Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CH Awareness Campaign (Read 3038 times)
Andrew F. Hurt
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

CH Awareness Campaign
Mar 8th, 2009 at 5:15pm

My name is Andrew F. Hurt and I have been working in the field of cluster headache research for about seven years. I am now mounting a major public education initiative to spread awareness and promote the prompt and effective treatment of CH. To this end, I am traveling around the country interviewing ordinary sufferers of CH and recording their stories. If you would like to be involved in this project, please contact me. Anybody's participation, in whatever capacity possible, is most welcome. Thank you.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2009 at 4:01am by Andrew F. Hurt »  

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Re: CH Awareness Campaign
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 5:37pm

Andrew F. Hurt wrote on Mar 8th, 2009 at 5:15pm:
My name is Andrew F. Hurt and I have been working in the field of cluster headache research for about seven years.

Could you elaborate on that a bit:  
>   WHERE have you been working on the research?  
>   In what capacity?  
>   Why cluster headaches?  
>   What are your credentials to enable you to do this research?  
>   What will happen to the results of your research?

Please don't get me wrong.  I am NOT against this at all.  I would just like to know who I/we will be dealing with, that is all.

If you are legitimate, I would LOVE to be involved with your project and submit my experiences with the beast.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 5:40pm

I only speak for myself, but I'd need to know more about your credentials before I'd give you word one about my personal information.

Edited to add: And I'm sorry if your name just sounds like too much of a snow job. Andy Hurt? What are the chances?
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2009 at 5:41pm by Brew »  

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 5:45pm

Very fuzzy, but I think there's been mention of a doctor with this name in Houston.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 5:48pm

I don't rule out coincidences, but I'd still need to know more.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Mrs Deej
YaBB Administrator

My life is what I make
it, and it's beautiful!

Tornado Alley
Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 5:58pm

I second EVERYTHING Chuck said/asked...

I would appreciate a contact so we can discuss your project as well!

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" - Bill Cosby
WWW MrsDeej 1514951301  
IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 6:17pm

i need more info as well, our stories are not always pretty and we have had to out of necessity doubt vague info.  if it is legitament im all into it, but need more info.

IP Logged

ANNSIE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 6:20pm

I have some more questions to ask please :

- Who is funding your research and who is backing you on this awareness campaign ?

- What are the results of your research so far ? Have they been published and where?

- What are your recommendation as to "prompt and and effective " treatment of CH ?

Thank you

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 6:21pm

PLEASE don't think we are against this sort of thing!  It is just that we have had our fair share of charlatans coming in here to try and pull some sort of stunt.

Are we over protective?  I don't think so.  In today's "online" society, we have to be VERY careful of who we give any information to.

Just satisfy our concerns, and you will have PLENTY of volunteers!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 7:32pm

Andrew, in addition to the questions Chuck asked... Who are you with? Who is producing this documentary? Who is backing you on this?

What kind of research are you doing on cluster headaches? Are you researching certain aspects of CH? is there a specific area you are looking at? What have you published so far on CH, and where? We'd like to read the publications

I googled his name, came up with facebook, and that's it. I figure if he's published anywhere on the research, it would come up.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 8:31pm

Attempting to look, this is all I could find with cluster headache and the last name:

Mathew NT, Hurt W: Radiofrequency trigeminal gangliolysis in the treatment of chronic intractable cluster headache. Headache 25:166, 1985.

Mathew NT, Hurt W: Percutaneous radiofrequency trigeminal gangliorhizolysis in intractable cluster headache. Headache 28:328-331, 1988.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 10:59pm

Just like an officer of the law:

" License and registration please!" Smiley

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #12 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 5:56am

Are you the Andrew Hurt I talked to several years ago (Dr. Hurt's son)?

If so, he comes with good credentials... And he has been working on CH for years.

And insofar as the name goes. It does sound a little strange, but when I went to Dr. Hurt he laughed about it and said the really funny part of it was that he trained under a Dr. Sweet and they had a running joke - if Dr. Sweet got ticked at you then he gave you to Dr. Hurt Smiley.

Andrew, if you are who I think you are, I'm sure you'll have more support here than you'll ever hope for. Please tell us more.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #13 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 6:18am

Quote:
Mathew NT, Hurt W: Radiofrequency trigeminal gangliolysis in the treatment of chronic intractable cluster headache. Headache 25:166, 1985.

Mathew NT, Hurt W: Percutaneous radiofrequency trigeminal gangliorhizolysis in intractable cluster headache. Headache 28:328-331, 1988.

If so, this could be his father, Dr. Wayne Hurt.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #14 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 6:54am

Let me say something here folks. Wayne Hurt operated on me back in 99 and some of you have heard me talk about him before , but for those who haven't.... MY surgery was NOT a success, but I have nothing but GOOD to say about Dr. Hurt and have recommended him to anyone who was contemplating that surgery.

A few years back, his son called up out of the clear blue to see how I was doing years later (he was researching patients who'd had the surgery to see how they were doing). At the time he was working with his father on this project.

so if you want to google - try Wayne Hurt in Houston. The man has spent most of his career on TN and CH and is about the most knowledgable person I can think of on both. I've talked to some of his other patients (some the surgery worked and some it didn't) and they all feel the same way about him that I do. He's a neuro-surgeron without an ego.

I've Pmed Andrew and asked him to verify that he's the same one I talked to and if he is - he's got 100% of my support.

Hugs BD
p.s.  I just checked and Andrew is Dr. Hunt's son, so he's got my support....
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2009 at 7:04am by BarbaraD »  

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #15 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 4:45pm

Andrew I've seen you pop in and out a few times a day these past couple of days.  Cat got your tongue?

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #16 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 5:03pm

Andrew,  O.U.C.H. is having our annual convention in St. Louis this year.  If you're anywhere near there in July you could meet up with lots of cluster headache sufferers.

The 2009 OUCH Convention will be held July 23-26 in St Louis, MO at the Crown Plaza Hotel, St Louis Airport.  Here is the link:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register.

Linda Howell

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #17 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 6:52pm

I too would love to help, but am very cautious of such a vague notation of your own identification.  If you offer to pay me for my troubles, and the funding is going to come from, say, a Nigerian prince, we really have a problem.

I second the idea of attending the conference.  If you're legit this would be quite a cost effective way for you to meet & talk to sufferers from all over the country, and possibly globe.  You'd also get people from all walks of life and suffering at different levels, as well as some of their supporters.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #18 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 5:32am

NOTE TO EVERYONE:

I've been in contact with Andrew and he is who I thought he was. I've talked to him in the past and he has been involved with CH for years, so I'll vouch for him 100%.

He's decided to take a different tact with his study.

I think it would be nice if OUCH contacted him and asked him to speak at convention. Right now I'm hurting and I'm willing to get into any study that might bring any kind of breakthru for us. Last year brought an O2 study that helped me a lot, so who knows what the future might bring.

Hugs BD

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #19 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 8:21am

But now who'll vouch for you? Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!