Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to tell the boss (Read 1152 times)
Clusterbluster
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Pittbsburgh
How to tell the boss
Mar 25th, 2009 at 11:41pm

So I started my cycle on March 13 and, coincidentally, started a new job that same day.  I've been reluctant to divulge my CH condition to my boss because I'm still in "training."  Last Saturday, however, I had a monster of a CH from 1 am - 4 am and slept through both of my alarms.  Needless to say, I was two hours late for work and looked like hell.  I'm sure when I came in they thought, this kid's been out all night drinking his face off--which couldn't be farther from the truth (the drinking part).

It's not so much that I care about this particular job (hopefully I can move beyond 7.75 an hour; here's to stimulus packages!), but for future reference, how have you explained your condition to employers?  Any suggestions or tactics?  Should I come in with medical reports on CHs or just sit down and explain to them about CHs.  I err on the side of the former because I feel like I would run the risk of them dismissing it as "just a headache, suck it up" with the latter.

Also, just to vent: I cannot wait for this cycle to be over.  I always feel under prepared mentally and physically for these damned headaches.  I figure I have a few more weeks to roll so my hypothalamus can get adjusted to daylight savings time.

14700782&ref=profile  
IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Re: How to tell the boss
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 12:07am

well last cycle it was getting hard to hide my condition even for an over the road truck driver. i told my dispatcher about my condition and gave her the web address to this site. next time i saw her she said "oh my god thats what you go through?" "yeah pretty much". she told me to do what ever i had to do.

other employers haven't been as understanding. the best thing you can do is tell the truth and let the chips fall where they lie.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 12:09am

Here's something that another sufferer wrote - I got it from the OUCH website. It's written to share with colleagues. Hope it helps.

Christy

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 8:33am

I have been fortunate to have some good bosses in this respect. 
they are usually not interested in the details - they get enough of that from other co-workers.  I explained that I get periods for 6-8 weeks where I get disabling bad headaches, but they usually occur in evenings and at night.  It generally will not affect my work, other than it becomes hard to get enough sleep in mid-cycle.  But I also explain that I will likely get one or two while at work, and will simply need to leave the building for about an hour.  And, for a cyclic guy, it will all be over soon.  If he wants to know more, I can go on, but he really isn't interested in all the gory details.  In my case, it has little impact on him getting his team's work done.

Some of us have it worse, and it affects work more.  And some of us have jerks for bosses.  One of the reasons that bosses get paid more is that they are supposed to be able to deal with employee issues.

I found that, compared to other chronic whiners, this is relatively easy for him to deal with.  I wish you luck as well.

Jon

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 9:23am

My last job I sent around this doc to my boss and all those I worked directly with:

This latest job I put the content into my own words and taylored it to my particular situation. 

The trick is to let them know that you are willing to go the extra mile to make up for any short comings.  This is easier if you already have an established reputation for being a good worker.  In your case the timing really sucks.

Good luck...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 9:56am

As you know, you’re quite vulnerable: a $7 person, on probation, not open with the boss, and subject to short term disability.

You must cover your tracks quickly: print the letter which has been mentioned; tell the boss and offer the letter and any medical information asked for; and work quickly with your doc to try a couple of pill form abortive meds which you can use ON THE  JOB as needed. It’s not a good idea to try and use injection Imitrex (with the social label of drugs/needles) in your current status. Can’t haul in oxygen equipment given your job status.

This leaves an oral form of one of the triptans or Zyprexa. A series of quick trials will reveal which works more dependably and quickly for you. I would hope that your doc would supply some samples before you have to  buy any one of them.

If you don’t have a headache doc now, going this route would likely take more time (waiting time) than you realistically have to resolve this dilemma. If you have an open, receptive primary care doc, print out the treatment article (Rozen) and show him what you are asking for and be honest about why this is a rush job.

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

===========

Finally, don't make the mistake of waiting to take an abortive to see if it's REALLY an attack, i.e., letting it develop. (Too many folks try this route to save money.) Important to get an abortive into your body at the first sign of a developing attack or else you won't get the best response--and that's not a situation which you can afford.

« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2009 at 10:01am by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!