Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
KUDZU is Awesome! (Read 2467 times)
deblegg
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

KUDZU is Awesome!
Apr 26th, 2009 at 7:31pm

OK guys, I tried this last year and am into a cycle again now. I am in shock at the realization of this. I normally get my clusters every 2 years for 45 days. However that has changed to yearly starting last year. The natural food store did extensive research for me and we found that KUDZU seemed to be helpful.

I had topamax, verapamil on board and used the Kudzu at the first sign of a headache. The full blown headache cycle NEVER produced.

Here I am again this year into a new cycle. Kudzu in hand! Now....... many people would use KUDZU and drink an energy drink. Using topamax I cannot do that because I can't drink carbonated beverages. But, you might want to give it a try!!

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Re: KUDZU is Awesome!
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2009 at 9:43pm

SO glad to hear that you have found something that works well for you!

Kudzu has been used by many on this site, to great results.  It is fairly well documented, on this site, that it can be extremely effective for many sufferers.

It is also good to hear that others are aware of its helpfulness!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2009 at 10:07pm

what is kudzu???

Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2009 at 10:42pm

coach_bill wrote on Apr 26th, 2009 at 10:07pm:
what is kudzu???

Coach Bill

Bill i think it's an ancient form of karate. Once you get  anything above a kip 5 you give yourself a quick HIyaaaaaaa...! on the offending area of pain i.e left or right side and apparently the pain subsides within minutes...! Smiley

Sorry Bill I haven't a clue...

Lefty...!

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 12:41am

Kudzu is a plant that was introduced into the United States in the mid to late 1800, to be used to enhance the soil and for erosion control.  Farmers were encouraged to plant it, for food for cattle, erosion control, and refreshing the soil.  In the 1950's it was finally listed as a nuisance plant.

The problem is, as was discovered, the southeastern United States has a PERFECT climate to nurture the growth of this fast growing vine.  It has and will grow over other plants and trees, and kill them, because they keep the sun from getting to the plants and trees that they cover.  It is said, never park your car next to a kudzu plant, because by morning, it will be totally engulfed by the kudzu plant.  That is stretching it a bit ... It takes TWO nights to do that ...LOL ... (JK)

It is a difficult plant to eradicate.  It has become quite the nuisance plant, here in the southeast.

So that is what the plant is, now to its medicinal properties.

Kudzu root, kudzu extract, and kudzu tea, have been claimed to have beneficial results when used to treat alcohol cravings for alcoholics.  It is claimed to have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, too.  Some schools of thought feel that it is beneficial in preventing certain cancers.  It is suppose to be beneficial in treating diarrhea, allergies, post menopausal problems like diabetes type II and  hypertension.  

It has also shown to have helped in treating migraines and cluster headaches!  (I bet you never thought I would get to THAT!!! LOL)  It is not know why, but it has helped many cluster headache sufferers to skip cycles, repeatedly, or to at least lessen them, significantly.

Now you know absolutely EVERY thing there is to know about kudzu!  (Yeah, RIGHT!)

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

sshaikh01
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Houston, TX
Reply #5 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 12:58am

where do u get it???? and how do u use it????

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 2:14am

sshaikh01 wrote on Apr 27th, 2009 at 12:58am:
where do u get it???? and how do u use it????

Health food stores.

Just be careful if you're on an SSRI, or MAOI. Anything that messes with the metabolisim of serotonin, or dopamine should not be taken with Kudzu.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 4:51am

ClusterChuck wrote on Apr 27th, 2009 at 12:41am:
Now you know absolutely EVERY thing there is to know about kudzu!  (Yeah, RIGHT!)

It's a good bloody start though...! Wink

Would I be right in thinking you take as a preventive around the time your cycle begins. In my case each February ( episodic roughly every 2 years)

Lefty...!

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

webgopher
CH.com Junior

I may get older, but I
refuse to grow up.

x0|Lafayette|USA||0|0|IN,Indiana
Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 5:22am

I think I'm developing an allergic reaction to Topamax after being on to for over two years now. As I am a chronic sufferer I need a something in pretty short order as the itching  is starting to drive me mad. I'll have to drop by the health food store after work and see if they can get me some kudzu. I dropped back the Topamax by 25 mg at night and the eye twitches are starting but Monster Hitman shots can usually hold the devil back.

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 8:08am

I love hearing success stories! It's fantastic when someone finds the magic bullet, even if it works just for one cycle.

Also thanks to our new public service network - ChuckTV. What's on next week?  Wink

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
CH.com Hall of Famer

comfortably numb

x0||USA||||IL,Illinois
Reply #10 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 7:31pm

Kudzu for clusters was just written up in Readers Digest. It has been published in peer-reviewed medical journals and is beginning to get the "play" it deserves.

This research began here and was done by Dr. Andrew Sewell of Clusterbuster fame Wink

One more advancement in cluster treatments due solely to cluster sufferers and the dedicated people at this site. Much of the important background information and data/information collection was done by Flo and a few other dedicated people here willing to do the work.

If you want something done right, ya gotta do it yourself. Not many non-prescription (read:cheap and healthy) treatments being brought to market by the medical community.

Bobw

"those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
- C.S. Lewis
WWW psiloscribe pinkshroomrat  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 7:13am

All it did for me was give me gas (or more gas).

but I probably did it wrong

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
CH.com Hall of Famer

comfortably numb

x0||USA||||IL,Illinois
Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:42am

Bob P wrote on Apr 28th, 2009 at 7:13am:
but I probably did it wrong

Nobody does wrong, better than you Bob.

Wink
Bobw

"those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
- C.S. Lewis
WWW psiloscribe pinkshroomrat  
IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 9:00pm

Thanks for all the great info.. Does anyone know if it is something that would interfer with the clusterbusters treatment, Or work along side it?? Thanks

Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 9:15pm

I think they recommend detoxing off kudzu before busting, but I'd ask Pink Floyd.

Also, notably, it does have blood thinning properties and can lower blood pressure (it apparently has calcium channel blocking properties, like verapamil), so if someone is on blood thinners or has low BP, kudzu should probably not be taken. 

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #15 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 10:17pm

sounds great, i am going to ask my doc about it.  although since she wont get a kickback from a drug rep for it she probably wont recommend it.  (does that sound cynical?  oops)
Cheesy

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!