Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
help needed - CH and testosterone. (Read 1199 times)
wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
help needed - CH and testosterone.
Mar 19th, 2009 at 3:24pm

I need help in finding publications and studies or or references to publications about CH and testosterone, new publications, 2006-2009.

Michael

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: help needed - CH and testosterone.
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 3:48pm

Headache. 2006 Jun;46(6):925-33.  

Testosterone replacement therapy for treatment refractory cluster headache.

Stillman MJ.

Objectives.-To describe the clinical characteristics and laboratory findings of cluster headache patients whose headaches responded to testosterone replacement therapy. Background.-Current evidence points to hypothalamic dysfunction, with increased metabolic hyperactivity in the region of the suprachiasmatic nucleus, as being important in the genesis of cluster headaches. This is clinically borne out in the circadian and diurnal behavior of these headaches. For years it has been recognized that male cluster headache patients appear overmasculinized. Recent neuroendocrine and sleep studies now point to an association between gonadotropin and corticotropin levels and hypothalamically entrained pineal secretion of melatonin. Results.-Seven male and 2 female patients, seen between July 2004 and February 2005, and between the ages of 32 and 56, are reported with histories of treatment resistant cluster headaches accompanied by borderline low or low serum testosterone levels. The patients failed to respond to individually tailored medical regimens, including melatonin doses of 12 mg a day or higher, high flow oxygen, maximally tolerated verapamil, antiepileptic agents, and parenteral serotonin agonists. Seven of the 9 patients met 2004 International Classification for the Diagnosis of Headache criteria for chronic cluster headaches; the other 2 patients had episodic cluster headaches of several months duration. After neurological and physical examination all patients had laboratory investigations including fasting lipid panel, PSA (where indicated), LH, FSH, and testosterone levels (both free and total). All 9 patients demonstrated either abnormally low or low, normal testosterone levels. After supplementation with either pure testosterone in 5 of 7 male patients or combination testosterone/estrogen therapy in both female patients, the patients achieved cluster headache freedom for the first 24 hours. Four male chronic cluster patients, all with abnormally low testosterone levels, achieved remission. Conclusions.-Abnormal testosterone levels in patients with episodic or chronic cluster headaches refractory to maximal medical management may predict a therapeutic response to testosterone replacement therapy. In the described cases, diurnal variation of attacks, a seasonal cluster pattern, and previous, transient responsiveness to melatonin therapy pointed to the hypothalamus as the site of neurological dysfunction. Prospective studies pairing hormone levels and polysomnographic data are needed.

PMID: 16732838  
=========================
See:  Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
=========================

I did a search on PubMed (Library of Medicine), the major medical library in the U.S. Found nothing of recent date, the first article (above) being the only and latest abstract. This suggests little research going on on this topic.

We have had about 3-5 people, over the last three-years, post reports of their experiences. Most have been positive.

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2009 at 3:59pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 4:05pm

Getting slow Bob. That took you about 14 minutes to respond!  Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2009 at 4:06pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 9:04am

Oh!, Marc: It's age. Sometimes it's hard to find my zipper....

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

superhawk2300
CH.com Hall of Famer

New Berlin, WI
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 9:18am

I have had testosterone replacement therapy. I used to have a gel I used and I switched to bi-monthly shots as the gel sucks for many reasons. So much in fact I would say it doesn't really work.

I have had a cycle during my test therapy. In fact it was the last cycle I had and it was a bitch. Came on years sooner than "usual" and lasted longer than usual. Of course that may have nothing to do with the test. The longer lasting part I attribute to the use of Verapamil (seems to be for me at least).

Hope this helps a little.

WWW 1107217852  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 1:16pm

Bob Johnson wrote on Mar 20th, 2009 at 9:04am:
Oh!, Marc: It's age. Sometimes it's hard to find my zipper....

I always wondered where he kept all the knowledge Grin

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!