Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chronic headache: IV lidocaine (Read 2060 times)
Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Chronic headache: IV lidocaine
Mar 24th, 2009 at 9:01pm

Headache. 2009 Feb;49(2):286-91.
Intravenous lidocaine in the treatment of refractory headache: a retrospective case series.

Marmura M, Rosen N, Abbas M, Silberstein S.

Jefferson Headache Center-Department of Neurology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA.

BACKGROUND: New treatments are needed to treat chronic daily headache (CDH) and chronic cluster headache (CCH). New treatments are needed to treat this population and intravenous (IV) lidocaine is a novel treatment for CDH. OBJECTIVE: The aim of this study was to examine the use of IV lidocaine for refractory CDH patients in an inpatient setting. METHODS: This was an open-label, retrospective, uncontrolled study of IV lidocaine for 68 intractable headache patients in an inpatient setting. We reviewed the medical records of patients receiving IV lidocaine between February 6, 2003 and June 29, 2005. RESULTS: Pretreatment headache scores averaged 7.9 on an 11-point scale and posttreatment scores averaged 3.9 representing an average change of 4. Average length of treatment was 8.5 days. Lidocaine infusion was generally well tolerated with a low incidence of adverse events leading to discontinuation of treatment. CONCLUSIONS: This study suggests benefit of lidocaine treatment and the need for further prospective analyses. The mechanism of lidocaine in treating headache is unknown.

PMID: 19222600 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

ANNSIE
Ex Member

Re: Chronic headache: IV lidocaine
Reply #1 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 10:02pm

Thank you Bob, that is very interesting !

Do you have access to the full article to see if there was any mention  whether the effect lasted after the treatment and how long did it last for?

If the relief stopped soon after discharge from the clinic/hospital then I wonder how it could be used long term.

Otherwise I guess it could be used as a temporary treatment to give people a break during those particularly rough times.

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 10:16pm

20+ years ago, a [quack] doctor tried this on me.  Although this was in the hospital, they did not do the cardiac monitoring they should have.  Lidocaine does effect the heart.  Oh, and no relief, but the protocols were most likely different.

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2009 at 8:55am

Sorry, I can't get the whole article. If your hospital is say, 300 beds or more, they will have a medical library which probably gets this journal--it's an important one. I'd be surprised if they objected to you reading it there. (The hospitals I worked in were uniformly willing to share.)

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!