Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nothing but O2 (Read 878 times)
TedtheBear
CH.com Junior

Palmdale, CA
Nothing but O2
May 3rd, 2009 at 9:22pm

Hey!
Wondering how many of you are on O2 as an abort - with no other form of treatment.
Meds almost killed me awhile back because of my "high" tolerance for pain. My body reacts to the side effects more than to the effectiveness for relieving pain. None of the "top liner" meds worked for me. I mean NONE!! Imitrex shots were a joke.
I am so spellbound by how the O2 works for me - and it DOES work, but I wish the abort time (average 15-20 min. @ 15 lpm.) could be faster (I'm working on it).

Don't just aim high, hit the target!

IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Re: Nothing but O2
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2009 at 10:43pm

wow, i cant believe trex shots didnt help you.  You do have a high tolerance,  maybe you should get a regulator that allows up to 25lpm to cut your time in half Cool Cool

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2009 at 10:51pm

Yeah Ted, if you can score a regulator that goes up to 25 lpm...or even a demand regulator, might be worth a shot at speeding up the abort time.

I have used imitrex in the past but have vowed to try and go with 02 only as my abort next round. Last cycle I was still using oral cafergot,  combined with the 02, to prevent the return attacks when I turned off my 02. Several people posted they got the same results chugging an energy drink when they started the 02. The 02 quashes the attack, energy drink would buy them several hours of pain free time. Intend to try that next cycle.

Do you have an effective prevent you take when on cycle? verapamil, lithium, topomax?

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

TedtheBear
CH.com Junior

Palmdale, CA
Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2009 at 11:00pm

Guiseppi wrote on May 3rd, 2009 at 10:51pm:
Do you have an effective prevent you take when on cycle? verapamil, lithium, topomax?

Joe

Those were some of the meds that were doing me in! They do nothing AT ALL to relieve MY pain. That's why 2 neuro's bit the dust - they just threw up their hands and said see ya! It was #3 that put me the O2.
I just abort the hits, not the cycle.

Don't just aim high, hit the target!

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2009 at 11:44pm

Ted, I am a 30 year sufferer, and the last ten have been chronic.  I gave up taking any preventatives, because none of them worked anymore.  I did not have the adverse reactions that you had, it is just that they weren't doing anything for me.

So, even though I get LOTS of hits, I just abort with the oxygen.  There are rare occasions when the beast is particularly obstinate (hmmm ... maybe THAT is where my kids got that trait ... Hmmmm ) and I would finalize the hit by taking a shot of Imitrex.  I am not suppose to be taking the 'trex, as I have had several heart attacks, but at the point when I take the 'trex, I could care less what the 'trex does to my ticker ... What a sad shape to be forced into!

So, basically, YES, I am like you, in that I only use oxygen to fight the beast ... And there are others, here too.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!