Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
o2 regulator question (Read 2805 times)
josh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

o2 regulator question
Mar 21st, 2009 at 1:44pm

hi people, this seems to be too good of a deal (although i know nothing about the prices). anyone have experience w/ this regulator?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

if this one sucks, or i need something else, a  link would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2009 at 1:45pm by josh »  

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Re: o2 regulator question
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 2:02pm

I have used this type of regulator.  Though not ideal, it does get the job done.  The 1 problem I have with it is that there is no inbetween 10 and 15lpm.  I prefer to have more choices, but its no biggie.

This one in the link, though, is for the 540 connection.  That is typical of larger tanks.  The standard Etank has a different connection.  Make sure you know what you need.

PF wishes
B$

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

josh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 2:14pm

BMoneeTheMoneeMan wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 2:02pm:
I have used this type of regulator.  Though not ideal, it does get the job done.  The 1 problem I have with it is that there is no inbetween 10 and 15lpm.  I prefer to have more choices, but its no biggie.

This one in the link, though, is for the 540 connection.  That is typical of larger tanks.  The standard Etank has a different connection.  Make sure you know what you need.

PF wishes
B$

cool... i already have the 'm' style tank for welding(i hope they're the same). that is what i was going to use. i just wanted to make sure that this regulator was ok before i bought it. the 540 connection is the common large tank connection style right? what are the chances that this regulator won't fit my tank? (used for the torching stuff...)

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 3:28pm

That is a great price!  Go ahead and buy it!  It IS the correct fitting for the welding tank.  All the large welding tanks have CGA 540 connectors on them, and that is what this regulator has.

The only drawback that I see is that it only goes as high as 15LPM.  But, at the price, it is well worth it.  You might do very well with it.

If you find that you don't get the best of results, or you want to abort quicker than that regulator allows, you could look for a regulator that goes higher.  They have them that go up to 60LPM.  We have recently discovered that the very high flow rates work faster, and for those that don't get results at 15LPM, DO get results at higher flow rates, like 25LPM or 40LPM or even 60LPM.

The problem is that it is very rare to find the higher LPM regulators with the CGA 540 connector, at a reasonable price, on eBay.  VERY few and far between!

But, at that price, you can't go wrong!  GO for it!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

josh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 3:37pm

i don't think the flow rate will be a problem for me. in the past, i've never really had to go above 10LMP to achieve the results a was looking for. the 1st time i used o2, it was at 5LPM w/ a cannula, and that even worked for me. sometimes it would take longer than others but it has always worked wonders.

thanks for the input guys!

( - on a side note, why do a lot of doctors seem to have a problem w/ giving out a rx for cluster headaches? i mean, i tell them it works wonders for me - way better than any pill has ever done - wtf?)

IP Logged

Larry
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Arizona
Reply #5 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 9:57pm

If you have a prescription from your Dr. most places that rent O2 setups will gladly sell you the cart, regulator and refillable tank.  I rented mine for 2 years and went into their office and asked to speak to the manager.  I asked the manager if he would sell me my unit at a greatly reduced price since they had made 2 years of profit from me.  And he said "Sure".

Lar

IP Logged

Larry
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Arizona
Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 10:05pm

Josh,
Go (with a prescription) to any place that rents and refills oxygen like a medical supply house or hospice service.  You really need a dual gauge regulator that controls from 1-15 and shows how much tank pressure is remaining (so you know when you need to get it refilled. Thru much trial and error what worked best for me was about 3-5 minutes of 7LPM, then dial it down 1LPM per minute until you get down to 1LPM.  All the while keeping an ice bag atop the head.\

Lar

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #7 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 11:45pm

Larry wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 10:05pm:
Josh,
Go (with a prescription) to any place that rents and refills oxygen like a medical supply house or hospice service.  You really need a dual gauge regulator that controls from 1-15 and shows how much tank pressure is remaining (so you know when you need to get it refilled. Thru much trial and error what worked best for me was about 3-5 minutes of 7LPM, then dial it down 1LPM per minute until you get down to 1LPM.  All the while keeping an ice bag atop the head.\

Lar

Larry, your method may work for you, but for MOST sufferers, it would not work.

And the regulator that Josh bought (or is buying) is the one that he needs.  It has everything that he needs on it.  He does NOT need the two gages on it.  It has the one that shows the amount left in the tank.  There is a dial on the end that he will use to select the flow rate that he needs.  

Please do not try to confuse people with comments that are untrue, unfounded, and misleading.

Thank you.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2009 at 11:53pm

josh wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 3:37pm:
( - on a side note, why do a lot of doctors seem to have a problem w/ giving out a rx for cluster headaches? i mean, i tell them it works wonders for me - way better than any pill has ever done - wtf?)

Josh, this has been a constant irritation to those of us who know and have used oxygen for many years.

It seems that certain doctors feel that just because they have the letters PHD (which, in some cases, stands for Piled Higher & Deeper) after their name, they have ALL the answers.  How could any stupid little peons, like any patient is, have anything of value to teach an exalted intellect like HIM?

We even had one family member here, have her doctor tell her that she gets all the oxygen that she needs from the air that she breaths! Can you believe that shit?

You have to find a doctor that is willing to work WITH you, for treatment.  One that will listen to what you have learned.  Most of us here, know more about clusters, and how to treat them, than most doctors know!  A truly good doctor, is willing to listen and learn!

Good luck, buddy!

Chuck

ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 1:47am

ClusterChuck wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 11:53pm:
josh wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 3:37pm:

Josh, this has been a constant irritation to those of us who know and have used oxygen for many years.

It seems that certain doctors feel that just because they have the letters PHD (which, in some cases, stands for Piled Higher & Deeper) after their name, they have ALL the answers.  How could any stupid little peons, like any patient is, have anything of value to teach an exalted intellect like HIM?

If your doctor has a PhD and no MD.... run!!!!!!!

You love me Chuck, remember that!

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #10 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 2:49am

Don't you DARE cut Chucky slack Fram!!! Grin Grin Grin

Joe..(who is NOT 50 yet) Wink

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #11 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 3:06am

Well we MAY have hit on Chuckles problem - he's been going to a PHD instead of a MD... ummmm..  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes He NEVER could get nothing right!!!

Hugs BD (who's a "little" bit over 50 and still gettin' hit)

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 10:38am

Larry wrote on Mar 21st, 2009 at 10:05pm:
Josh,
Go (with a prescription) to any place that rents and refills oxygen like a medical supply house or hospice service.  You really need a dual gauge regulator that controls from 1-15 and shows how much tank pressure is remaining (so you know when you need to get it refilled. Thru much trial and error what worked best for me was about 3-5 minutes of 7LPM, then dial it down 1LPM per minute until you get down to 1LPM.  All the while keeping an ice bag atop the head.\

Lar

Hi Larry,

It's GREAT that O2 works for you at that level - I truly wish it did for everyone! (I do know several others who are happy at 8-12 lpm too)

Many of us tried O2 years ago at 8, 12 and even 15 lpm and discarded it as a useless therapy and walked around saying that it "just doesn't work for me" - because it really didn't.

After being pushed to try it higher flow rates, MANY of us have actually gotten our lives back - because we found out that at a high enough rate - IT WORKS FOR US TOO!  In minutes.

This is why you will see such strong reactions. We just don't want another Clusterhead to needlessly suffer simply because they didn't try it at a high flow rate. We learned this the hard way, and we simply want to get the word out. There may be new study coming out soon.

If a person gets a high flow regulator, they can always turn it down if they need less, but........

Marc
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2009 at 10:41am by Marc »  

IP Logged

josh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 5:00pm

wow, i wasn't expecting to get these kind of responses from a simple regulator question. lol

i really appreciate the concern many of you take in helping a new member.

i've been using 02 for the last 6 years. (prescription o2) it seemed to me that for 1)i don't have ins. right now and 2) i'm tired of messing around with dr.'s when i know what works best for me. that has brought me to the conclusion that this simple regulator and welding o2 was my best bet. which i never even would of thought of myself - thank you clusterheadaches.com!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!