Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First time this has ever happened (Read 3466 times)
Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

First time this has ever happened
Mar 19th, 2009 at 8:23am

I'm back in cycle again for a few weeks now. Started up the preventative meds (Sansert, lithium, melatonin at night). They're doing a great job keeping the pain at bay - averaging one or two shadows a day that are pretty easily killed with O2 and/or an energy drink.

But here's the weird thing - and this has never happened to me before. I am waking up 2-3 times per night like I was getting hit, but with no pain. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Better this way than the other way around. But I'm wondering if being in cycle can still cause the sleep disruptions even though I'm not feeling the pain.

Has this ever happened to you?

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Re: First time this has ever happened
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 9:46am

Yup, but in my case that only happened with RC seeds.  Otherwise I'm an all or nothing guy.

Hoping it stays that way for you man.

Marc

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 9:52am

It's been 3 years since my last bout.  I still wake up EVERY night, EXACTLY 1 1/2 hours after going to bed.  Just can't sleep through that REM.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 9:54am

I've had a couple cycles that were a collections of mild hits - hardly worth the bother.  I was dancing with an Imp instead of the beast.  But it was odd that many of the other symptoms were there, just very little pain.  I even thought I was cured for awhile, but then I got another full cycle.  My time is coming next month, so I'm apprehensive about what this year will bring.

I hope this keeps up for you!

Jon

Jon

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:02am

Brew,

Are you experiencing any other symptoms besides just awakening.... watery eye, stuffed up nostril?  I experience this a lot when I wake during the night.  I keep expecting it to develop but , thankfully, so far it has not.

I hope you are back to sleeping soundly soon.

PF wishes,

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:14am

Jeannie wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:02am:
Brew,

Are you experiencing any other symptoms besides just awakening.... watery eye, stuffed up nostril?  I experience this a lot when I wake during the night.  I keep expecting it to develop but , thankfully, so far it has not.

I hope you are back to sleeping soundly soon.

PF wishes,

Jeannie

Boo - No other symptoms when awakening during the night. Just waking up. During the day is another matter - somewhat stuffy sinuses on the left side, and as I described, shadow-level pain once or twice a day. No eye stuff.

I'm sure the meds are suppressing a lot of this, but so far this cycle has been one of the easiest I've ever had. If this were the way most of us started out, I could easily see how it could be mistaken for sinus problems.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Sponsor

Stevens Point USA Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:16am

Not odd at all for me either.  Waking up in the night even without pain is a sure tell for me that the beast is trying to brew up trouble and it''s time to make  some seed sludge.   Smiley

"The goal of life living in agreement with Nature."  ~Zeno
peggflick ma_2_2  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:19am

No Brew haven't had that ride yet. Damned sorry to hear he's back, hope he's long gone by July, Christy can't wait to meet you guys.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:28am

Redd wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:16am:
the beast is trying to brew up trouble...

I like that. Wink

Guiseppi wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:19am:
No Brew haven't had that ride yet. Damned sorry to hear he's back, hope he's long gone by July, Christy can't wait to meet you guys.

Joe

Joseph, Joseph, Joseph - Do you think for one minute that I'd let this fucked up animal prevent me from meeting your better half?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:41am

Joseph, Joseph, Joseph - Do you think for one minute that I'd let this fucked up animal prevent me from meeting your better half?

You da man!!!! Grin

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #10 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:43am

Maybe more melatonin at night would help?? 

I know what you mean about the sinus thing.  Mine feels sort of raw on that side.   I find myself pushing on my cheek all day long trying to relieve the pressure.  I sure wish a round of antibiotics would cure us!   

Jeannie

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:53am

Jeannie wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:43am:
Maybe more melatonin at night would help??  

When I realized that this cycle was not a mirage, I stepped up my melatonin from 3mg to 6mg and now to 9mg. Been on 9 for about a week. Hmmm. I know E-Double said he's seen some studies that indicate up to 24mg. I'll have to chew on that one for awhile.

My immediate reaction is that when I wake up in the middle of the night after having taken 9mg, I feel drunk, and I stumble to the bathroom.

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 11:09am

Melatonin and benadryl is a really effective cocktail for me.  I step mine up in 1.5mg increments, and I notice a big difference.  It could just be coincidence too.  Monday nite I took 6mg and got hit every hour for 6 hours.  Tuesday I upped it to 7.5mg and didn't get hit once.

When you wake up in the middle of the night with no pain, do you have the restlessness or anxiety associated with a hit?

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 11:09am

Bill..........it has been 9 years since my last cycle but I wake up every 1 1/2 to 2 hours everynight. I am always awaken out of a dream so I know it is the REM. No ha's but I have not sleep thru a whole night for years.

BTW, my last 2 cycles were much milder than the previous 30 years.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 11:48am

BMoneeTheMoneeMan wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 11:09am:
Melatonin and benadryl is a really effective cocktail for me.  I step mine up in 1.5mg increments, and I notice a big difference.  It could just be coincidence too.  Monday nite I took 6mg and got hit every hour for 6 hours.  Tuesday I upped it to 7.5mg and didn't get hit once.

When you wake up in the middle of the night with no pain, do you have the restlessness or anxiety associated with a hit?

You reminded me, B$ - I also take 25mg of Benadryl with it at bedtime.

No anxiety, but restlessness - I guess you could call it that. Just the feeling of not being able to get back to sleep right away. The feeling of focusing on every little thing that's out to keep me awake (too hot, too cold, etc.).

This has me thinking - maybe increase the Benadryl to 50mg.

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #15 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 11:59am

Brew wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:28am:
Redd wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:16am:
the beast is trying to brew up trouble...

I like that. Wink

Guiseppi wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 10:19am:

Joe

Aw.... I feel honored! I'm looking forward to meeting you too!

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #16 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 12:12pm

Jimi wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 11:09am:
BTW, my last 2 cycles were much milder than the previous 30 years.

This is causing optimism to course through my veins.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #17 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:07pm

Count me in on the wake ups too and I've never been one with consistent night time hits.  I wake up even when Verapamil has the Genie firmly trapped in the bottle.

I hope your cycle continiues to be a light one and ends quikly.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #18 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:27pm

Brew wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 8:23am:
I'm back in cycle again for a few weeks now. Started up the preventative meds (Sansert, lithium, melatonin at night). They're doing a great job keeping the pain at bay - averaging one or two shadows a day that are pretty easily killed with O2 and/or an energy drink.

But here's the weird thing - and this has never happened to me before. I am waking up 2-3 times per night like I was getting hit, but with no pain. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Better this way than the other way around. But I'm wondering if being in cycle can still cause the sleep disruptions even though I'm not feeling the pain.

Has this ever happened to you?

Yes, I've had entire cycles where I didn't have headaches, but woke up like clockwork. I usually get some symptoms on the affected side - swelling, or twitching eye, but sometimes just suddenly wide awake.

Are you remembering your dreams more?

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #19 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:28pm

One of the signs that I'm approaching or passing through one of my "old" cycle windows is disrupted sleep.  I begin waking up during each REM cycle throughout the night, even though there is no pain.

This year, as I've been approaching my cycle window in May/June, I've begun taking melatonin early.  (I normally don't begin taking it until I go in cycle.)  Only 3 mg. right now, but it seems to have suppressed the tendency to wake up during REM. 

Although my cycles have gotten farther and farther apart over the years, I think whatever mechanism occurs with CH is still in play--it's just that the manifestation of it is more often subclinical, and doesn't rise above the threshold where pain begins.

Hope your cycle continues to be easier than normal, Bill, and that it is soon finished.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #20 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:32pm

monty wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:27pm:
Are you remembering your dreams more?

Not any more or less than usual. I'd say I remember about 25% of my dreams to one extent or another. That's assuming I actually dream the other 75% of the time.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #21 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:36pm

It's amazing to me how many things are related to CH that I didn't realize before.   Sleeplessness, increased sense of smell, ect.  Since joining this site, I have become so much more aware of what my body is telling me regarding CH.

Jeannie

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #22 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 1:50pm

Just asking - I usually don't remember my dreams, but when in cycle, I often wake up in a dream with vivid recall. Being pain-free makes it easier to think about the dream and retain it.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 2:33pm

Bob P wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 9:52am:
It's been 3 years since my last bout.  I still wake up EVERY night, EXACTLY 1 1/2 hours after going to bed.  Just can't sleep through that REM.

That's just your prostate, Bob  Wink

IP Logged

Steambug
CH.com Junior

clock watching

Worcestershire, UK
Reply #24 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 8:05pm

I've had shadows I think with the autonomic symptoms but no headache or what I'd term a really mild one

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!