Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What worked for me (Read 3881 times)
just bill
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Atlanta
What worked for me
Apr 8th, 2009 at 3:05pm

After years of taking all different medicines over the counter and prescriptions.... what worked for me was Goodys Headache Powders.... Within 20 minutes of taking one (or two) I would start feeling relief.... I know these powders are sold everywhere but if you know someone that lives in the southern US, have them send you some to try....
I lived with cluster headaches for over 25 yrs and dredded evey one... but these Goodys Powders really worked for me....

If you can't stand behind our troops and support them, then try standing in front of them...

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: What worked for me
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 3:24pm

just bill wrote on Apr 8th, 2009 at 3:05pm:
After years of taking all different medicines over the counter and prescriptions.... what worked for me was Goodys Headache Powders.... Within 20 minutes of taking one (or two) I would start feeling relief.... I know these powders are sold everywhere but if you know someone that lives in the southern US, have them send you some to try....
I lived with cluster headaches for over 25 yrs and dredded evey one... but these Goodys Powders really worked for me....

Dude ya got a headache.

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 3:24pm

Goody's contains aspirin, caffeine, and acetaminophen, the same formula as Excedrin.

Maybe it is the caffeine??  Either way, glad it works for you.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

just bill
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Atlanta
Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 5:20pm

To vietvet..... first... thanks for your service.... I too am a nam vet... and my son is in the Navy currently with 2 tours to Iraq......

Second.... Dude... it wasn't  "just a headache" ..... I probably went through the same pain you did but mine finally left after 25 yrs.... as the old saying goes... Dont knock it till you try it.... maybe it sounds like just headache meds which that it was intented for.... but when oxygen... tylenol 3... percocets and other scripts didnt work and the Goodys did... who am i to question it??? and yes.... I was finally diagnosed (after years of tests) by 3 different doctors saying it was CH....

If you can't stand behind our troops and support them, then try standing in front of them...

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 6:02pm

"Percocet" won't touch CH. At least that's what most people say. I'm curious as to what meds you have tried with no success. What flow rate and mask did your O2 set up have? Many here have had good results with a high flow rate and the correct mask.

Oh...and welcome. Sorry ya had a need to seek us out, but I'm glad you found us.

(Also a) Bill
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2009 at 6:03pm by Racer1_NC »  

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 6:14pm

I am glad that the Goody's works for you.  You are not the first one to say that it helps you.  I know I tried it, but, like too many other meds, it did nothing for me.

Whatever it is that Goody's does different, it has helped a number of people on this site.

Glad you found something that works.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 6:35pm

Hi just bill.....welcome to the group.

I too have heard it works for some.
I'm thinking it may be the caffeine.  Blake takes Excedrine Tension or Migraine for heavy shadows and that helps him.
I may just have to get some Goody's....kinda the same idea.
We'll try almost anything...

Be well....
Jackie

Modified to add:  Just to clairfy.  The Excedrine has never done anything to help a full blow cluster hit.....just takes the edge off a low grade shadow.  
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2009 at 6:53pm by Jackie »  

IP Logged

just bill
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Atlanta
Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 7:14pm

Hey Bill and Chuck.... Nice to meet you.... actually I came to this site years ago.... just never posted anything here till I was telling a friend about this site.... then decided to share what worked for me while I was going through CH.....

Bill... a racer?? what kind??? I drag race a 71 Nova in support of our troops... Done in Navy theme
« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2009 at 7:26pm by just bill »  

IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 7:34pm

just bill wrote on Apr 8th, 2009 at 7:14pm:
Bill... a racer?? what kind??? I drag race a 71 Nova in support of our troops... Done in Navy theme

For years, I was a spotter for a team in a NASCAR regional touring series.....these days I'm just a track bum.  Wink

B

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 8:54pm

Bill,
Welcome to CH.com and thank you and VietVet for your service to this country. Acouple of questions.

How long have you been in remission, or do you still get CH periods?

When suffering did you try any prescriptions besides narcotics?

Can you please describe one of your worst attacks?

Please understand that for most of us that have tried, like me, 35 different meds, including narcotics, make something like Goody's hard to believe.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad you've found relief, but just a little curious.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

just bill
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Atlanta
Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 9:28pm

Howdy skyhawk..... I have been in remission probably about 4 yrs now..... I started getting CH back in 78..... and was eventually told by my dr that they should start going away by the time i reached 40..... well I am 56 now.... do the math..... lol....

I tried inhalers... and basically anything the dr would throw at me.... am sorry I cant be more specific on what all exactly I took ... but I am suffering from CRS.... Cant remember (lets you fill in the blank.) lol...

What I experienced was a sharp pain behind my eye to start with... then alongside my nose and into my jaw..... my head felt like it split in half..... the pain was so bad a few times i beat my head against the wall and floor...... and worse...... something i wouldn't wish on anyone.... I would try to find someplace dark and keep pressure on my head......

I too couldn't believe something as common down here as Goodys could work better then anything else... but for me it did.... and I would suggest to anyone that asks to spend the couple bucks to see if it works for them.....

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #11 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 10:12pm

Copy that Bill,
I'm soon to be 54 and CH started in '88. I had to register for the real draft but it was stopped 6 months later and I received a card with 1-H (hold) on it.

Sounds like you've fought the CH battle and are winning at this point. I hope it stays that way. CH is a rare and unpredictable illness and there are cases of remissons for up to 25 years, only to have it return. I pray that's not you of course.

I'm episodic and have had as long as 2 years in remission. The last two cycles I got less than a year. I was chronic my first 28 months of CH.

Thank you for your story and keep up the good fight.

Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #12 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 10:40pm

never heard of goodys.  Is it an actual powder, or a pill?   But hey, whatever helps, Im willing to give it a try during the day, to help with the shadows, but not at night when the caffiene will make it impossibel to get the few minutes of sleep the beast allows me to have.

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 10:22am

just bill wrote on Apr 8th, 2009 at 9:28pm:
Howdy skyhawk..... I have been in remission probably about 4 yrs now..... I started getting CH back in 78..... and was eventually told by my dr that they should start going away by the time i reached 40..... well I am 56 now.... do the math..... lol....

I tried inhalers... and basically anything the dr would throw at me.... am sorry I cant be more specific on what all exactly I took ... but I am suffering from CRS.... Cant remember (lets you fill in the blank.) lol...

What I experienced was a sharp pain behind my eye to start with... then alongside my nose and into my jaw..... my head felt like it split in half..... the pain was so bad a few times i beat my head against the wall and floor...... and worse...... something i wouldn't wish on anyone.... I would try to find someplace dark and keep pressure on my head......

I too couldn't believe something as common down here as Goodys could work better then anything else... but for me it did.... and I would suggest to anyone that asks to spend the couple bucks to see if it works for them.....

What are inhalers?

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 12:38pm

Potter wrote on Apr 9th, 2009 at 10:22am:
What are inhalers?

Kinder gentler Potter

An inhaler or puffer is a medical device used for delivering medication into the body via the lungs. It is mainly used in the treatment of asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #15 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 3:41pm

Quote:
What are inhalers?

Kinder gentler Potter

An inhaler or puffer is a medical device used for delivering medication into the body via the lungs. It is mainly used in the treatment of asthma and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I believe the question was directed towards Bill.  Etiquette  son etiquette.

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 5:00pm

Potter wrote on Apr 9th, 2009 at 3:41pm:
Quote:
What are inhalers?

Kinder gentler Potter

I believe the question was directed towards Bill.  Etiquette  son etiquette.

Kinder gentler Potter

Funny, You using a word like etiquette...

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #17 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 6:04pm

Quote:
Potter wrote on Apr 9th, 2009 at 3:41pm:
Quote:
What are inhalers?

Kinder gentler Potter

I believe the question was directed towards Bill.  Etiquette  son etiquette.

Kinder gentler Potter

Funny, You using a word like etiquette...

Funny you not having to use wikipedia for the definition.

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 11:18pm

Potter wrote on Apr 9th, 2009 at 6:04pm:
Funny you not having to use wikipedia for the definition.

Kinder gentler Potter

Funny you are,  LOL

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 1:14am

Bill,

Welcome aboard.

Having lived in SC for a number of years I am familiar with Goody's, and used to use them a good bit.  Because they are in a powder form they tend to work a little faster than a tablet, or at least that is the advertising factor.  They would work for me for a shadow or up to about a K4.

I don't doubt you have CH, but my personal experience suggests to me that you are undergoing shadows that the Goody's is knocking out, and that you are in the beginning stages of a new cycle.  I HOPE I"M WRONG!  My suggestion is to read up on some of the newer advances in O2 therapy to be prepared if I'm right.  Goody's will not stand up to a full blown attack, and it will tear a hole in your stomach lining.  Been that route.

If your Dr is still trying to give you opioids you need a new Dr yesterday!

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #20 - Apr 19th, 2009 at 9:10am

Listen guys - before we get a stink going here..... Excedrin Extra Strength (about the same ingredients as Goody's) three of them and a good strong cup of coffee works wonders for me (and has for years) when I get hit (up to about a 6) BUT****** it will cause rebounds if taken more than a couple of times!!!!!

Of course since I started on the high flow O2 with my nice demand valve and all that I don't do the Excedrin as often as I used to do, BUT I still do it occasionally and it STILL WORKS. I'm just careful not to do it real often.

Bill, welcome to Clusterville and I'm glad you found something that works for you. If you're starting a new cycle, read up on the new ways to use O2 and give it another try -- it's worked wonders for some of us oldtimers who've been kinda cool about it for years. The high flow rates with the RIGHT mask have made a total believer out of me. I can kill Mr. Demon in a very short time with usually nothing more than O2.

Again welcome....

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #21 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 6:57pm

Potter,
I may be mistaken, but Imitrex is the only triptan that comes in an inhaler.  I think it's been on the market about 4 years?

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Reply #22 - Apr 20th, 2009 at 8:18pm

geeeee   d.d...you can have my zomig ns when you pry it out of my cold dead hands...gonna have to fight thru piles of e tanks first Cool

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #23 - Apr 21st, 2009 at 9:26am

jon019 wrote on Apr 20th, 2009 at 8:18pm:
geeeee   d.d...you can have my zomig ns when you pry it out of my cold dead hands...gonna have to fight thru piles of e tanks first Cool

Told you that I didn't know which ones came in inhalers!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!