Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
energy drink---5 hour energy?? (Read 4595 times)
Truett
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Darlington, SC
energy drink---5 hour energy??
Apr 19th, 2009 at 6:09am

good morning all.  well not really good, but it is morning.  last 24 hours have been bad for me, hope not for yall.  4 since 9 am yesterday (20 hours or so) so still room to make 5 before the 24 is up.    I did not really start this to whine though so on with the topic.

I have done a lot of reading on here about people drinking red bull as an abortive. I decided to try this "5 hour energy" shot thingy.  Its in a 2 ounce bottle so can be carried in my pocket.  I cant really tell if it is working or not. took one at begining and still lasted 40-45 min.  Does have caffine and taurine in it.
I just wanted to know if any of you red-bull'ers had tried it and if it worked or not. or if i just need to get some of the real stuff and try it.
Just looking for a hand while grasping at straws.

David

"Been there before, but not like this
Seen it before, but not like this
Never before have I ever
Seen it this bad "
shaggy17sc  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: energy drink---5 hour energy??
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 7:21am

Never tried it. The makers say it contains as much caffeine as a cup of coffee, but they don't say how much. They also don't say how much taurine is in it. I find energy drinks that have 1,000 mg of taurine or more per serving work better for me.

The other thing that scares me away is that it is sweetened with sucrolose, or Splenda. Artificial sweeteners have triggered hits for me in the past, and I usually steer clear of them.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 8:52am

Good morning David.
I have used Red Bull to abort CH's in the past and it has worked fairly well. But my problem along with other's is that you are not suppose to have anymore than a couple per 24hr period. Not much help to me when I get 4 or more hits within that period.
My Red Bull here in Canada is 250ml cans, or 8.45 ounces and contains 1000mg of Taurine and 80mg Caffeine. It must be chugged as quickly as possible, like in one or two swallows.
Another very important thing to remember is DO-NOT take energy drinks like this one when taking other meds such as Verapamil. The side effects could be very bad.
o2 is my #1 abortive, with no side effects and can stop a hit within minutes. Check out the oxygen info in yellow to your left, it works for most of us here.
Print off some of the info to your left and talk to your doc about what might be best for you to try.
Hang in there, we are all in this together.

Barry Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 9:14am

From redbull.com:

Quote:
HOW MANY CANS OF RED BULL ENERGY DRINK CAN YOU DRINK PER DAY? HOW MANY CANS OF RED BULL ENERGY DRINK CAN I DRINK IN ONE GO?

Red Bull® Energy Drink is a functional drink and not a thirst quencher. Generally, you can compare its digestibility with that of coffee, and this is a good guide to the amount you can drink. It is recommended that the daily consumption including the consumption at one time of Red Bull® Energy Drink should conform to a person's intake of caffeine, and this varies from person to person. The caffeine in one can of Red Bull equals that of one cup of filtered coffee.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Truett
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Darlington, SC
Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 9:34am

barry_sword wrote on Apr 19th, 2009 at 8:52am:
Good morning David.
I have used Red Bull to abort CH's in the past and it has worked fairly well. But my problem along with other's is that you are not suppose to have anymore than a couple per 24hr period. Not much help to me when I get 4 or more hits within that period.
My Red Bull here in Canada is 250ml cans, or 8.45 ounces and contains 1000mg of Taurine and 80mg Caffeine. It must be chugged as quickly as possible, like in one or two swallows.
Another very important thing to remember is DO-NOT take energy drinks like this one when taking other meds such as Verapamil. The side effects could be very bad.
o2 is my #1 abortive, with no side effects and can stop a hit within minutes. Check out the oxygen info in yellow to your left, it works for most of us here.
Print off some of the info to your left and talk to your doc about what might be best for you to try.
Hang in there, we are all in this together.

Barry Smiley

Did not know that....im currently taking verampamil only at 120 mg, but gonna change that come monday since it aint doin any good (though it has only been a few days)   I have indocin that i can take, but only 2 a day and either they or the verapamil are tearing up my stomach. i was hoping the energy drinks would keep me from taking them, or at least give me a fall back when i have passed my 2 for the day.

Never before have I ever
Seen it this bad "
shaggy17sc  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 9:49am

Barry's absolutely right - stay away from taurine when taking verapamil. Messes with heart rhythms.

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 9:59am

David, I can just offer my own personal experience with Verap. I am out of cycle right now but I was taking 480mg Verapamil daily but it can take up to two weeks to get into your system. We are not doctors but simply people who are willing to share what works or doesn't work for CH's.

The Verap did not eat up my stomach but I sure found out I needed a little help with the constpation factor. I took a small bowl of hi-fibre cereal each morning and that helped with the plumbing. The short term memory thing was also noted, but it was by far better than the latter.

There are many other prevents out there, such as Lithium, but that one was not for me. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing, this is one awesome support group and they have helped me get my life back, and I am sure we can help get your's back too.  Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Truett
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Darlington, SC
Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 12:36am

I dont think its the verapamil messing with my stomach. i belive that is the indocin.  gonna try to get in to se dr tomorrow and get some imitrex shots.

Never before have I ever
Seen it this bad "
shaggy17sc  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 4:15pm

I've been using the 5hr energy drinks lately with mixed success.  I started doing it after the others started giving me stomach troubles.  I was getting reflux afterwards, although Coke doesn't do so.  I usually slam one and follow it up with coffee,but then I follow everything up with coffee. 

I'm with Barry and Brew on the Verap and energy drinks.  That is a no-no.  I quit taking Verap a couple of years ago though as  the side effects were worse than the hits.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 9:35pm

crap,  I didnt know that about the verap mixed with the red bull.  Great Sad, I am probably doing abunch of damage that I didnt even realize.

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 9:40pm

Did you tell your doctor you were doing both?

I'm not sure it does any permanent damage, btw.

IP Logged

Truett
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Darlington, SC
Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:17pm

I went to the dr today, and asked specificly about the verapamil and energry drinks. He said that he has no evidence that it would cause a problem mixing them.  then told me that i could be getting these headaches becasue all the caffine i take..... 

Upped the verapamil to 240 and now have some imetrex tablets to try.  He did not want to give the shots or the o2.   Said the shots take just as long as the pills, and did not want to try the o2 till after we see how the imetrex does. 

I also got some melatonin  hoping it'll help me sleep through. man i hope so.

Never before have I ever
Seen it this bad "
shaggy17sc  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:32pm

Truett wrote on Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:17pm:
I went to the dr today, and asked specificly about the verapamil and energry drinks. He said that he has no evidence that it would cause a problem mixing them.  then told me that i could be getting these headaches becasue all the caffine i take.....  

Upped the verapamil to 240 and now have some imetrex tablets to try.  He did not want to give the shots or the o2.   Said the shots take just as long as the pills, and did not want to try the o2 till after we see how the imetrex does.  

I also got some melatonin  hoping it'll help me sleep through. man i hope so.

That's at least four strikes. Get a new doc. This guy doesn't have a clue.

IP Logged

Lottie
CH.com Veteran

Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 6:02pm

I use energy drinks from the day I found this site. I hate them (disgusting taste) but I do think they help with clusters. I think they kept some of my attacks from getting 'pacers'.

A few weeks ago my neuro put me on Verapamil. Since it's not working yet, I still use energy drinks at daytime to help with the less severe attacks, shadows and help keep my eyes open... And now I read that I shouldn't be using these in combination with the Verapamil! I want to slap myself for not telling my neuro about the energy drinks.  Smiley
I didn't notice any side effects though.

So much for the energy drinks, because of the taurine in it. Will coffee be ok to try? I hate coffee even more than the energy drinks, but I need something to help me get through the day.

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 6:52pm

Lottie wrote on Apr 21st, 2009 at 6:02pm:
I use energy drinks from the day I found this site. I hate them (disgusting taste)
Lottie have you tried the cranberry flavoured energy drinks, not to bad you know...! For me personally I really don't know if the energy drinks worked or not my heavy shadows were constantly coming and going all day long it was hard to established what worked and what didn't... Undecided

Lefty..!

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

Lottie
CH.com Veteran

Reply #15 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 7:30pm

I've tried several... never came across one with cranberry taste though.

I also find it hard to say if it helped with the CH attacks, that's why I said I think it helped. I guess it could've been a coincidence, but I'd rather think it helped than think it was just a coincidence.  Undecided

Lottie

IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #16 - Apr 25th, 2009 at 10:38pm

darn,  I just took my verap, and chugged down a red bull.  didnt know about not mixing them.  I never noticed even one side effect from verap.   have been on big doses of it too.    Cool Cool

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Emjay
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #17 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:00pm

I like Rock Star Light Vanilla Shake.  I told my neuro that I used the energy drink with Maxalt MLT when out and he did not think it would be a problem for my heart.  I am a pretty big coffee drinker though so the energy drink is in lieu of the coffee. 

I stay away from tablets because they are useless.

Stick with the O2 and get the injections; your doctor seems to be very uninformed.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:08pm

Emjay wrote on Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:00pm:
I like Rock Star Light Vanilla Shake.  I told my neuro that I used the energy drink with Maxalt MLT when out and he did not think it would be a problem for my heart.  I am a pretty big coffee drinker though so the energy drink is in lieu of the coffee.  

I stay away from tablets because they are useless.

Stick with the O2 and get the injections; your doctor seems to be very uninformed.

It's not triptans mixed with energy drinks that presents a problem. It's verapamil (a calcium channel blocker) and energy drinks.

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #19 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:34pm

I use verapamil and energy drinks.

I don't use energy drinks to excess.  If I'm getting slammed at the end of a  mini cycle, I may use 3 sugar free red bulls in a day, along with the other meds.  I was using the energy drinks before I started verapamil this last time and the neurologist has monitored me and ok'd it. Verap didn't work for me at all the last time around, but has this time around.  I personally thought the energy drinks may have helped the verap start working better for me.  The doc & neuro were more nervous about me trying verap again, and I was started (believe it or not) at only 20 mg a day and am now at 320 mg a day.

I agree with Brew about the Dr.  Some of the answers are strikes against him.  However, if you try the imitrex and it doesn't work well and then he has you try the O2 - that would show he is willing to learn and I'd keep him.

Charlotte
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2009 at 10:44pm by Charlotte »  

IP Logged

j0hnglist
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #20 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 1:16pm

I went to the neuro today and he told me any type of caffeine will result in rebound clusters and eventually raise the number you have. he said STAY AWAY from caffeine! What do you guys think??

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #21 - Apr 30th, 2009 at 2:17pm

j0hnglist wrote on Apr 30th, 2009 at 1:16pm:
I went to the neuro today and he told me any type of caffeine will result in rebound clusters and eventually raise the number you have. he said STAY AWAY from caffeine! What do you guys think??

Perhaps if you overdo it. But the benefits outweigh the downside.

JMHO. YMMV.

IP Logged

Emjay
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #22 - May 3rd, 2009 at 3:13pm

Caffeine is a drug and should not be used to excess, as would be true of any drug!  However, it is a constrictor!  I have never heard that using caffeine would result in a rebound although if a caffeine addict suddenly stops taking caffeine, she may have a headache! 

BTW, I use the verap with the maxalt mlt and energy drinks when I am away from the O2.  Sorry I was not clear  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #23 - May 4th, 2009 at 12:05am

now have some imetrex tablets to try.

This quack does NOT know clusters!  He is an idiot.

He did not want to give the shots or the o2.

Said the shots take just as long as the pills

This quack does NOT know clusters!  He is an idiot.  Not only is he an idiot, he does not know his meds, either!  That statement is totally wrong. 180 degrees from the truth!

did not want to try the o2 till after we see how the imetrex does.

Time to fire him for incompetence, and get someone that knows what he/she is talking about.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!