Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone heard of this test? (Read 968 times)
Dave_C
CH.com Junior

I love Red Bull!!

x0|Huntington|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Anyone heard of this test?
Mar 28th, 2009 at 6:15pm

I finally got a prescription for the oxygen 12-15l/min non-rebreather mask. But my insurance company says i have to be tested to see if I can use the oxygen. does anyone know what this test consists of? my doctors are supposed to call the insurance people of monday i guess.

also my Neuro and i decided to stick with the magnesium, taurine and she added riboflavin as an preventitive. so far I have been almost a week without a HA. One shadow early this week on Wednesday I believe. So i am hoping i may be at the end of this cycle.
How long should i wait before I try the alcohol test/ I could really use a cold one, you know what I mean. Thanks for your help.

Dave_C 1189 South Jefferson Drive David+M.+Corns David+M.+Corns  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Anyone heard of this test?
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 6:23pm

I've been doing the magnesium, calcium, riboflavin(vitamin B-2) regimen for many years. Convinced it's reduce the level and number of hits for me. (The B-2 makes your pee look really really really orange, don't let it freak you out! Wink) Go heavy on your water intake too.

Don't know which test they're talking about. I haven't heard of anybody having issues with 02???? Anyone???

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 8:21pm

Insurance companies will often decline coverage of oxygen unless your blood O2 levels are below normal - which is not the case unless you have other problems. They do not recognize that fact that CH therapy requires over saturation of O2 for short durations.

The test will likely be an O2 saturation level test which you will pass, so they will decline to cover the O2. When that happens, visit an O2 supplier and explain the situation. You may find that they will work with you to offer a very low cost. If not, move on to the next supplier.

Either way, do not give up on O2.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2009 at 8:40pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 10:27pm

I agree with Marc, it is probably a blood/oxygen saturation test, which is totally bogus for our application.  BUT, it is a good excuse for your insurance company to decline covering it.

HOWEVER, all is not lost!  Many times the insurance company denies coverage, with the hope that you will just go away.  DON'T do it!  Become the squeaky wheel!  Squeak so loud and often, that they will oil that wheel, JUST to shut you up!

Get your doctor and oxygen supplier to work with you.  Bombard the insurance company with phone calls, and information.

My insurance company (Blue Cross & Blue Shield - BC&BS) refused to pay for a LONG time!  But they just recently started to pay the bills.  In the past month, my insurance company paid out over two thousand dollars for my oxygen!  And there are still more bills to be paid!  My supplier found the way to get them to pay.  They said that they had to give BC&BS the right code, in order to pay.  I am not sure what that code is, but if you need it, I can get it for you.

You said that you suspect that your cycle may be ending.  That is GREAT!  I hope it is!  BUT, do not drop this fight, just because your cycle has ended!  Fight it NOW, and get some oxygen in the house, so that when you come back in cycle, you will have it right there.

Here's another trick, regarding your cycle ending.  I am not sure if you have a prescription for Imitrex, or not, but if you DO have one, do NOT stop filling it, just because you are out of cycle!  Stock pile it, so that you have plenty on hand, for the next cycle.  

As long as it is stored in a cool dark place, you can use it well after the expiration date on it.  I have used Imitrex injections that are three years past their expiration date.  The only problem, that I have heard of, for out of date Imitrex, is that it MAY loose some of its strength.  It does NOT become dangerous to take, from what I have heard, read, and experienced!

Good luck, and keep us informed!
Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Dave_C
CH.com Junior

I love Red Bull!!

x0|Huntington|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 9:13pm

thanks for the advice. I have made the mistake of quitting when the cycle ends before. that will not happen again. I don't have Imitrex but I do have migranol, it works about 50% of the time. So I will stock pile it for now, maybe try to get some Imitrex in teh mean time. I hav ethe same problem with the Migranol, once you open the bottle it looses probably 75% of it's potentcy over an 8hour period,  so I have to throw it out. It is very wasteful, not to mention expensive. Even with insurance.
i will ask the providr I found about using a certain code, if so I guess I can send you message adn get it from you that way.
Thanks again for the advice, it is much appreciated.

Dave_C 1189 South Jefferson Drive David+M.+Corns David+M.+Corns  
IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 12:25am

I get a refill of trex nasal every other month.

When my cycle hits (usually yearly) I have PLENTY.

Of course I'm always out 50 bucks after insurance EVEN for the new generic! Damn money grubbin pharmaceutical bastards!! Angry

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 12:50am

I don't know if this helps with other insurance companies, BUT....

I'm on Texas Medicaid, and if you have another documented problem, like say asthma, COPD, sleep apnea, it's easier to get them to pay for the oxygen.

We bypassed having to wait for medicaid by paying out of pocket for my oxygen, so the home health care company is now doing the paperwork to get medicaid to cover it.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2009 at 12:54am by Pixie-elf »  

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!