 - May 24th, 2009 at 8:37am

We each walk or own path Barry.  Sorry your most recent trail led to more pain.  I hope the verap kicks in quickly for you.

Any chance you can get a pred taper to bridge the gap?

Loads of PF vibes coming your way...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #24 - May 24th, 2009 at 8:47am

Thanks Dennis. I hope and have confidence the Verap will work again for me, hopefully as well as my last cycle.

I have a script for a pred taper, but would rather not go that route, as it makes me feel real s#*ty, but if I can't take it anymore I will get on it.
Thanks again my friend. Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!