Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flying (Read 1588 times)
Gill
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Flying
Apr 9th, 2009 at 4:15pm

As a wife of a newly diagnosed (as in last week)  sufferer of cluster headaches, I was wondering if anybody knew of any problems with flying? As we have a holiday booked for 4 weeks time.
Thanks
Gill
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2009 at 4:16pm by Gill »  

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Re: Flying
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 4:40pm

Greetings, and Welcome.

Unfortunately, I do get hit without fail when I fly. 

Not sure if it's the actual flying, or if it's Murphy's Law.  Murphy's Law states: If, for any reason, you do not have access to your Oxygen, you will need Oxygen badly.

Wink

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 6:26pm

Personally  flying has never bothered my head.......pissed me of a time or two but my head was ok.

Others here have reported they get hit while flying or shortly after landing. I guess it's an individual thing.

B

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 8:32pm

I carry my imitrex injectables when I fly. The TSA people have examined them several times. I always bring the box with the actual prescription on them. They have never had any problems with my carrying them.

As to flights triggering an attack, fortunately that hasn't been an issue for me, but is for many on the board.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 8:37pm

You might wan't to ask the Dr about Frova.  It is a long acting triptan and should give some pf time while in the air.  Bonus if the Dr has free samples because it is expensive.

Beth

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 8:55pm

I had to fly to London a few weeks ago right in the middle of my cycle

it was only for one day and not that important so to be honest I bottled it at the last moment. I didn't fancy taking a hit 35,000 feet up in the air
(Don't like flying at the best of times).

Do you have imitrex injections? If so I would go with Guiseppi's idea and you should have no problems even if you do take a hit. It's 50/50 and you don't want to miss your holiday....

Lefty...!

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 10:07pm

I never had a problem with flying(other than my usual fear and terror).  I even went to the doctor and got valium to calm my nerves and it didnt bother my CH.  Hopefully your trip will be great, fun, and pain free. Wink Wink Grin Grin

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #7 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 10:41pm

I have flown MANY times, and as a chronic, I am always in cycle.  A few of the times, I have gotten hit, while flying, but I think it was just a normally scheduled visit from the beast.

Most of my flights have been hit free.

I agree with Joe (I can't believe I am saying that ... Just don't tell HIM!), make sure you bring his abortive with him, whether it is Imitrex injectable or nasal spray, or zomig, or frova.

Just keep remembering our mantra:  Live your life as normal.  DON'T stop from doing something, or going somewhere, just because you have clusters!  Enjoy life!  Live life to the fullest!  Don't dwell on the hits, dwell on the pain free times between hits.

Have fun on your trip!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 11:00pm

I agree with Joe (I can't believe I am saying that ... Just don't tell HIM!),

Kiss

he he he

IP Logged

Gaz Jones
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Sibiu, Romania
Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 4:42am

I am right in the middle of a cluster at the moment and had to fly to Brussells for a couple of days, the only days I have'nt had headaches for the last month was the two days I flew. It may have been a coincidence but I must have flown in a cluster before (i travel lot for work) and don't remember ever having a headache on the plane itself.

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 2:36pm

Gill,

welcome. I'm sorry to hear that your spouse suffers from ch.

I haven't got hit during a flight so far, but I have got hit before the flight and afterwards, but it's good to figure out a good and foolproof "just- in-case" plan.

All the best,
Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #11 - Apr 10th, 2009 at 4:46pm

I had a trip to Finland in the middle of a cycle a few years ago.  The trips were long enough that Hits were bound to happen.  This was before I had any good abortives, so I just held on and let it rip.  It would have been good to get up and walk around, but being in a crowded plane was most disagreeable.  Fortunately, your husband will have a more understanding person next to him, than the poor strangers who needed to sit next to me.

I don't think the flying made the cycle any better or worse, but the 8 hour time shift and forced non-smoking screwed me up for a day or two after each trip.  Gosh, I wish I had found O2 back then! 

Best of luck, hope this works out well for you two.  Send us a note when you get there and gloat about what a good time you are having, despite the efforts of the beast.

Jon

IP Logged

Gill
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 5:03pm

Thankyou all for your replies, We are still trying to get used to all this, but are determined not to let this hell rule our life.
It would seem that our doctors are not 100% sure it is cluster headaches now, and we are awaiting a neurologist appointment. MS has been mentioned but so has a few things, so we are trying not to jump to conclusions. It sounds like Cluster headaches to us, but we are not the experts. He had one really bad attack where I had to call an ambulance because he collapsed, since then he has had a bad (but manageable) headache always centered around his right eye. CT scan and lumber punctures were clear. Never got a MRI scan. He was put on amitriptoline (hope thats spelt right) and is now on Solpadol and Topamax.
I have never seen my husband so delicate.
Any advice/opinions gratefully recieved.
Thankyou
Gill
x

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #13 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 5:45pm

I can't think of anything you haven't done. You're an awesome supporter, you guys are proceeding cautiously with the diagnosis, not jumping to conclusions. All I can offer is my thanks to you as a supporter and our continued prayers you'll get this thing figured out. Smiley

Joe

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #14 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 7:17pm

Gill,

Besides what everyone else has said about being p[repared and taking whatever abortive you have on board, I only have this to say.

I was coming back on a very long flight form the Carribean.  I had already used up every single thing I had previously. 

I get hit about 45 mins. into the flight right after hitting altitude and had no where to go.   Because I also use 02 to abort, I went to the bathroom(yes, those tiny little things) and lo and behold there was this vent in there.   The air coming out of there was cold and it was coming out fast.   I sat in front of that vent breathing deeply for about 20 to 30 mins. til the headache passed.

No,  it was NOT the most  dignified way I ever had a headache in public but it worked and I was out of the way of on-lookers.   Splashing cold water on my face helped also.     I swore I would never ever fly again unless I had all of my meds with me. 

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

maro56
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Hasselt - Belgium (EU)
Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2009 at 10:31am

Hi,
last year I toke 9 flights in 8 days in Brazil without a hit neither during nor after.  As I have chronical CH, I was taking that period verapamil and topiramaat.  Last week, I flew to Prague and again without negative effect but I am still taking profylaxe (verapamil and lithium).
Nevertheless I have always my imitrex injections (sumatriptan) with me!
best regards
marc

marcroppe  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!