Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is 20mg enough prednisone? (Read 2229 times)
loveme1982
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Is 20mg enough prednisone?
Apr 5th, 2009 at 12:51pm

My last cluster headache was about two years ago and was brroke very easily with a high dose of decadron.  Although it did break the attack i suffered an extreme mental change within 24 hours of taking it.  Now two years later I am having another episode.  The doctor gave me prednisone 20 mg once daily.  It is helping some with the throbing pain but still have alot of discomfort behind my eye.  So what my question is...Should the dose of prednisone be higher to break the pain or is 20 mg enough?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Is 20mg enough prednisone?
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 1:46pm

There is no standard dose. Medical literature notes from 10 to 100mg starting.

If you had emotional changes the first time, ask the doc to start again at a dose just smaller than the first cycle, in hopes that will avoid recurrence. (Only a guess on my part that this might work.)

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

lashultz
CH.com Veteran

x0|Milton|USA||0|0|WI,Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 1:48pm

I have never taken more than 10mg daily in the last few years. (Doc does not really like this stuff) Worked for me.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 1:51pm

It depends.

If you weigh around 70 lbs., it probably is.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

itotka
CH.com Old Timer

Oxygen

Budapest|Solar System
Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 2:10pm

As far as I know recommended dosage is 1 mg/kg bodyweight.
I was on 96 mg/day for weeks and worked perfectly but gave up 'cos of side effects.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW itotka  
IP Logged

loveme1982
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 3:29pm

Thanks for your input... Does the first dose normally kick it out of you or will it take a few days?

IP Logged

Emjay
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 9:21pm

I weigh 125lbs, 5'4" and I was put on 50mg for 3 days, 40mgs for 3 and so on until I was off the prednisone.  It stopped the attack (I am epsiodic) until I got to around 30mg.  Usually I respond very well to the cortisteroid but we had to up the Verapamil.  My neuro uses the prednisone to stop the attacks and to increase the prohylactic (Verapamil in my case).  I also use O2 (works great) when home, Imitrix at night, Rock Star Light Energy drinks which really help, too.

There is no "right" amount of the prednisone, as has been posted.  I know that the dose I was on, starting with 50mg, was also one I was one for a poison ivy attack several years ago. 

The main side effect I get from the steroid is speediness!  I get a lot done, anyway!

As always, ask you doctor about the med and the dosing; why 20mg?  How long to take it?  What other options are there?  You are your best advocate! Smiley

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 8:44pm

I was prescribed Predesilone at 60mg for a week and then reducing
by 10mg every 4 days until course was finished. During this period i did not suffer even as much as  a shadow but when I finished the course the beast returned with a vengeance. I have recently been given the advice to begin a preventive course such as lithium or Verapamil when on the Predesilone because they take a couple of weeks to start working on the system. 20mg of Predesilone sounds a very small dose to begin with but hey I'm no doctor.

Lefty..!

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

ccbiggsoo7
CH.com Veteran

x0|st. louis|||||
Reply #8 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 11:44pm

lefty is right i always started on about 60 to 80 for a couple days then gradually tapered down 20 mill. at a time over about a week's time until off. always knocked it for me until the verapamil and lithium combo kicked in.

chris

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #9 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 4:11am

Prednisone is funny...for some, it will actually halt the cycle with a quick 10 day burst! For others...like me...it only blocks them. As soon as I go off the prednisone, the CH comes right back. Now, like several others just posted, I use it for the 10-14 days it takes my lithium to kick it into gear.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

finn
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 4:52pm

im ready for something new besides the o2 and imitrex,, ive done that prdnisone taper last cycle i dont think it work very well,, whats this litium deal? i can score some down here in mex im sure whats the dosage?

IP Logged

Emjay
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 9:28pm

Finn,

Talk to your doctor!  Have you tried Verapamil?  These are meds that really require your doctor's input!

My neurologist talked about Lithium if the 480mg verapamil was not working for me... 

Collaborate with your doctor....

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 9:38pm

And the combination of lithium and verapamil seems to be the silver bullet for some. When I did the combination, I was taking 480mg of verapamil and 900mg of lithium. Worked like a charm.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2009 at 11:09pm

But do work closely with your doctor on the lithium. I always thought the doseage was based on body size but was corrected by a doctor. It all depends on how YOUR body metabolizes it. So a safe dose for a little guy, could cause lithium toxicity in a big guy.

I use lithium at 1200 mg a day while on cycle. The first time I went on it I had to endure 2 weeks of almost every other day blood draws while we established what was a therapeudic level for me.

It's been the silver bullet for me, blocks about 70-80% of my attacks.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!