Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imitrex Inj Issue-And More (Read 2603 times)
DannyV
CH.com Veteran

Save Deadwood

x0|Boston|USA||0|0|MA,Massachusetts
Imitrex Inj Issue-And More
Apr 16th, 2009 at 9:10am

I have had my monthly supply of 60 Imitrex Injections(which I have been taking for 10 years, with NO ill affects) cut down by my newest Neuro- to 9 inj. a month.(Convieniently the maximum allowed by my insurance without prior authorization)
Please, I would rather not anyone here attempt to tell me of all the drawbacks of Imitrex.
Please,I have been at this for over 20 years, and I know what works best for ME.
Luckily, I have been stockpiling the injections for 10 years and I have a large reserve of it.
Most are out dated though. I have never had any trouble using expired injections. Has anyone else?
Because I am going to be going through a lot of it over the next few months.

I DO use oxygen and I have been on HIGH doses of Verapamil for 15 years.

I do use pain medication, and if I must explain that to anyone here who intends to lecture me about it ,let's just say I went about 10 years cold turkey, and I now choose to have access to pain meds if I want them, as opposed to not having access to any if I fell I was in NEED of some.

Also, on a side note.
I am in Boston and have recently been in touch with Dr.Halpern at Harvard-McClean(who is leading the study into ch relief through shroom use and other halucinagens)
I have asked him for permission to post on this site his last letter to me which had some VERY exciting news. As soon as he says OK(hopefully), I will post.
Perhaps some of you already know his most recent developments.
It has seemed like Forever since I started waiting for him to get approval from the FDA for a drug study.
That is still just a possibility it seems, but he has made very interesting discoveries in the meantime.
I have'nt been on this site in a while, so perhaps I am not telling you people anything you don't already know.-Peace and Love Everyone.-Danny V

My life is like water, swirrling down the drain.&&Gonna get me a shotgun, and disconnect my brain.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Imitrex Inj Issue-And More
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2009 at 11:36am

Hi Danny,

Sorry the beast has found you again. 

No lectures here bro.  We went through all that during your last cycle Wink

I've not had any issues with expired Imitrex injections.  They work just like the new ones.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2009 at 10:34pm

been using three year old doses and they work the same.  I was worried at first as to whether they would work or not, but they still kick ass.

where is the link to the study about the shrooms by the harvard doc?  could you post it?  I would like to see it..  thanks in advance.

good luck Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 12:47am

Many have posted about using expired trex and having no problem with it. Not suprising since many stockpile it off cycle to counter the insurance companies 'limits" when we're on cycle! Wink

Sounds like you have a good handle on the pros and cons so no lecture here either. Hoping you pick a short cycle this go round!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 12:54am

Danny,
Expired med have worked for me too.  Both Trex and Zomig...

Thomas

IP Logged

Jack T
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 11:05am

Is it possible for Imitrex to break a cycle?  Ive been in a cycle for a month and half now.  I was strictly using O2, but got some imitrex tablets (5).  I used them earlier in the week and still got slammed.  Last night though, rather than getting them 4-5 times in a night I was able to sleep through without a problem......and Im still feeling pretty good today....Could be a good nights sleep though

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 1:19pm

Jack,

Just venturing a guess here, but I wouldn't bank on it being the Trex that gave you the sleep last night.  It's method of action is a short acting vascoconstrictor used as a abort for a single attack, not for a cycle.

It's likely that your cycle is winding down on it's own, and it's been noted by several sufferes that O2 alone without other meds tends to find their cycles shorter than in the past with med cocktails.

YMMV

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Emjay
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 8:15pm

Jack,

I found that tablets do not impact a CH because it takes too darn long to work through your system, however the injections are amazingly fast.  Like others here, I use a variety of strategies including O2 (awesome), imitrix injections (which I stockpile), Rock Star Light energy drinks (don't like Red Bull), Melatonin at night to sleep (have not had a night hit since I started with 10mgs).  I also take 480mgs of Verapamil as a preventative and it has curtailed this year's visit. 

Sounds as though your CH hits are easing up and congrats to you!

IP Logged

DannyV
CH.com Veteran

Save Deadwood

x0|Boston|USA||0|0|MA,Massachusetts
Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 1:35pm

Thanks everyone.

My life is like water, swirrling down the drain.&&Gonna get me a shotgun, and disconnect my brain.

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 12:05am

I don't know if they've tried you on DHE, but I'd check and see if my insurance covered more of it than of the trex (even though you can't take them within 24 hours of each other.)

The only other thing I could think of is see about other triptans. If he's doing it like this because it's too much trouble for him to pre-authorize the trex he might be willing to do that instead. (That's only if the other triptans work for you...)

Another thing you might consider, is searching for the prescription assistance programs. They might be able to help you get more trex.

PFDAN
Mystina

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

byoung111
CH.com Junior

It's just one of those
days!

Portland, OR
Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2009 at 1:46pm

You should be excited about the research being done at Harvard. After 12 years of dealing with the beast, I decided to try the shroom treatment. All it took were several small doses with very minimal effects. This is the first time I have not had a CH. I had some shadows like it was coming, but nothing ever happened. I like you had a stockpile of Trex just in case.

IP Logged

webgopher
CH.com Junior

I may get older, but I
refuse to grow up.

x0|Lafayette|USA||0|0|IN,Indiana
Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2009 at 6:37pm

My insurance was only covering two boxes per month and I stockpiled like crazy and used only when Monster Hitman and Energy drinks failed. Then I quit my job - OH My God - no insurance - was I an idiot???
I did qualify for care through the VA - something I should have looked into 10 years ago. Now I can get three boxes a month along with my Topamax for a $8.00 co-pay.

IP Logged

FrankF
CH.com Alumnus

Simi Valley, CA, USA
Reply #12 - Jun 24th, 2009 at 12:22am

Hi Danny. Since you are being limited by your insurance company, have you checked out the Imitrex tip here for splitting doses in half?

I use 1/2 a dose when needed and it works for me as well as a full dose. I always insist on the pharmacy giving me the vials, as it is much easier to split them than the Statdoses kits.

I also noticed my insurance company rules are kind of screwy. They will pay for a maximum of 4 Statdose kits (8 full doses) per month. Or 10 vials (10 full doses) per month. I don't follow their reasoning.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!