Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Neuro appointment tommorrow (Read 1154 times)
pittsburghgirl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Pittsburgh, PA
Neuro appointment tommorrow
Apr 28th, 2009 at 2:14pm

Any advise would be appreciated. I do not know yet if I have cluster headaches. I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia a few years ago due to excruciating stabbing pains in my eyes (one at a time and lasting less than a minute). My neuro thought it was more likely to be TN, but possibly CH, and I was put on Keppra. That seemed to help greatly with my pain.

Fast forward to last month. I began having daily headaches in my left eye that would spread outwards from there. I thought they were migraines. I had similar headaches last fall and my GP put me on 50mg of imipramine (which does absolutely nothing). I've tried OTC advil, aleve, tylenol without much luck either. My GP referred me to my neuro who increased my Keppra dosage. He said if that didn't work we needed to discuss cluster headaches and he wanted to start me on Topamax.

My concern is that my husband and I would like to start a family soon, and I'm not sure what to do about treatment. Is there anything any of you would suggest? I plan to be pretty thorough with my neuro tommorrow. I have the first appointment of the day. I want to make sure we get this right.

I've had these headaches for more years than I can remember. I thought they were migraines. I have been told that it was my sinuses. I even had surgery in January, hoping to ease the pain. My left sinuses were blocked. I have had three root canals on the upper left side of my mouth. My headaches are mostly on the left side.

I have so many more questions, but I'll keep it short until I know more.

Thank you in advance.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Neuro appointment tommorrow
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 3:24pm

Print this for the doc. You have other choices which are effective.
=====

Topiramate Linked to Birth Defects, but Results Should Be Interpreted With Caution

Caroline Cassels

July 23, 2008 — Preliminary results from a new study suggest taking the antiepileptic drug (AED) topiramate (Topamax, Ortho-McNeil Neurologics) during pregnancy, either alone or in combination with other AEDs, has been linked to an increased risk for congenital malformations.

Investigators found that topiramate, also used to prevent migraine, was linked to an overall rate of cleft lips or cleft palates that was 11 times higher than that of the general population. Of 78 live male births, hypospadias occurred in 4 of these infants, 2 of which were considered major congenital malformations (MCMs). This rate is 14 times higher than that seen in the general population.

HOWEVER, THE INVESTIGATORS AND OTHER EXPERTS SAY THE FINDINGS SHOULD BE INTERPRETED WITH CAUTION, OWING TO THE SMALL NUMBER OF STUDY SUBJECTS AND WIDE CONFIDENCE INTERVALS.

"More research needs to be done to confirm these results, especially since it was a small study. But these results should get the attention of women with migraine and their doctors, since topiramate is also used for preventing migraine, which is an even more common condition that frequently occurs in women of childbearing age," principal investigator John Craig, MRCP, from the Royal Group of Hospitals, in Belfast, Northern Ireland, said in a statement from the American Academy of Neurology.

The study is published in the July 22 issue of Neurology.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

pittsburghgirl
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2009 at 1:19pm

Well, just an update. I'm not sure if this is where I belong yet. The neuro did not give me a definate opinion. He sent me for an MRI and I do not have the results yet. He did start me on topamax. I am on 50mg now. I am supposed to go up to 100mg but I can barely stand the side effects. My hands and feet are numb and have pins and needles. I am definately "spacy" and forgetful. It also makes me incredibly sleepy. He added this on top of 1500mg of Keppra twice a day which is for the trigeminal neuralgia (for the stabbing pains in my eyes) and 1200mg of neurontin. I'm disgusted with the rate at which he prescribes these medications. As for planning a family, he told me to consult my OB/Gyne. She had told me to talk to my neuro. So I'm in a loop. I see my PCP on June 11th and I'll talk to him. He's been very supportive (unlike the neuro). The neuro just kinda shook his head. He said he thought I would have to stop my meds but he wanted to stop the headaches first.

On another note, I have an appointment with my ENT tommorrow. I'm hoping to have her do a lidocaine injection of my occipital nerves. That tends to slow these headaches down more than anything else.

For the most part, my headaches are down to about half the level they were. I get these odd little aches in and around my eye(s), but they haven't really been full blown. The last full blown headache was about a week ago.

That's all for now.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2009 at 2:13pm

I believe that I'm seeing two patterns emerging in the last months:

1. Neuros starting, as the first med used, topiramate or neurontin and,
2. Our folks regularly complain about the side effects and/or relative ineffectiveness of these meds compared to the older, more established meds used for CH.

I regard these two meds as still experimental in that effective outcomes has not been established. If that's true, it does not make sense why a new patient should not be started on those meds with a long track record of effectiveness and relative freedom from side effects (or at least dosing & side effects which are well understood and manageable.)

I suspect that neuros are reading the latest journal articles which say: try this or that; the new promising magic bullet. And we become the test subjects.

Suggest that you print out the Rozen article and use it as a discussion tool with your doc. Ask him to explain why the older meds are not worth trying before the new products.

Simply put, newer is not automatically better--and usually not cheaper!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2009 at 3:30pm

Hey there,

Here is an abstract (I have the whole article if you're interested PM me - it is 10 pages) of one prescribed treatment for pregnant women - topiramate is def out of the picture, but a few of the other drugs - verap, sumatriptan, seem to be ok for use according to these folks??  with O2 as the Preferred abortive-   I have another short article about a woman that O2 didn't work for in her last few weeks who used nasal lidocaine.

Treatment of cluster headache in pregnancy and lactation.

TP Jurgens, C. Schaefer, A. May. Cephalalgia. April 2009 v29 i4 p391(10).

Byline: TP Jurgens (1,3), C Schaefer (2), A May (3)

Keywords:Cluster headache; pregnancy; lactation; triptan; treatment

Abstract:Cluster headache is a rare disorder in women, but has a serious impact on the affected woman's life,especially on family planning. Women with cluster headache who are pregnant need special support, including the expertise of an experienced headache centre, an experienced gynaecologist and possibly a teratology information centre. The patient should be seen through all stages of the pregnancy. A detailed briefing about the risks and safety of various treatment options is mandatory. In general, both the number of medications and the dosage should be kept as low as possible. Preferred treatments include oxygen, subcutaneous or intranasal sumatriptan for acute pain and verapamil and prednisone/ prednisolone as preventatives. If there is a compelling reason to treat the patient with another preventative, gabapentin is the drug of choice. While breastfeeding, oxygen, sumatriptan and lidocaine for acute pain and prednisone/prednisolone, verapamil, and lithium as preventatives are the drugs of choice. As the individual pharmacokinetics differ substantially, adverse drug effects should be
considered if unexplained symptoms occur in the newborn.

Author Affiliation: (1)Department of Neurology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg,(2)Berlin Institute of Clinical Teratology, Pharmakovigilanz- und Beratungszentrum Embryonaltoxikologie, Berlin, and (3)Department of Systems Neuroscience, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany
Article History: Received 14 January 2008, accepted 9 August 2008

Article note:Arne May MD, Assistant Professor of Neurology, Department of Systems Neuroscience, University Clinic Hamburg Eppendorf (UKE), Martinistr. 52, D-20246 Hamburg. Tel. + 49-40-42803 9189, fax + 49-40-42803 9955, e-mail: a.may@uke.uni-hamburg.de

val2651  
IP Logged

FrankF
CH.com Alumnus

Simi Valley, CA, USA
Reply #5 - May 31st, 2009 at 1:36pm

Hi pittsburghgirl. When you mentioned "excruciating stabbing pains in my eyes (one at a time and lasting less than a minute)"... I am also thinking Chronic Paroxysmal Hemicrania (CPH) may be a possibility because of the short dime duration of each attack. Something else for the neurologist to consider.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!