Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Indocin alternatives? (Read 911 times)
Kristy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Indocin alternatives?
May 3rd, 2009 at 11:28pm

I just posted a brief intro on the intro board, so I won't repeat it here.  I've taken Indocin for about 20 years for CPH and I know it's not good for my liver.  Has anyone found any alternatives (herbs/accupuncture) to Indocin? 

Also, has anyone found a link between neurotransmitter imbalances and CPH (or even CH)?  My autistic son has some serious neurotransmitter imbalances and I read that that can cause chronic headaches.  I was also recently tested for heavy metal load and my arsenic and lead levels are too high.  Haven't had my neurotransmitters checked, but I'm thinking about it.

Kristy

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Indocin alternatives?
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2009 at 8:47am

If you've been using Indocin for 20-yrs without side effects you have pretty good evidence of its safety--especially with the relatively small doses which I assume you are using.

Indocin's primary potential is for stomach upset/ulcer formation. That potential increases with your age but your doc can give you an effective med which protects the stomach, allowing you to continue the benefit of the Indocin.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Kristy
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2009 at 3:10pm

I forgot to mention that I do also take Nexium 40mg with 75mg of Indocin every day.  I took OTC NSAIDS for more than 10 years before I started the Indocin....just seems like there could be some damage....

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2009 at 8:47am

A review of medical literature this morning shows that Indocin is still the recommended med for CPH.

The newer formulations of this class of drugs (U.S.--Vioxx and Celebrex, etc.) may have reduced some of the toxic properties of indocin but with the consequence of being less effective for some of the disorders for which indocin was the drug of choice.

I used indocin for many years for an auto immune disorder with great success but then my gut started to rebel and I had to change to Celebrex. An almost useless change!

From what you have told us, it sounds like you have an effective combination working with, it appears, no new options. If you and your doc have no evidence of harm......

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!