Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can a chiropractor help with CH"S? (Read 1706 times)
bigmenawa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boaz, Alabama
Can a chiropractor help with CH"S?
Mar 21st, 2009 at 11:26pm

I went yesterday and had 2 different MRI's and a MRA.  I got the results today and everything was normal except for a couple of cervical vertebrae being slightly out of alignment.  I went to a chiropractor this morning  for an adjustment.  I am having at least 2  big hits per night plus migraines during the day.  I am getting desperate.  Is is possible a chiropractor can help with these clusters?  Is there anyone out there who has tried a chiropractor and it helped?

Randall

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Re: Can a chiropractor help with CH"S?
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 11:35pm

Hi, Randall!

Many have tried that route, including me.  Unfortunately, they can't do anything for the clusters, themselves.  BUT, they can relieve some of the tightness and tensed back, neck and limbs, that you get while fighting the beast.

Don't let your chiropractor tell you any different!

What preventative meds are you taking?  How about abortives? Are you using oxygen to abort cluster hits?

Hang in there.  AS they say: "This, too, shall pass ... "

Tell us more about what you are using as weapons to fight the beast.  Maybe we can help you get back your life.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

bigmenawa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boaz, Alabama
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 11:41pm

i am taking topomax and indocin and using zomig nasal spray.  i have taken verapamil during the first cycle and it seemed to help.   i have used O2 once and it didn't help me.  i think maybe i didn't use it correctly after reading some of the posts.  maybe i'm one of those it doesn't help.  i will see my dr. and get his opinion.  he has mentioned O2 to me previously.  i know these things are getting to me at night and then i  have started having regular migraines during the day which are making me throw up.  thanks for your insight and i will check into the oxygen.  thanks again

IP Logged

bigmenawa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boaz, Alabama
Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 11:50pm

Chuck,
I have read a lot of your posts and i have a lot of confidence in what i read from you.  My neck and upper back are so tight and sore right now.  This is only my second cycle and it started January 29.  I've only had 4 nights in which i didn't have a hit.  Would you suggest going to a chiro just for the neck and upper back tightness or is that a risk which could make these CH's worse?

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 12:11am

It is a VERY rare time when he would cause the clusters to be worse.  Just as he can't alleviate them due to the inaccessibility of the problem, he also has the same inaccessibility to causing them to get worse.  If your stiffness is bothering you, try taking a muscle relaxant, or Aleve, and see if that will help.  If not, by all means go see the chiropractor!

For your night time hits, I notice that you have not mentioned Melatonin.  It is an over the counter sleep aid, that helps MANY sufferers to get a good night's sleep!  I would start with two pills (6mg) and see if that helps.  If not, slowly progress up to 12 to 15 mg.  Take these about 1/2 hour before you go to bed.  Sometimes it takes a week to ten days for results to start to show up.

As always, inform your doctor of what you are doing.  Keep him/her in the loop.  I say this even if you are taking a lot of vitamins!  He/she needs to know what sort of medications, or supplements you are putting into your body, even if they are over the counter, and/or "all natural".  Remember, poison ivy is all natural, too, but I am fairly sure you don't want to start eating THOSE leaves!

Good luck, my friend!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

bigmenawa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boaz, Alabama
Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 12:47am

Thank you so much.  I will give it a try beginning tomorrow night.  I will try about anything at this point.  God Bless and thank you again.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 4:05pm

One brief word of warning - Melatonin, being a dietary supplement, comes in different strengths based on the manufacturer. I've seen it in 1mg, 3mg, and 5mg pill sizes.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 4:10pm

Back to the base topic...

I see a chiropractor for my neck pain; 2 herniated and degenerated discs.  It helps for a while for that, but no help for CH.

That's my 2 cents and I'm sticking to it,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 4:28pm

We have a member here who has CH AND he just happens to be a chiropractor.  He says it won't help with CH.  That's enough proof for me.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

bigmenawa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boaz, Alabama
Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 8:32pm

thank you guys so much.  the chiro went to yesterday didn't make any claims regarding CH but said he could help with the neck and upper back stiffness.  thanks again.  i'm trying the melatonin tonight.  had 2 bigtime hits last night 2 hours apart.  i suppose i'm lucky and don't have 7-9 hits as i've read some suffer with and i do mean suffer.

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 4:28pm

bigmenawa,

I see a chiro regularly for two degenerating disks in my neck.

I had one particular chiro who told me that seeing him regularly would cure my clusters.
(I never saw him again!!)

Chiro's cannot help with clusters...EXCEPT to relieve the tension in my neck that comes from the pain of my tensing up when I'm in cycle...PERIOD.

I remember asking these fine folks a year ago the same question and recieved the exact same answer your getting.

If you do have herniated disks or degenerating disks, a chiro is a must for that in itself.

I'm the dipshit who waits to go until I'm completely knotted up. I now have arthritus setting in and always feel my neck crunching.

Chiro=NO CURE FOR CH though.

Sorry, Undecided

Kimmie

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!