Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Caffeine (Read 5257 times)
Dave
CH.com Junior

x0|Boston|||0|0|MA,Massachusetts
Caffeine
Apr 12th, 2009 at 4:11pm

Hi,

I've had episodic CH syndrome for 19 years.  I know this approach I am about to suggest has not worked with many, but I'd like to suggest you try this if you have not.

Since I've completely eliminated all sources of caffeine, I have not had a CH in four years.  That's ALL sources: coffee, chocolate, soft drinks, tea, decaf coffee, decaf tea (decaf coffee & tea still have some caffeine)...  I don't smoke, but nicotine is similar to caffeine, and that would have to go too.

In retrospect, my CH's started at around 20 years old when I started drinking coffee.  My worst cycle was a period of time when I was gulping down huge Starbuck's mochas daily.  There have been times when a CH attack came on right after drinking an afternoon coffee.  But mostly the correlation has been between strength of habit and strength of the episode.

I know that many will consider this a coincidence.  Many will also explain that they've tried eliminating caffeine, and it didn't help.  But I suggest trying this for a few months if you have never.

Caffeine is often used to abort CH's.  But I postulate that this is because it is satisfying a caffeine addiction.  My suggestion is to try breaking off the addiction in the first place.

IP Logged

danielpeterson
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Bozeman|USA||0|0|MT,Montana
Re: Caffeine
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 5:13pm

I agree and assent, concur in accord, even overlap with an underwrite. That is to say that I have become quite suspicious of caffeine...
Being a health food guy, I didn't use any of the typical ways that people fire up with caffeine, like soda pop. I AM  also remarkably strong and healthy. But after I got off alcohol I did start to use STRONG black --without sugar-- coffee (and work hard with only a few hours of sleep). NOW that I have ended coffee three years, I AM getting milder and milder CH. COINCIDENCE?
Daniel R Peterson
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2009 at 9:31am by danielpeterson »  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 9:39pm

One of the more difficult aspects of CH is firmly establishing cause and effect. Determining primary and secondary triggers, trying to decide when a life style change has caused the postive or negative  change in our cycles........100 years from now we'll laugh at a lot of our current thought processes, and slap our foreheads thinking damn it was right in front of us.

If a significant lifestyle change has resulted in a reduction...or even elimination of your headaches, then stick with it. Hoping it lasts! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2009 at 10:05pm

I am happy that something has worked for you.

Quote:
Caffeine is often used to abort CH's.

And the reason for that is because caffeine is a vasoconstrictor which is exactly what we need when we're getting hit.   It is what Imitrex does to abort....constricts.  And cold packs to the head...

On the other end of the spectrum of course is alcohol or Pot which is a vasodialator and a major trigger!!!!!!

Quote:
Caffeine is often used to abort CH's.  But I postulate that this is because it is satisfying a caffeine addiction.

So if I am reading you right, then those of us who CAN abort...uh...aren't really aborting the headache?  It's just our addiction to caffeine and all in our mind? 

I would really like to hear more of your views on this because I am not getting it at all.   Caffeine is a vasocontrictor.   No one can deny this,  as it is a fact.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

danielpeterson
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 9:55am

I HAVE been busily looking at the overall use of caffeine in this nation. Perhaps 90% of the Americans use caffeine --in some form-- regularly. The bottom line is how many CH people use CAFFEINE? How many around here USE IT? Then we can make an informal study.

I, for one, read labels like a buzzard. Dave is right that so-called decaf has traces of caffeine. It is in mints and fancy drinks. Over-the-counter drugs like Excedrin have it. Now they are putting it in shampoo and soap. The Journal of Addiction links it to anxiety disorders and other stresses that can be mistaken for something else.

Perhaps we are types that are caffeine sensitive. I don't believe we a just biological robots, garbage in/garbage out, and we have other, psychological/emotional/spiritual things interplaying upon us. But why not take a clear-eyed look at caffeine as a substance issue?

I found that even the yerba mate (and guarana)  that I was using has caffeine in it. Is there anyone out there that doesn't use caffeine who began CH?

IP Logged

cassie
CH.com Junior

The Land of Twilight
Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 12:41pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Apr 12th, 2009 at 10:05pm:
I am happy that something has worked for you.

Quote:
Caffeine is often used to abort CH's.

And the reason for that is because caffeine is a vasoconstrictor which is exactly what we need when we're getting hit.   It is what Imitrex does to abort....constricts.  And cold packs to the head...

On the other end of the spectrum of course is alcohol or Pot which is a vasodialator and a major trigger!!!!!!

Quote:
Caffeine is often used to abort CH's.  But I postulate that this is because it is satisfying a caffeine addiction.

So if I am reading you right, then those of us who CAN abort...uh...aren't really aborting the headache?  It's just our addiction to caffeine and all in our mind?  

I would really like to hear more of your views on this because I am not getting it at all.   Caffeine is a vasocontrictor.   No one can deny this,  as it is a fact.

Linda

Coffee, any caffeine  does help Ch when it is happening, but it stimulates the adrenals and effects the endocrine system in a negative way including the hypothalamus.

Cassie

The best way to predict your future, is to create it.

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 3:02pm

That is a very good point Cass.  Never thought of it like that.

I guess you can think of it kind of like nicotine.  Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, but it also affects the body negatively.

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 4:17pm

Quote:
Is there anyone out there that doesn't use caffeine who began CH?

I doubt that Helen's son Jasper was a heavy coffee drinker before he started CH at the age of 3.    Roll Eyes

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

cassie
CH.com Junior

The Land of Twilight
Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 4:18pm

AlienSpaceGuy wrote on Apr 14th, 2009 at 4:17pm:
Quote:
Is there anyone out there that doesn't use caffeine who began CH?

I doubt that Helen's son Jasper was a heavy coffee drinker before he started CH at the age of 3.    Roll Eyes

Smiley

Sugar is a big stimulant, what planet are you from?  Cheesy

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 6:42pm

cassie wrote on Apr 14th, 2009 at 4:18pm:
Sugar is a big stimulant, what planet are you from?  Cheesy

I beg your pardon, what is the meaning of this remark?

I think it doesn't help at all with the discussion about caffeine.

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

cassie
CH.com Junior

The Land of Twilight
Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 7:10pm

Certain genetic factors make people over-sensitive “nerve cell excitation”
to the effects of stimulants. Sugar would be the first thing I would look at when it is a child age 3.

Even if it is not a genetic factor, nerve damage could result in the same type of sensitivity to stimulates.

MAO enzyme helps break down serotonin. It is proper to breakdown compounds in the body, in order to help recycle or eliminate them. You do not want to over stimulate the breakdown the compound serotonin. If you over stimulate MAO it will lead to the inefficient and improper breakdown of serotonin. Certain foods can over stimulate MAO,  aged cheese, aged wine, smoked fish, and nutmeg are just a few. Adrenaline hormones can also stimulate MAO. Caffeine, Nicotine, Alcohol, and Sugar can cause fluctuating levels of blood sugar, stress and other factors that stimulate adrenaline, which can then stimulate MAO. MAO can be highly stimulated by certain foods and stress, which result in breaking down serotonin levels rapidly. If you want to conserve serotonin, you need to attempt to control the over production of MAO.

I asked what planet you were from because you are the AlienSpaceGuy........ Cool
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2009 at 7:13pm by cassie »  

IP Logged

onepfday
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Payne, Ohio
Reply #11 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 1:56pm

before all this started in '00 i never was a fan of caffine. And it doesnt always help, but sometimes it does, and that is all i can ask for at this point! When you are in pain you do what helps, right?

IP Logged

danielpeterson
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 10:04am

As we used to say in Milwaukee, when drinking was the in thing, "Ah just take some hair of the dog that bit you, you'll be all all right." (I lived in Milwaukee FORTY years --West Division '62) That meant we would wake up with a hangover and go get some more alcohol to settle our nerves and stomach. Looking back, I don't think it was much of a solution, but it helped.

I wonder if this dosing with massive amounts of caffeine is only a temporary solution, much like the one we kids used then. And caffeine and sugar --and their resulting lack of sleep-- are everywhere. And all I can testify is that, this spring, I had only a few days of hits. Two years ago, when I was using caffeine heavily, they came on by the hundreds over a couple or months. I did have a few "shadows" but nothing much else recently. THANK YOU GOD!!!
Yours, Daniel R Peterson
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2009 at 10:05am by danielpeterson »  

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2009 at 3:34am

I don't think it's as black and white as "vasodilators are bad and vasoconstrictors are good for us."

Verapamil is a vasodilator. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Yet it somehow helps CH.... (Not saying ALL vasodilators help, just this one.) Heat is a vasodilator, yet some people find relief from a hot shower. These are only two examples, I won't even get into the BAD vasoconstrictors...

I wouldn't rule caffiene out just because it's a vasoconstrictor. I'd imagine someone overly sensitive to it could have hell with it. Every persons body is different. I'd also be willing to bed that someone that sensitive to caffiene might have rebounds due to it.

PFDAN
Mystina
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2009 at 4:11am by Pixie-elf »  

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #14 - Apr 23rd, 2009 at 6:52am

Yes, a simple cause-and-effect view is usually misleading (even if the only response we have due to a lack of knowledge). "Correlation is not causation"--the old saw in science.
======================
Interesting to note that he is saying that the primary mode of action is NOT as a vasoconstrictor but on its effect on the central nervous system. Doesn't change our appreciation of this class of meds but suggests we need to change how we think about the nature of CH.
==============================
Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2007;(177):129-43.   

Serotonin receptor ligands: treatments of acute migraine and cluster headache.

Goadsby PJ.

Institute of Neurology, Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG, UK. peterg@ion.ucl.ac.uk

Fuelled by the development of the serotonin 5-HT(1B/1D) receptor agonists, the triptans, the last 15 years has seen an explosion of interest in the treatment of acute migraine and cluster headache. Sumatriptan was the first of these agonists, and it launched a wave of therapeutic advances. These medicines are effective and safe. Triptans were developed as cranial vasoconstrictors to mimic the desirable effects of serotonin, while avoiding its side-effects. IT HAS SUBSEQUENTLY BEEN SHOWN THAT THE TRIPTANS' MAJOR ACTION IS NEURONAL, WITH BOTH PERIPHERAL AND CENTRAL TRIGEMINAL INHIBITORY EFFECTS, AS WELL AS ACTIONS IN THE THALAMUS AND AT CENTRAL MODULATORY SITES, SUCH AS THE PERIAQUEDUCTAL GREY MATTER. Further refinements may be possible as the 5-HT(1D) and 5-HT(1F) receptor agonists are explored. Serotonin receptor pharmacology has contributed much to the better management of patients with primary headache disorders.

PMID: 17087122 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

j0hnglist
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #15 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 6:41pm

Disclaimer: I'm new to the CH world but I wanted to drop my 2 cents:

I have been suspicious of caffeine because I remember reading a while back that prolonged use causes rebound headaches.

Having said that, I never consume caffeine. I never drink coffee. Never drink sodas. Don't each chocolates. And I've had this lifestyle way before any headaches occured. And yet the beast still attacked me FULL FORCE out of nowhere. So I would be wary implying causation = correlation
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2009 at 6:42pm by j0hnglist »  

IP Logged

danielpeterson
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - May 5th, 2009 at 10:07am

Well, back to the drawing board on this one....although ONLY two people say they have good results not using caffeine and two show no results not using caffeine. How about some more people fessing up on their personal caffeine use?

I also notice that the way of us Westerners is to throw money (and drugs) on a problem in order to solve it. The Buddhist way might be to become unattached to something --overachievement, sleepless nights, expectations, one-upmanship, the stresses-- to uncover the blockage of the Chi.

My three cycles have come around April, the last one being the lightest. Perhaps there is something in my psychology that is most troubling in the early spring, around my birthday, during my spring fever of sexuality. Another thing I get much more of, and it doesn't cost a farthing, is my sleep. And I guard against troubling images that invade sleep time.

GOOD Dreams to all and a good night, Daniel R Peterson
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2009 at 10:08am by danielpeterson »  

IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #17 - May 5th, 2009 at 10:56am

Maybe it is an addiction, maybe its bad now, but I know that if I dont have my coffee, and massive amounts of caffiene,  I feel way worse .  That is a great way to bring on a nice morning slammer,  skip the coffee...  Mayb ewe all need a rehab center.  We could all detox off of meds, caffiene, noise, other people, televison, certain foods, alchohol, modern life, smoking
Barbara has a farm, why dont we all move in for a while,  Oh it would get ugly for a while, while we are all detoxing,  some would succumb to their addictions, some would be murdered by the other cranky people going through withdrawl,   but the survivors,  maybe, just maybe, they would exit CH free, and live life pain free from then on.  Sounds like paradise,
You dont mind Barbara, do you?

Oh and have Bob bring enough shrooms for all of us.

ha
chris

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - May 5th, 2009 at 11:28am

Now one can even get a shot of caffeine into the IV before and/or after going in for surgery (when one has to fast completely). $10 or $15 for a good dose of caffeine in order to stave off the withdrawal headache that accompanies the fast.

As you might have guessed, insurance does not cover the cost.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #19 - May 5th, 2009 at 2:21pm

Pixie-elf wrote on Apr 23rd, 2009 at 3:34am:
I don't think it's as black and white as "vasodilators are bad and vasoconstrictors are good for us."

Verapamil is a vasodilator. Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register Yet it somehow helps CH....

PFDAN
Mystina

Yes, you are right about that.  Kudzu is also a vasodilator, as is taurine.

The research on caffeine and migraines shows a correlation between increased caffeine and headaches ... and most researchers do think that increased intake of caffeine puts some people into the migraine zone, even if caffeine in the short run helps with notching down migraine pain.  
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2009 at 2:22pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

McGee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #20 - May 6th, 2009 at 11:44am

im not sue if caffeine is any way responsible for headaches or the intensity. I allso no that its not good for the body along with smoking, fatty foods, red meat etc etc etc but what i do know is that if id didn´t drink my coffee the shadows would have me in a new white coat climbing the walls in a padded cell. Having said that ive heard of the types of meds people are using and different ways of dealing with this pain and im thinking of all the side effects from the different meds why are we worried about caffeine? at the end of the day this is a condition wich sends us into a world of pain and we will do nearly anything to relieve our suffering regardless of side effects (kill the pain now and ill deal with the side effects later)

im a coffee drinker, i smoke, eat red meat, drink like a fish (out of cycle) make love like a t-rex on heat and make the most of life when im not in pain.
mark (t-rex ROOOOAR) Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW mmcglinchey1  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #21 - May 6th, 2009 at 7:54pm

McGee wrote on May 6th, 2009 at 11:44am:
im a coffee drinker, i smoke, eat red meat, drink like a fish (out of cycle) make love like a t-rex on heat and make the most of life when im not in pain.

Dude,

Too much information.

Are you trying to poke out my mind's eye?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #22 - May 6th, 2009 at 8:19pm

McGee wrote on May 6th, 2009 at 11:44am:

Quote:
make love like a t-rex on heat and make the most of life when im not in pain.

Bet you can't "spank the monkey" with those wee puny arms though.. Grin

Lefty...!

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

McGee
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #23 - May 7th, 2009 at 12:44am

true lefty oh so true very frustrating but to make up for the small arms ive got one hell of a tail  Smiley

mark (got the perfect excuse when not in the mood "sorry dear ive got a headache Huh)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW mmcglinchey1  
IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #24 - May 7th, 2009 at 4:09am

I think this may have gone slightly off track  Cheesy, but just to add to the original posts. I didn't drink coffee or coke really before my CH started. I wasn't a caffeine addict by any means. I'm sure I came across it in my normal diet - odd choc bars etc, but not to the extent that I would suffer withdrawal if I went without.

Caffeine is now one of my main abortives. I never drink energy drinks other than to abort a hit and I now very rarely have coffee (only since discovering Vietnamese coffee with condensed milk on my honeymoon 2 months ago) when not having a hit. But it's taken a while to break the association of coffee with CH to be able to enjoy it.

Just adding my Smiley.

Em
x

Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!