Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
whats the 02ptimask's benefits?? (Read 2009 times)
worriedwife
CH.com Newbie

IM NEVA GONNA LET THE
BEAST WIN!!!

lancs uk
whats the 02ptimask's benefits??
Mar 10th, 2009 at 1:21pm

hi all well my hubby has finally got his 02 and has been issued with a non-rebreather mask. Sometimes he says he feels like he aint getting the full effect of the 02... I.E. its as if it might be leaking or something but we're pretty sure its not!! Can anyone offer some advice as to how to get past this hiccup? ive looked at the ad for the 02ptimask but im still pretty ignorant to all the technical jargon.... So all u great ppl out there any input would be greatly appreciated thanx Charlotte

IP Logged

Mrs Deej
YaBB Administrator

My life is what I make
it, and it's beautiful!

Tornado Alley
Re: whats the 02ptimask's benefits??
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 1:25pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I think the comments in this thread pretty much paint you a picture of how great they work.

I have been told they abort in half the time (for some).

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" - Bill Cosby
WWW MrsDeej 1514951301  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 1:47pm

Oye vay!  It is the difference of night verses day!

Does your husbands mask look close to this picture?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

If so, there are many problems with this mask.  It will get you through, in a pinch, but the O2PTIMASKTM is SO much easier to use, without most of the pitfalls of the mask in the picture above.

Now look at THIS mask:

In the first picture, you notice where the mask fits up to the face, there is just an edge of plastic to fit.  This does NOT give an airtight seal, especially if he has any facial hair.  If you look at the second picture, notice the red around the edge of the mask.  This is an air filled chamber, that forms VERY well to the contours of the face, and gives a MUCH better seal.

If you look back at the first picture, you notice the two round white seals on each side of the mask.  These are air valves that are suppose to seal when you inhale, and then release when you exhale.  MANY masks only have the flapper seal on one side, and the other just has holes.  These are notoriously prone to letting in outside air, keeping him from getting 100% oxygen.

If you look at the second picture, you notice that there are no vent holes on the sides of the mask.  The valving and venting are all done in the green "T" valve assembly.  These seals are much more secure, and do not fail as often or as fast as the ones on the side of the first pictures valves.

In the first picture, you do not see the full bag, but it is small, only about 1 liter in capacity.  The second picture shows the whole bag, it is deep green.  This is a much larger bag, that holds about 3 liters of oxygen.  For each deep inhale that he does, during oxygen therapy, he will inhale between 2 and 3 liters of oxygen.  The bigger bag allows for that, where the smaller one does not.  He will be emptying the bag for each inhale.

The first picture is called a "disposable" mask.  Not that you would dispose of it, after only one use, but it gives you a hint of the quality of the whole mask and its components.  They are not designed for repeated or long term usage.  

The mask in the second picture is design with heavier material, and longer lasting components.  The whole thing can be easily disassembled for cleaning.

Using the O2PTIMASKTM (the second picture) gives a much quicker abort time, and last a lot longer.  Most people that have tried them, swear by them.

Does that answer your questions?

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

worriedwife
CH.com Newbie

IM NEVA GONNA LET THE
BEAST WIN!!!

lancs uk
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 6:17pm

YES!!! god bless you for going into so much detail... Looks like my next move is to get george that 02ptimask. im still amazed at how much effort you all put into helping ppl! If i can be just half as helpfull to anyone that'd be great. i dont know much about ch but i do know about how much it hurts our loved ones. here's praying as many of you are PF right now xoxo to all u wonderful ppl Charlotte

IP Logged

Katie
CH.com Junior

I just get 'those' headaches.

England
Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 6:31pm

I have the standard UK none rebreather - it works for me as long as I make sure I pinch the top around my nose.

That mask does not give the worlds most cosy fit so yes I imagine he wants to kick it.

PLEASE- contact OUCH UK first.

Our O2 cyclinders are differant our regulators are different and I bet you that means the tube sizes and all might well be too. You could order a mask from the USA that does not fit the UK equipment.

The UKs home oxygen service should supply the best mask for the users needs. This may mean seeing a neuro and getting the HOOF tweaked the UKs NHS home oxygen portal is here Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register go to your regions supplier.
You need to talk to them about the problems he is having with the mask; it may be possible to have one of the techies come out and re-assess what might meet his needs more and make a recommendation for the doc to request on the hoof.

OUCH UK folk have been doing this far longer than I have and have far more experience so do ask them on their helpline.

*edited to add- Air Liquide do seem to provide a range of comfort gel full face masks similar to the US one you can find them hidden on their website as PDF files if you use the search feature but they cost a little more to supply than the Ł2.00 sole use ones they normally hand out Wink perhaps that is why they are so well hidden in pdfs.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2009 at 6:49pm by Katie »  

Pain is no evil unless it conquers us.  

IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 7:37pm

Can't say enough good things about it, made the one they gave me with the 02 script, pale in comparison. It looks like the one Chuck has pictured, I'd only use that now if I were in a pinch and had nothing else. I own two of the O2Ptimasks. One for the car and one for the house. Well worth the money IMHO.

I can honestly say it took my pervious 02 abort attempts to a much more successful level and has cut my abort times in half or more.

Good luck,
Baer

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 1:12am

Damnit, Chuck, now I want one of those masks.

Now someone is going to find me with a picture of the mask on the laptop, petting it and repeating "The precious...my preciousss...."

I'm going to tell them to blame you. *shakes fist at*

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 5:46am

Pixie-elf wrote on Mar 12th, 2009 at 1:12am:
Damnit, Chuck, now I want one of those masks.

Now someone is going to find me with a picture of the mask on the laptop, petting it and repeating "The precious...my preciousss...."

I'm going to tell them to blame you. *shakes fist at*

Oh Yeah Pix - you tend to pet them and mutter "My precious little darling....." We understand and don't think you're at all weird.. Smiley

Chuck thought Linda and I fell in love with him in Dallas but it was his MASK (we both got hit and he slapped it on us - it was love at first sniff). We both came home with one...

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 4:40pm

Good to know I won't be the only one doing that!  Cheesy Maybe Chuck should write a song titled "They think my clustermask is sexy"? XD

I thought of a question I do have about the mask. If you get the 3 liter bag, do you need a higher regulator?

The one I have currently is 15lpm, and I've got the regular throw-away mask. Just wonderin'.

PFDAN
Mystina

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Mar 14th, 2009 at 5:43pm

Pixie-elf wrote on Mar 14th, 2009 at 4:40pm:
Maybe Chuck should write a song titled "They think my clustermask is sexy"?

"I'm too sexy for my mask.
Too sexy for my tank.
Too sexy for my hose and my regulator."

You get the idea. I want to see the video.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

acapr220
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #10 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 3:14am

How much do these cost. I don't have health insurance...

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #11 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 4:21am

They are $28.60 and worth every penny!

Click on the tab, on the left side of your screen: CH.com store to order it.  Or just click on this link: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #12 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 7:33am

I am currently using a "Clustermasx" and it is a godsend. I am going to purchase an o2ptimask very soon so I have the best masks with me at home and in the car.

The cheaper non-rebreather masks are ok, but I can abort a HA in less than half the time with a proper mask. No outside air!!!

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #13 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 6:41pm

Quote:
I thought of a question I do have about the mask. If you get the 3 liter bag, do you need a higher regulator?

I have a clustermax, and many of the same features apply.  Basically, the tank fills the bag a little at a time, and you suck it out an occasional big batch whenever you inhale.  As long as the trickle is enough to be a little more than the average inhales, the flow is fine.   The siaze of the bag just needs to be a little bigger than your biggest inhale.   Kind of like a slot machine for air.  If you are completely collapsing the bag, turn up the flow a bit.

One tip from an ex-swimmer - remember to completely exhale.  Most of us keep some bad air in our lungs when we exhale.  Push it out and then get a refill with the good stuff.

PFDAN

Jon

Jon

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 9:13pm

I didn't realize how much room air I was actually sucking with my regular non-rebreather mask until I got one similar to the O2ptimask.

When I switched masks, I thought my regulator was failing because I was suddenly sucking the bag flat - I even switched back to be sure. Turns out I needed more flow than 15 lpm to maintain 100% O2 which I wasn't getting because of leakage and I didn't even know it.

Get the mask.

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 12:53am

ClusterChuck wrote on Mar 18th, 2009 at 4:21am:
They are $28.60 and worth every penny!

Click on the tab, on the left side of your screen: CH.com store to order it.  Or just click on this link: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Chuck

Silly question, but is there any major difference between this one, and the more expensive one on the Lifegas site?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #16 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 11:06pm

They O2PTI comes from Lifegas. DJ bought a bunch of them to make it easier for us to get one. Best money I've spent for CH.

Don
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2009 at 11:08pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

southwalessunshine
CH.com Veteran

caerphilly uk
Reply #17 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 4:18am

I've read about the 02ptimask but I don't think you can get it over here in the UK.  Surprising really as we usually get all the best stuff....ho hum Smiley
Is there anyone here that can pioint us brits in the right direction for a better mask than the standard non re breather, and can we get it from the 02 guys or order it ourselves. 
Thanks in advance x

keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow.&&Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much.&&Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.&&Helen keller

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #18 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 4:19am

Skyhawk5 wrote on Mar 23rd, 2009 at 11:06pm:
They O2PTI comes from Lifegas. DJ bought a bunch of them to make it easier for us to get one. Best money I've spent for CH.

Don

Yes, but the lifegas site has 2 versions of the mask up. One is the kind that's in the CH shop. The other is about $35 more.

I'm just wondering if there's any major difference between the two masks? Looks like I'm in this for the long haul, so I'm wondering if the higher priced one is worth it.

I gotta get one eventually, or else a whole lot of the regular ones will be massacred by me.

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!