Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
'background' headache (Read 894 times)
Steambug
CH.com Junior

clock watching

Worcestershire, UK
'background' headache
Mar 15th, 2009 at 3:45pm

I found a reference to CH'ers sometimes having a 'background' headache, wondered if this iis anyone else's experience?

I have a constant headache (probably what most folk who dont have CH would call a moderately/bad or bad headache) 24hrs a day (if I wake up in the night without a CH, I still have the 'background' one, so I assume its there all the time).

I wake up with it, it never leaves, its just overtaken by the hits when they come, then its back to the background one. Its a frontal headache, but affects both sides, mainly on the CH side though, but also at the back of my head.

sorry for asking yet another question - Im still trying to work this all out!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: 'background' headache
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 4:06pm

PERHAPS.....

Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2001 Feb;5(1):55-9. 

Premonitory symptoms in cluster headache.

Raimondi E.

Catedra de Neurologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad Nacional de Rosario, 9 de Julio 3826, Rosario 2002 PKP, Argentina. raimondi@cablenet.com.ar

Cluster headache is one of the most excruciating headaches affecting human beings--especially the male sex. Most of the cluster headache cases are of episodic nature, with active cluster periods lasting generally between a few weeks and 2 or 3 months. A still undetermined percentage of patients report nonpainful sensations preceding the onset of the pain attack for a variable period of time. If occurring only a few minutes or a few hours before the onset of pain, such symptoms are called prodromal. When occurring for several days, weeks, or months before the pain, they are termed premonitory symptoms. The author believes that premonitory symptoms have not been properly diagnosed and emphasizes the need to investigate their presence, because by knowing them advances can be made in the understanding of the physiopathology of this particular cephalalgia. Furthermore, it can also allow the physician to be ahead, by giving preventive treatment and stopping or diminishing the intensity and duration of the pain attacks.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 11252138 

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Katie
CH.com Junior

I just get 'those' headaches.

England
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 4:07pm

Steambug,

Is it only there during cluster periods or is it a constant headache that is always there?

[Asking because its possible to have more than one headache disorder.    It would be wise to talk to your neuro about this so he can try and work out what treatement would best help you.

Pain is no evil unless it conquers us.  

IP Logged

Steambug
CH.com Junior

clock watching

Worcestershire, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 4:10pm

hi, thanks for the info

sorry, I'd meant to say that this background headache started the same day as the CH.

I have a long history of chronic headache as part of my Behcet's Disease (have been at different times on beta blockers, amitriptyline, topamax, pizotifen, carbamazapine, calcium blockers to try to control them) and it was always of this background type with a few cycles of what I now know is CH and also frequent migraine (very easy to tell them apart), but I do remember that when I have a CH cycle, I have this background headache pretty much 24/7 as well.

I have been having some episodes with running nose, watery eye, tender area on forehead, prickles down side of nose, sweating on one side of forehead, getting hot, fast heart rate...... i.e. all the symptoms I get during a hit (plus the usual head pain), but with a much less severe headache, I thought these were shadows? I also tend to get this half an hour before the hit.
Im wondering if they are hits but are less severe as maybe my verapamil is helping? Im still pretty much confused about working out what is what with all this (sure you can tell!  Grin)

thanks for all your help - I'll stop rambling at some point soon I promise!
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2009 at 4:15pm by Steambug »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!