Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 q' - help me educate my neuro (Read 942 times)
Val_
CH.com Sponsor

There is nothing permanent
except change.

Bay Area, CA
O2 q' - help me educate my neuro
Apr 6th, 2009 at 8:23pm

Partial Success - and more hope -

So I was successful in getting my neuro to prescribe a different preventative today!  Yeah!!  Maybe an end to cycle in the near future... got Verap & Pred till we get that preventative dosage going ok...

I asked him for a prescription of O2 for aborting - Imitrex had some nasty jaw side effects... besides I got so many people telling me O2 is the Best!!!

He told me two things - O2 is "dangerous" and - it's not effective for long.  Well, after reading up, I told him about the Many people that O2 works for - for Years!  Wink  He said well, yes - It Can be.  I then asked him how it was dangerous.  He told me that having it by fire or by my toaster could be hazardous  Grin WELL I told him that was true - but I am a responsible adult, have an upstairs area with no fires/ electrical devices with potentially fire-starting elements, and don't smoke.  I told him that companies come out to homes and inspect areas before providing O2.    

I told him that I would like to try it.  Then I got down to the real reason he didn't want to prescribe it...

NOW the important question I need help with from all of you educated people out there  Wink  He didn't know How!!   Roll Eyes  He told me he would have to research how to go about it - who he would have to prescribe it through, etc.  He said he would have to look into it.  I told him I believe he simply writes a normal prescription and I take care of the provider... is this accurate?  Does a MD actually have to have some pre-arranged agreement with an O2 provider in order to write a prescription for it?  what would a prescription look like for O2 if not?  Saw this a few mins ago on the O2 page that I missed before - this is ALL he has to write?

Oxygen @ flow rate of 12-15 liters/minute with a non-rebreather mask, as required.
"AS NEEDED FOR CLUSTER HEADACHES."

SO I left him with a print-out of the O2 info page from this site and a plea to look into it - and will see him next week (hopefully equipped with more info for him!)

SO - no O2 - yet.  He Did Not flat out say no, and I think it was because I read up and had answers for his "concerns" about my toaster  Cheesy

Thanks for any assistance here?  

Val

val2651  
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Re: O2 q' - help me educate my neuro
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 8:52pm

Hi Val and welcome.

I worked WITH my Neuro and he listened and read what I had researched through this site. Print off the info on o2 and let him read it.

o2 is my # 1 abortive as it is with most here. We will help you with this, promise.

Barry Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 9:06pm

Your prescription is spot on! That's all APRIA, PMS, or any of the other big 02 places should need.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 10:06pm

Yep Val....that is all it needs to say.   Wink

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 10:36pm

You may want to check with your insurance to see if they have certain O2 suppliers they cover. Mine is that way. Just in case your Doctor doesn't find time to look into it.

Also don't request it demand it. It's the safest treatment we use. Quoting from my Oxygen Patient Instuctions Handbook, "Oxygen will not explode or burn, but it will increase the flammability of objects near the concentrated Oxygen. It will also cause anything that is burning to burn hotter and faster." So it's not a bomb.

Best of Luck, Don
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2009 at 10:40pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!