Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sphenopalatine Ganglion Ablation (Read 1037 times)
Clusterbluster
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Pittbsburgh
Sphenopalatine Ganglion Ablation
Mar 31st, 2009 at 11:40pm

Or in other words: deep brain stimulation via radiofrequency.

I spoke with a friend of mine (who happens to be the head neurologist for an NFL team and internationally respected) and he suggested--as a last resort--this procedure.  Though he is not my neuro (in fact, because I am still trying to obtain medical insurance to grab some O2, I have no neuro, or GP for that matter), I thought that it may be of interest to some of us. 

I've neither heard of the procedure nor have any real idea what the possible benefits/costs of the procedure are.  I was hoping to bring the idea to the group and perhaps someone has heard of it or has undergone it (or, presumably if you've done it, both).  If neither, then perhaps it may be something worth looking into.

Here is the closest thing I have found that puts the procedure in layman's terms:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

After three weeks of hell, I've been PF (save some shadows and close calls; thanks redbull  Cheesy !) for six days.  Though I'm extremely blessed, I am still keeping an eye out for effective treatments and, of course, the beast.

Thanks guys,
Patrick

14700782&ref=profile  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Re: Sphenopalatine Ganglion Ablation
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 1:15am

The DBS procedure may be a route to go, but after MANY other routes have been taken, first.  The DBS procedure has not had the best of results, yet.  It may be good, in the future, but not yet.  There have even been a couple deaths, due to the procedure.  It is very dangerous and extremely invasive!

I don't think anyone, who is episodic should take the chance or pay the exorbitant cost.

As far as surgical procedures go, the ONS (Occipital Nerve Stimulation) procedure is MUCH less invasive!  It only goes just under the skin for the placement of the probes (instead of deep in the brain), leads, and generator (controller, brains of the unit).  Even the ONS procedure is very costly, and still in its infancy for cluster headache applications.

But, remember, ANY surgical procedure is invasive and carries a certain amount of risk.  Extreme investigation, and thought, is required before electing to go the surgical route for ANYTHING!

On another matter:

Can you get your friend, the neurologist, to write a prescription for you to get oxygen?  For many of us, it is a life saver!  Even if you have to pay for the oxygen out of pocket, it is very inexpensive, and worth its weight in gold, for how well it works, and how safe it is.  Let us know if you have any questions about how to use the oxygen.

I am SO glad to hear that the red bull is giving you some pain free time!  We always love to hear when one of us finds something that works well for them!  WOOHOO!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Re: Sphenopalatine Ganglion Ablation
Reply #2 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 8:04pm

I have Sphenopalatine Ganglion (Sluders) neuralgia (which is pretty painful on it's own) in addition to clusters. I can tell you that when the neuralgia flares up, my clusters switch sides (to the same side as the neuralgia) and it triggers the CH. Those have been some of my worst cycles.

The ablation will focus on the Sphenopalatine Ganglion, which may help CH if it's a trigger ... I doubt it would work strictly for clusters. It may help a bit, but I wouldn't try it, given that I don't think it would help enough. In my case anyway.
pf wishes, nani

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!