Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
smoking to abort an attack (Read 2635 times)
Steambug
CH.com Junior

clock watching

Worcestershire, UK
smoking to abort an attack
Mar 9th, 2009 at 9:06am

Probably a strange thing to ask...

I quit smoking 6 months ago, which helped a lot with various health problems I have. I did used to notice though that if I got a horrendous headache, a cigarette would sometimes stop it in its tracks before it peaked.

This past 2 weeks I've been having a cycle starting 7:30 - 8pm every evening for 2 hours, on saturday I just couldnt stand it anymore, I was at a friend's house (she smokes) and in the middle of bashing my hand on my head said to her could I have a cigarette? I smoked it and half way through smoking it - it aborted the headache!

Obviously im not advocating smoking and I had thought it made clusters worse from what I've read?? I assume the nicotine constricts the blood vessels like triptans do, but Ive only ever had tablet triptans which dont work for me, Im thinking they just dont act fast enough.

Wondered if anyone else had experienced this? I will tell my neuro anyway, but Ive no intention of starting smoking again - hard enough to give up the first time!

Lolly

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: smoking to abort an attack
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 10:04am

It's an interesting observation.

Although nicotine has never actually aborted an attack for me, smoking during an attack (I'd never manage it during a bad hit, you understand--just a mild to moderate one) seems to have the effect of "freezing" it in place. 

It's a little hard to explain, but I'll do my best. 

The attack will get no worse for a while, but no better either.  After 20 minutes or so, it will resume its course--improving or worsening. 

For that reason, I avoid smoking during a hit.  It just seems to postpone what the thing is going to inevitably do. 

Smoking afterwards seems to make no difference.

Clusterheads have a complicated relationship with nicotine.  I don't think we entirely understand it.

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 10:10am

I smoke and when I feel a ch coming on, I cannot even think of smoking or being around cigarette smoke.  Smoke makes the pain much worse for me.

That being said, as soon as the hit is completely over, I want a cig!

Beth

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 12:17pm

i smoke more during my hits.

I would smoke in my sleep if someone could hold the cigarette for me.

Probably not a good thing, but it helpd with the tremendous stress that comes with CH.

If you don't smoke....stay that way!!

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 12:51pm

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, that is why it raises blood pressure.  I can't smoke during a major hit, but through a minor one I can.

As smoking is a rollercoaster of vasoconstriction and wearing off (vasodialation), it is probably somewhat worse to do by someone who suffers from vascular headaches.

Just my humble opinion,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 3:12pm

When I use to smoke 4+ years ago, I would almost be gauranteed
to have a cluster immediately following the cigarette, only during cycle of course.  Since I have quit, the intensity, frequency, duration, and total cycle  time has been reduced.  I seriously think quitting has helped me in many ways. 

I do however miss that celebration cigarette after defeating the beast after each hit.

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Steambug
CH.com Junior

clock watching

Worcestershire, UK
Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 4:24pm

thanks, thats interesting, Im not going to smoke again, I think desperation just got the better of me on saturday, in the past having a cigarette did not always abort it, sometimes it did. On balance I'd rather avoid them, didnt enjoy smoking it which has to be a good thing.

Doc has just given me some rizatriptan wafers says they will act faster than the tablets so going to give them a go, tonight has been better though (normally would be bang in the middle of one right now), all I have is a very bad 'ordinary headache' tonight, since going back on the verapamil recently so fingers crossed that is going to help long term

thanks,

Lolly
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2009 at 4:26pm by Steambug »  

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 9:39pm

Steambug wrote on Mar 10th, 2009 at 4:24pm:
Doc has just given me some rizatriptan wafers says they will act faster than the tablets...

Actually, since rizatriptan is absorbed in the gut (not the lining of the mouth), they don't work appreciably faster. When the wafer hits your gut it's already mostly liquified, whereas a tablet has to dissolve, so there's maybe a 5-minute advantage with the wafer. Still about 25-30 minutes before it's working.

The wafers were designed more for convenience.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Steambug
CH.com Junior

clock watching

Worcestershire, UK
Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 5:05pm

thanks, I discovered that they really dont help, posted in 'getting to know ya' about how rubbish my GP/doc app was today, different doc from last app, this one didnt want to know about O2 and said there was no point in trying a different form of sumatriptan, have rung my neuro's office, said they would get him to call me or see me

IP Logged

BrettK
CH.com Junior

It could be worse...

Anchorage, Alaska
Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 3:03pm

I ca Cheesyn't really speak to the smoking because I quit 4 months ago while out of cycle.  Before that, I went on verapamil SR twice daily and that's really helped decrease the intensity of the CHs now that I'm back in cycle.  But when I did smoke and wasn't on verapamil, I'd swear a cig helped.  But I'm like you, I'm not starting again.  It was too tough to quit in the first place.

The rizatriptan (Maxalt) works well for me but they are a last resort because I get quite irritable with the Maxalt in me.  I found that drinking about 12 oz of water gets the maxalt in the gut and working much faster.

My main abortive is Soma; a muscle relaxant.  It stops the radiation of the pain from my eye to my temples and neck.  I'm a little loopy after the soma, but it's better than being a bit**!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 3:40pm

If you haven't tried oxygen...please consider it. Read the link on the left, used correctly I cna abort an attack in as little as 6-8 minutes. It's certainly worth a shot!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Steambug
CH.com Junior

clock watching

Worcestershire, UK
Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 6:38pm

I just wish my GP was prepared to prescribe oxygen, he has said no

waiting to hear back from my neuro

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!