Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bionic surgery (Read 4050 times)
Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Bionic surgery
Mar 29th, 2009 at 10:40am

Has anybody tried this treatment

and how was their results......!

I hope this link works because I'm just

getting familiar to this site. If not maybe you can cut and paste.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Re: Bionic surgery
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 10:55am

Read this thread: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It is Michael's experience with that procedure.  Michael is in Switzerland.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 1:27pm

ClusterChuck wrote on Mar 29th, 2009 at 10:55am:
Read this thread: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Chuck

Thanks for the link to Michaels thread Chuck.

Very informative and interesting

— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 1:28pm

ClusterChuck wrote on Mar 29th, 2009 at 10:55am:

Chuck

Thanks for the link to Michaels thread Chuck.

Very informative and interesting

— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 3:19pm

man there are so many alternatives to getting your head cut open and/or taking imitrex.

edited to add: that are much cheaper and more effective
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2009 at 3:20pm by -johnny- »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

mrs mac
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|tobermory|Scotland||0|0|
Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 6:23pm

Lefty wrote on Mar 29th, 2009 at 10:40am:
Has anybody tried this treatment

and how was their results......!

I hope this link works because I'm just

getting familiar to this site. If not maybe you can cut and paste.

i know this lovely lady who had the ONS done last year, and she is doing very well, not sure of the exact figures, but i do know that her CH has greatly improved and she is enjoying a full night's sleep!!

i thinkt there may be someone along soon who can give you a better answer than me.

My husband is at the moment waiting for funding for the same op, we have already spoke to the surgeon and know what to expect!!!

If Andy can get even a fraction of the success that she has had and escapes the through the night attacks then we would consider the op a success!!

sandra

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 6:42pm

Sandra I'm glad to hear she is doing very well  i was following her story.

Pass on my best wishes  if you see her again. Chuck posted a good

link to Michael's journey with this procedure. I think its definitely a thread your husband should read if he is considering this option.

Best wishes Tony.

I just noticed your address. My Wee one just loves Balamory...!

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2009 at 6:47pm by Lefty »  

— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

mrs mac
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 7:25pm

lol, glad she likes it

had a look at Michael's thread, made very interesting reading, but have also had lengthy conversations with Val, so we are both going into this with both eyes fully open, also having spoke with Lawrence Watkins, we are fully aware of the ins and outs of the procedure, the National in London is a wonderful hospital, and we are grateful that they will be doing the procedure, i reckon Andy's in good hands!!!!

will tell Val you were asking for her!!!

sandra

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 6:23am

-johnny- wrote on Mar 29th, 2009 at 3:19pm:
man there are so many alternatives to getting your head cut open and/or taking imitrex.

edited to add: that are much cheaper and more effective

[joHnny]w_ an_h could you expend, or explain……

Michael

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 5:39pm

IMO, most docs consider surgery as a last option, but it is one that needs to be kept open and may be appropriate if other treatments do not work. 

I think that two types of surgery have been mostly abandoned (deep brain stimulator and gamma knife), but an occipital nerve stimulator is not nearly as invasive as deep-brain, or as irreversible as a cut with the gamma knife.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Dyno
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tenby, Wales, UK
Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 6:08pm

Quote:
and she is doing very well, not sure of the exact figures

50% better than she was Sandra Wink  

The surgery is not invasive with very little scarring and is reversible/removable should it not be of any benefit. ONSI does not work for everybody! Thankfully it has for Val - it's great to get a full nights unbroken sleep. Something we haven't had for about 6 years.

and there are No legal alternatives in the UK -

Rod

OUCH(UK)
-
"THEY'RE CRUCIAL, THEY'RE UNIQUE AND THEY'RE EXPERT"

Quote;  Prof. Peter Goadsby 2007

OUCH(UK) HELPLINE  No  01646 651979

IP Logged

mrs mac
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 6:31pm

thanks!!!

knew it was something like that!!  Cool Roll Eyes

see you soon  Wink

sandra x

IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
CH.com Hall of Famer

comfortably numb

x0||USA||||IL,Illinois
Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 2:25am

Dyno wrote on Mar 30th, 2009 at 6:08pm:
The surgery is not invasive with very little scarring

and there are No legal alternatives in the UK -

Rod

Main Entry: in·va·sive  
Pronunciation: \-siv, -ziv\
Function: adjective
Date: 1598
1: of, relating to, or characterized by military aggression
2: tending to spread ; especially : tending to invade healthy tissue <invasive cancer cells>
3: tending to infringe
4: involving entry into the living body (as by incision or by insertion of an instrument) <invasive diagnostic techniques>
— in·va·sive·ness noun

Bob

"those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
- C.S. Lewis
WWW psiloscribe pinkshroomrat  
IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 6:54am

The implantation of the ONS is an invasive procedure! just placing the “generator” in the “pocket” in the lower abdomen is an invasive process…. and then placing the “leading leads” to the head is invasive and complex….. I did post the photographs from the surgical procedure
and one can imagine seeing the pic. what invasive is……

The implantation of an ONS is not for everyone! it is still in development, and I recommend the ONS only to CCH’rs  that use it as last alternative, after all (school) medicine alternatives
had failed for them. and as in my case, the use of alternative medication is a taboo, for practical reasons….

I do recommend the ONS, or better said I recommend all CCH’rs that suffer from medication intolerance to explore this alternative, It can bring some relief, and any improvement is welcome……  

The alternative of DBS (deep-brain surgery) is not off the table at all, or abandoned, it is still a valid alternative, and used in some cases, but only after all other alternatives had been explored and failed! it is also a method in development and needs still more R&D but it is being used and developed…. and with the modern neuro surgical technologies it is a very valid alternative, but only as last alternative!

Michael

IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
CH.com Hall of Famer

comfortably numb

x0||USA||||IL,Illinois
Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 1:41pm

wildhaus wrote on Mar 31st, 2009 at 6:54am:
The implantation of the ONS is an invasive procedure! just placing the “generator” in the “pocket” in the lower abdomen is an invasive process…. and then placing the “leading leads” to the head is invasive and complex

Thank you Michael

Be well,
Bob

"those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
- C.S. Lewis
WWW psiloscribe pinkshroomrat  
IP Logged

Dyno
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tenby, Wales, UK
Reply #15 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 12:44pm

My apologies Bob.

Should have said 'not as invasive' - not as invasive as DBS.

OUCH(UK)
-

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #16 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 3:24pm

The ONS surgical procedure is not a trivial thing, and it should be considered only as last resort!

I had no choice….. and as my medical situation has deteriorated very rapidly due to the treatment - Occipital nerve block, a treatment that worked very good but I have developed a very strong adverse reaction that had forced me to choose a radical alternative, and reduce the dependency on pharmaceutical products…..

I am adding some images of the surgical procedure, the implantation of the probes into my head….
as well as an X-ray of the probes…. in my head, to give a correct a descriptive picture of this procedure..

(I am using links and not images, the images are very descriptive, and I dont know how to post pic. on the new board.... )

this image is the base of the skull opened and inserting the probes into the skull base.

next  image, both probes are inserted

X-Ray image of the position of the probes in my head.

next Images are leading the “cables” to the lower back

(This is a (partial)  copy of a post I have made on the thread about my journey and adventure into the ONS.

Michael

IP Logged

Dyno
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tenby, Wales, UK
Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 5:40pm

Nobody is trivialising ONSI. Any surgery, no matter how minor has its risks and ONSI is not the magic bullet for everybody. One member that tried it is now being offered, and is considering having, DBS.

Quote:
this image is the base of the skull opened and inserting the probes into the skull base.

Perhaps, Michael, your surgery was different to my wifes. With her, they exposed the base of the skull and stitched the electrodes to the Occipital nerves at the point where they exited the skull - just below the scalp - they didn't have to open the base of the skull. At this point they also gave her a massive GONB - not hit and miss this time, the nerves are exposed and they can hit the 'sweet spot'.

OUCH(UK)
-

IP Logged

Lissa
CH.com Hall of Famer

Reply #18 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 7:21pm

Wow.  I've never even heard of this surgery.  Is it something new?  Very interesting stuff.

Episodic cluster survivor since 1995 at age 16.

IP Logged

Dyno
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tenby, Wales, UK
Reply #19 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 2:40am

Don't know about the States but the first ONSI for cluster headache was carried out in 2003, in the UK.

OUCH(UK)
-

IP Logged

Dyno
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tenby, Wales, UK
Reply #20 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 1:52am

Just noticed this:

Quote:

They must do it different where you live. Over here the cables are placed from the back of the neck, over the shoulder, and down to one side of the abdomen to the battery pack. Nowhere near the lower back!

Rod

OUCH(UK)
-

IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #21 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 4:06pm

Dyno wrote on Apr 3rd, 2009 at 1:52am:
Just noticed this:

Quote:

They must do it different where you live. Over here the cables are placed from the back of the neck, over the shoulder, and down to one side of the abdomen to the battery pack. Nowhere near the lower back!

Rod

I add one more pic. to give you a feel of how it was done on me in Switzerland (KSSG)

and you can find more info. over the link Chuck provided.......
of all the prosidure

Michael

IP Logged

mrs mac
CH.com Old Timer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 7:30pm

been watching this thread as my hubby i hopefully having the ONS done this year (once we get funding)

and Rod is right,it is done differently in the UK, it will be the same surgeon that does Andy's op that done Val's!!

Sandra xx

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!