Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: I stopped my cluster headache cycle! (Read 11498 times)
monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Re: I stopped my cluster headache cycle!
Reply #25 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 11:02am

Flax seed oil may or may not be equivalent to fish oils (and probably isn't) - conversion of alpha-linolenic oil in flax into DHA, EPA, and other omega-3 fats that the body needs is low overall, and very low in some individuals.

Quote:
The intake of total omega-3 fatty acids in the United States is {approx}1.6 g/d ({approx}0.7% of energy intake). Of this, {alpha}-linolenic acid accounts for {approx}1.4 g/d, and only 0.1 to 0.2 g/d comes from EPA and DHA. The major food sources of {alpha}-linolenic acid are vegetable oils, principally canola and soybean oils. Other food sources that are rich in {alpha}-linolenic acid include flaxseed (23 g/100 g) and English walnuts (7 g/100 g). Although some {alpha}-linolenic acid is converted to the longer-chain omega-3 fatty acids, the extent of this conversion is modest and controversial. For example, Emken et al reported a 15% conversion, whereas Pawlosky et al found 0.2%; both reported that the conversion to DHA was much less than that to EPA.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Also, there is no reason to believe that ordinary seaweed is a good source of DHA or EPA - the total fat content is typically low (1-5%) and of that, only about 25% is omega-3 (red algae seems to be best). You would have to eat a very large amount to get a gram or two of the good omega-3s ... at that level, the amount of iodine would cause problems in many people.
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2009 at 11:06am by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #26 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 11:03am

Lissa wrote on Apr 1st, 2009 at 7:27pm:
I agree with the others.  If you have an aura, it can't be a CH.  Have you had MRI or CAT scan?  Did you take the cluster quiz on the main page?  O2 usually works for CH.

Before coming to this site I referred to a "shadow" as an aura.  I could sense a HA coming but it wasn't the same as a real hit.  For lack of a better name, that's what I called it.

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 1:11pm

Mrs Deej wrote on Apr 2nd, 2009 at 10:56am:
Just an FYI about flax seed, if you want to add it to food while you cook, when buying flax seed, get the milled kind, looks like a powder almost.  That is the only way our bodies absorb it (not in pill form) and give us the Omega-3.  It obsorbs better and faster.  

...just my two cents

Where did you find this information?  Seems silly that they would sell flax seed in an oil and oil in a pill form if this were not going to absorb into the body.  Can you post a link please?

IP Logged

cassie
CH.com Junior

The Land of Twilight
Reply #28 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 1:12pm

Katie wrote on Apr 2nd, 2009 at 9:10am:
I will look for either the flax oil or flax seeds when I next brave the shops and try combeining with assorted nuts.
I will have a look at micro-algea/yeasts but I think I may just use more seaweed in cooking tofu with marmite.

The downside about Flaxseed Oil and why it may have not worked for me is that Flax doesn’t have the essential fatty acids necessary to produce the results.

Two of the major omega 3 fatty acids are DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid). These essential fatty acids and the important balance between the fatty acids in omega 3 fish are what the beneficial results are attributed to. Fish oil has been scientifically proven time and time again to greatly increase seritonin levels. I had no luck with fish oil. The delivery system of krill oil is different and that is why I tried it, seems to be working so far.

You’re body can manufacturer DHA and EPA from the ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) that’s found in flax.” Technically this is true. But, in actuality, only a miniscule 1/2 of 1% of the ALA consumed in flax oil can convert into DHA and EPA.

And even this tiny amount requires a good digestive system, ideal conditions and a complex conversion process.

But even then, to get the DHA and EPA found naturally in a 3 oz. serving of omega 3 rich salmon (the richest source), a person would have to drink gallons of flax seed oil.

I am not sure that would be such a good idea. Be careful.

The best way to predict your future, is to create it.

IP Logged

Mrs Deej
YaBB Administrator

My life is what I make
it, and it's beautiful!

Tornado Alley
Reply #29 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 2:09pm

Quote:
Where did you find this information?  Seems silly that they would sell flax seed in an oil and oil in a pill form if this were not going to absorb into the body.  Can you post a link please?

I was told this by my doctor, read it in books, did a few google searches, read it in a cookbook....and I said "If you cook with it..." not taking it as a supplement.  Flax seed in a pill form is fine, but if you don't like to take pills or such, the option to cook with it and still get the benefits is available.  I didn't say that the body doesn't absorb the oil, I said when cooking with it, I have been informed by professionals to use milled Flax seed.

My experience with Flax seed is strickly for dietary needs and cholesterol lowering tactics.  

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" - Bill Cosby
WWW MrsDeej 1514951301  
IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 2:26pm

Thanks for the clarification, Steph.

IP Logged

danielpeterson
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Bozeman|USA||0|0|MT,Montana
Reply #31 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 4:43pm

JUST LIKE CLOCKWORK my spring (rightie) CH has popped. I have carried rhodiola in my bag for just this surprise. And got  my rosa canina (a so-called flower remedy) out... And ate some raw stuff... kept my clean water supply up...
Now I AM looking into some L-Tryptophan for emotional health. I hope to raise serotonin levels for peace of mind but there are so many claims and products out there...
WHATEVER, compared to my first (at 62) experience with CH using medical stuff, this one (at 65) is a walk in the park. My last hit lasted for only a few seconds and I craddled my head and said, "I love you, You are safe. Don't worry." THAT is different than the enemy image, the Beast, something outside of oneself, stalking...
However odd this sounds, this is my story. I am sticking with it. And I am willing to post it.
YOURS,

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #32 - Apr 5th, 2009 at 10:03pm

danielpeterson wrote on Apr 5th, 2009 at 4:43pm:
I have carried rhodiola in my bag for just this surprise.

If I recollect rightly, you had a good series of posts about a year ago, describing your experiences using rhodiola during a cycle.  Anything further to report in that line? 

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #33 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 12:21am

Cassie, I don't know if you tried Kudzu yet, but you might want to look up a thread called Synergy. It has a combination of multiple herbs that have helped some sufferers.

No krill oil for me, Iodine allergy here...

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

cassie
CH.com Junior

The Land of Twilight
Reply #34 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 1:54am

Thank you pixie for that info I will read up on it!

Cassie

The best way to predict your future, is to create it.

IP Logged

Yorky
CH.com Alumnus

learn to meditate (or
just sit & do nowt)

x1|blackpool|England|europe|170|201|
Reply #35 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 1:38pm

Jeannie wrote on Apr 2nd, 2009 at 11:03am:
Lissa wrote on Apr 1st, 2009 at 7:27pm:
I agree with the others.  If you have an aura, it can't be a CH.  Have you had MRI or CAT scan?  Did you take the cluster quiz on the main page?  O2 usually works for CH.

Before coming to this site I referred to a "shadow" as an aura.  I could sense a HA coming but it wasn't the same as a real hit.  For lack of a better name, that's what I called it.

Jeannie

i hear you, jeannie.

i have never been able to describe a shadow.

(sometime's they are there all day, sometime's they are real heavy, sometime's they are mild)

or sometime's it's just jaw ache...or sometime's , it feels like
someone as it me in the kneck....with a pick axe handle.

but we should not flame someone, that cannot describe a shadow......because    i can't

pftuall

today is a gift.....thats why it is called the &&&&present.

IP Logged

danielpeterson
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Bozeman|USA||0|0|MT,Montana
Reply #36 - Apr 7th, 2009 at 10:21am

SORRY I couldn"t get a repy to George quickly. (Here in Montana I sometimes have to travel a distance to get to a library computer.) (AND, at 65, I was not brought up to be all that literate around the dang things... and sorry Mr. Computer, I didn't mean to put you down.) ANYWAY, I saved a hard copy of "Rhodiola Update" from 2008. Trooper starts it off and Superdave says he has a "friend who is well educated in homeopathics." Has anyone else any anecdotal evidence on rhodiola use? I can only say it seems to work for me. (Along with keeping away from caffeine and getting more sleep.)
Here's another one: when I get CH in my right brain, my right nostril seems to be clogged up. When I AM PF my right nostril seems to breathe clearly. Does anyone else see any breathing differences when they have an episode?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!