Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Topamax- back to the drawing board (Read 910 times)
Katie
CH.com Junior

I just get 'those' headaches.

England
Topamax- back to the drawing board
Mar 31st, 2009 at 3:34pm

And it was going so well.
Broke out with the most increadibly itchy rash that has just spread and spread no matter what I tried to do to damp it down.
Spoken with GP as soon as it started, spoke with the headache clinic.
Thats it.
I have managed to scratch and chew through severe eczema sleep tops in my sleep and kept my husband awake from the scrit noise more than I ever did using O2 and muttering about CH. I cannot focus on essays from trying not to scratch.
Its gone beyond something I can live with and I am not prepared to take any more as I have almost run out of skin that does not have dermitisis.
Looks like this is another preventative drug for the 'and also rans' list.

Fed up. This was one drug that actually  helped with the headaches.  Angry

Pain is no evil unless it conquers us.  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Topamax- back to the drawing board
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 4:28pm

I am discouraged by docs who don't start with the old stand-bys like Verapamil--a known track record.

Top. is the latest thing in the literature which means it hasn't had sufficient time of field experience to reveal the side effects, etc.

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive
and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
============================================

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
ALL NEW!! HEADACHE 2008-2009
The new 72 page Headache 2008-2009 is hot off the press! Click here to download the PDF instantly! (free)

If you would like a bound copy, send $12 (includes shipping) to
Robbins Headache Clinic
1535 Lake Cook Rd.
Suite 506
Northbrook, Ill.60062

OR call 847-480-9399 to use Visa or Mastercard.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 4:28pm

Sorry Katie,

I hope you find an effective substitute quickly.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Katie
CH.com Junior

I just get 'those' headaches.

England
Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 5:58pm

The anti-convulscents group have been the best to date at tackling the happy mix of chronic migraine and notching down episodic CH. 
The hospital is trying to find the one that gives best pain relief but least side effects for me that will allow me to step up during CH and step down for migraine.
Just a tad po'ed as I was beginning to think after 20 years I had finally found something that was working for both.

Pain is no evil unless it conquers us.  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!