Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
oxygen 12 hours on / 12 hours off (Read 1041 times)
efamily
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

oxygen 12 hours on / 12 hours off
Mar 13th, 2009 at 3:02pm

Has anyone tried using oxygen for 12 hours on / 12 hours off at
7 liters using a mask ?

IP Logged

BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus

In remembrance of KingCazman.
RIP

Portland, OR
Re: oxygen 12 hours on / 12 hours off
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 3:08pm

Well, using a mask while sleeping could prove to be difficult, so I am gonna guess you are talking about using O2 for 12 straight waking hours?

If you are talking about nose cannules, I could see the added O2 in your body helping to constrict blood vessels.  That could very well lead to 12 hours of PF time.  Actually using the O2 for 12 hours could prove to be too much of a burden, though.

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you.  Fool - can't get fooled again"&&&&&&Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.&&&&

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 4:01pm

I seem to remember reading somewhere that no matter how long you're on 100% O2, once you go back to breathing room air, your blood vessels will return to their normal state in no longer than 20 minutes, usually less, unless acted upon by some other force (i.e., chemical in our case).

This would explain why someone who aborts a hit with 100% O2 can get hit again almost right away.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 4:09pm

Occasionally huffing pure oxygen at high flow rates to abort is quite safe, but breathing it for hours and hours on end can damage the lungs. 

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 11:17pm

eFamily,

A few of us have tried low flow rate oxygen therapy while sleeping with a nose cannula with inconclusive results.  I still got hit.

You're better off using your oxygen therapy early at the first indication of an approaching attack if at all possible.  Use an oxygen flow rate that supports hyperventilation...  25 liters/minute is the minimum flow rate to do this effectively and it should result in relatively short abort times.

If you still want to try prolonged oxygen therapy, make sure you use a nose cannula with a humidifier.  Oxygen is very dry and NRB masks with straps over your head are a NO! NO! for us.  If you run out of oxygen with an NRB mask strapped to your face and you run out of oxygen, it could be curtains...

I would suggest a low comfortable flow rate of 5 liters/minute or less.  A flow rate of 7 liters/minute will run a full M-size oxygen cylinder dry in a little over 7 hours.  A flow rate of 4 liters/minute will get you 13 hours with a full M-size oxygen cylinder.

Flow rates this low with a nose cannula are very safe...  This is similar to the oxygen therapy used by COPD sufferers to provide oxygen augmentation.

See Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Check your PM InBox for more details on oxygen therapy.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!