Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
02 Question (Read 2121 times)
River_Rat
CH.com Old Timer

Bettendorf, IA  52722
02 Question
Apr 15th, 2009 at 1:10pm

OK so I just went and bought a green welders 02 tank and have it in my garage, I do not have a regulator yet or a mask, can I just breath it out of the tank until these items arrive?????????

PFDN

Norm

WWW http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=10000048 realtornorm  
IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Re: 02 Question
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2009 at 1:24pm

I would not!!!  That does not sound like a good idea at all...

DO NOT TRY THIS!!!

IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2009 at 1:40pm

Wait until you get a regulator and mask.

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

River_Rat
CH.com Old Timer

Bettendorf, IA  52722
Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2009 at 1:48pm

Look I don't have to tell any of you what a Kip 8,9 or 10 feels like, and I have nothing to abort a CH, what could happen? I mean if I just opened it to a slight hiss and breathed it????????????

Could it be any worse then doing the dance????

Pfdn

Norm

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2009 at 1:57pm

I dunno doesn't sound to good Undecided
I don't think it would work anyway..!
Get yourself down to local store and get some red bull and strong coffee and this may enough to lower the intensity of the attacks until your mask and regulator land..

Hang in there Pal....

Lefty...!

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2009 at 2:10pm

River_Rat wrote on Apr 15th, 2009 at 1:48pm:
Look I don't have to tell any of you what a Kip 8,9 or 10 feels like, and I have nothing to abort a CH, what could happen? I mean if I just opened it to a slight hiss and breathed it????????????

Could it be any worse then doing the dance????

Pfdn

Norm

I really do understand your in pain, but I don't think this is a good idea...  There are just too many variables that could go wrong here.  I would not want to see you blow yourself up or something.  I also don't think bringing it to a hiss would be enough to abort with; the flow would not be high enough at a hiss.

I know you are desperate, but don't do this...

can you get a hold of regulator today?  Maybe a medical supply store...Craigslist?

« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2009 at 2:10pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2009 at 2:42pm

I admit it is not the safest way to do it, but I have to admit, I have done it!

BUT, I was afraid of blowing my head off, if I opened it too far, unintentionally, so I always turned on/adjusted the valve when my mouth was NOT on the opening.  I just opened it to what sounded like a reasonable hiss, and then started sucking.

It WORKED!!!

(Just don't let OSHA, AMA or DEA know about it!!!)

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2009 at 3:40pm

I know a clusterhead that worked underground in the coal mines and when he was in cycle and underground, thats what he did. Said it worked.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2009 at 3:48pm

ClusterChuck wrote on Apr 15th, 2009 at 2:42pm:
(Just don't let OSHA, AMA or DEA know about it!!!)

Uh, why would anyone let them know about anything? Because they're from the government and they're here to help you? Wink

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2009 at 4:07pm

i've done that before. crack open the valve just enough to get a hiss. keep in mind though that bottle contains 3000 psi of pressure. what ever you do don't drop it and bust off the valve. i've seen argon bottles go through block walls. without the regulator or the mask you will use it up fast but if your getting hit hard.......

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

River_Rat
CH.com Old Timer

Bettendorf, IA  52722
Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2009 at 5:59pm

OK, I just did it and here's what happened,

I was in the middle of making a cup of coffee as a prevent when I felt one coming, it was at a kip 2 maybe but on it's way, I went to the garage and opened the tank to a hiss I breathed <---maybe a word straight 02 and nothing else, I did this for about 10 min and it wasn't working my CH actually climbed to about a kip 6 just where my eye started to water. I said screw it, it's not working and gave up, walked in the house put some frozen peas on my head drank my coffee in one gulp and my CH was gone within a min or two after walking in the house, not even a shadow..............................Did the 02 do that??

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2009 at 6:37pm

Hey crazy, LOL Grin

I don't know what worked there but at least it worked...

Maybe you should do the same routine until you get that regulator and mask sorted...

All the best

Lefty...

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #12 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 5:36am

Norm,

If you need oxygen therapy and you still don't have a regulator...  Get a big clean hefty trash bag and fill it with oxygen then breathe out of the bag...  That should work just fine...  You may need to refill it once or twice to get the abort...

This is also far safer than trying to take O2 straight from the valve. That's not wise... Aside from flapping your lips off and wasting a lot of O2, there's a very real danger of gas embolism caused by the high pressure oxygen penetrating the skin.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #13 - Apr 18th, 2009 at 11:09am

Batch is right, he's got the right idea.
I have sucked straight from the tank before, we probably all have.  I learned my lesson and was lucky I didn't blow out a lung.....sure hurt, though.

Like Batch says, put a garbage bag over the tank.  Make sure the bag has no air in it.  Then, fill the bag up with O2.  Remove the bag, trying not to let outside air get inside the bag.  Then breathe from the bag.  Do not exhale into the bag.

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!