Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
hassling with oxygen (Read 1533 times)
Lottie
CH.com Veteran

hassling with oxygen
Apr 7th, 2009 at 8:56pm

My neuro just started me on Verapamil and O2. A GP had already prescribed Imitrex injectables.

He told me that in a couple of weeks the CH attacks should come less frequent, and he even said there's a good possibility that it breaks my cycle completely! Wow, after 5 months that sounds like heaven!

He also precribed O2. I was very disappointed when that didn't work for me. He prescribed 7-8 lpm. Then I read the oxygen info on this site and found out that at least 15 lpm is required for most CHers. The regulators I got actually go as high as that, so I tried again. I also put some tape over one of the two ventilation holes in the mask, and when on the O2 I held the other one closed with my fingers when inhaling, and opened it when exhaling. I got better results this way, a moderate to severe attack disappeared in about 20 min.

I'm trying to get me a non-rebreather mask asap. In the meantime, is this the best way of using O2 with a standard face mask? It sure is a hassle, especially for 20 long mins pacing up and down the room. So any tips are welcome.

Lot

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Re: hassling with oxygen
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 9:36pm

Lottie, you are on the right path, just need to fine tune your o2 delivery. Go to your left check out the CH.com store for a much better mask. 15lpm works for me, can stop one within minutes.
The Verap. will take a bit to absorb, up to two weeks for me, but worked very well at 480mg daily. Ask your doc about any increase or decrease.

Hang in, we are here to help you in any way we can. Glad about the o2! Wink

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 9:47pm

Lottie, check your PM's ...

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 10:23pm

Hi Lottie!!!  Congrats on finding two Doctors that know what they're doing.  That's not always so easy.

I'm really happy O2 shows results for you.  Like Barry said, now all we have to do is fine tune your technique.

So look through the info in the links on the left, buy a better mask and get some real relief.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 2:56am

Lottie, are you sure Farmodomo/Lindegas didn't allready provide you with some non-rebreathermasks? If not, give them a call, as they should be delivered along.

Yes, here we get prescribed usually 7 lpm, which is way to low. My own regulator only goes up to 12.

Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Lottie
CH.com Veteran

Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 6:59am

I get my O2 from another company, Westfalen. They provided me with 4 masks, but I'm positive they are not non-rebreather masks. I believe those come with a bag attached to it?
But I will call Westfalen about the masks, maybe they also have non-rebreather masks.

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 7:30am

You're doing the best you can right now.  Just do what you can to exhale all the bad air out, and inhale as much pure oxygen as you can.  Full rebreathers have the bag and work much better.  The tanks fills the bag at a constant rate, you take it out in each breath.  The O2 rate from the tank just needs to be whatever it takes to keep the bag from completely collapsing - I can usually work at relaxing (instead of pacing) while doing this and the rate is around 8-10.  Your mileage may vary.

I hope you get a better mask soon - it really works slick.  In the meantime, be happy for the relief you are getting - 20 minutes sure beats an hour!

Jon

IP Logged

Lottie
CH.com Veteran

Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 7:44am

or more

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 9:36am

Lottie,

Here is what a standard non-rebreather mask looks like.  This is the type that your supplier should provide you with:
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I sent a PM to Dj, and asked him about shipping to Holland.  He said that he can ship to Holland.  If you go to his link, and fill in the address, you will see what it will cost.  You can get to his online store by clicking on the button, on the left side of your screen, CH.com store

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Lottie
CH.com Veteran

Reply #9 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 10:52am

The O2 company is delivering another mask for me to try tomorrow. So hopefully that's gonna work better for me.

Thanks

Lot

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #10 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 11:14am

Check your PMs.

In Germany (I assume you are from Germany since you mentioned Westfalen) you won't get a right mask (not even from Linde).

Oliver

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!