Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using O2 several times a day (Read 1049 times)
caren_clk
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Pennsylvania
Using O2 several times a day
Apr 6th, 2009 at 10:37pm

I'm in the middle of a cycle....suffering bad.  I'm trying to make the O2 work for me and I'm still learning the tricks of O2.  My cycles usually hit in the afternoons and last through the late nights/early mornings.  When I can get to the tank the O2 does help and I know that a lot people on here say that they abort their pains.  My problem is getting to the tank while I'm at work.  I can't always get to the tank in time for the headaches that hit in the afternoons.  I do use the tank at night though several times a night for the headaches that hit at night and the ones that wake me up in the middle of the night.  Is this normal to use it several times a day?  Confused and still learning.... Shocked

idko_79  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: Using O2 several times a day
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 10:59pm

Hi Caren,

Oxygen is an abortive.  It is NOT a preventative.   In other words if you get hit 6 times per day....02 should be used 6 times per day.  Even if you had to use it more than that it should not be a problem.  02 is safe, with no side-effects.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 11:07pm

For your daytime hits, try slamming an energy drink as you fire off the 02. Some have reported they can avoid follow up head aches by having the caffeine in their system.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 11:07pm

Yes this normal. During peak cycle for episodics or high cycle for chronics, CH attacks come several times a day. I've had 10 in 24 hours.

After the pain stops try staying on the O2 for a few minutes longer at a lower flow. This sometimes extends the time between hits. Many find Melatonin (over the counter) helps with the nighttime hits. Benadryl is another.

Melatonin can take a week or so to help in some cases. Besides the pain of CH a lack of sleep is common to almost all of us. At my worst times I have gotten only 5 hours in 4 days. There are things to help you just have to find yours.

Help is here so ask away.              Rgrds, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

caren_clk
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Pennsylvania
Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 7:46pm

thanks to everyone for all the help.  i know the o2 isn't a preventative.  my neuro has me on topamax as a preventative.  i'm not noticing any difference in the amount of headaches i'm experiencing though so my guess is i just haven't hit the right dosage yet?  i was only diagnosed a few months ago.  i'm still trying to figure out stuff that works for me.  i was on a pill that really helped but the dr. took me off of it.  i'm okay with this as i don't really want to be on meds but at the same time it helped.....
i just have to keep trying things out and see what works for me.  thanks for all the advice anyone can give me and it's great to find a site where people understand.
Caren

idko_79  
IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 7:38am

I can often postpone hits during the day with a few well-placed coffees.  Many of my hits come as I relax at the end of the day, so a little bit of a buzz seems to keep that from happening.  So I kind of bring the headaches to the O2, rather than the O2 to the headaches.

I haven't done O2 at work, but would love to find a closet somewhere to set it up.  I think a few folks keep a little bottle in the car.  The times that I have had hits at work, I've simply bolted out the door and walked them off for an hour.  It didn't happen but a couple times, and my boss was prewarned that it could happen.

I wish you luck with getting the O2 relief when needed.

Jon

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 9:52am

I don't know how it is, where you work, but I bring an "E" tank right into my office, and suck away, right there.  Everyone there knows not to go near my office if the door is closed.

If I go to work, and I think that I will be heading out on the road, I leave the tank in my car, and if I get hit, before I have everything ready to hit the road, I just go to my car, and use it there.

As far as using it several times a day ... HA!  I am chronic, and have been for the past 10 years.  During my normal cycle period I get between 6 to 10 hits a day.  During high cycle I get as many as 18 hits (sometimes, even MORE!) a day.  I use oxygen for each and every one of those hits, and have been for years.  It does not seem to have done any damage to my mind or body.

I was nucking futs, long before I started the oxygen therapy, and I don't think I am any crazier now, than I was then ... LOL!

Anyhow, good question, and keep us informed as to how you are doing!

Nucking Futty Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!