Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Started my spring cycle...in Thailand...BOOOO (Read 726 times)
diefaster
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Anchorage, AK
Started my spring cycle...in Thailand...BOOOO
Mar 7th, 2009 at 10:56pm

I don't post here much so here's some back story...I'm 28, I've had CH for 8 yrs and my dad has them too, so I'm not new to them, and I'm in the USAF.  I don't get my headaches as bad as I used too, matter of fact my last couple cycles I went through unmedicated, other than some motrin or red bull.  Previously I was on Depakote and it seemed to work, either that or it was the end of my cycle...I could never tell.  I was getting really lucky with the timing of my headaches; I would only get them maybe a few times a week and only in the middle of the night, so they would never affect me at work.  And since they didn't affect me at work I never really worried about them.

Well, on my recent deployment to Thailand, they hit...HARD.  It was our last week there, and I started getting them every day around 1 p.m.  I didn't know what the hell to do...it had been so long since I had gotten them that I had fallen out of my rhythm.  I always take a few Imitrex autoinjectors on every deployment, just in-case, but they ran out pretty quickly.  I started examining everything I was doing...I was drinking plenty of water, as it was really hot.  I stopped drinking alcohol entirely.  The flight doctor couldn't do anything for me because we were in a foreign country away from "modernized health-care."  It SUCKED.  Then came the flight home.  I was hoping that I could load up on Tylenol P.M. and go comatose for the whole thing, but alas, it was not to be.  Our flight got stuck on the ground for 6 hours because the Thais would not refuel our chartered airplane.  I had 4 attacks while we sat on the ground.  Finally we took off and I passed out.  I didn't wake up until we hit ground in Anchorage. 

Before we had left Thailand, I had called my wife and asked her to put in an order for more Imitrex shots and set up an appt with my doc...he started me on Topamax.  I'm now in my 2nd full week of it, but it doesn't seem to be taking.  I think it has more to do with the Imitrex though.  While it works wonders, I'm pretty sure it is giving me rebounds.  If I could just get my headaches to a pattern of just occurring at night, then I could deal with them in the comfort of my own home; I can't and won't deal with them at work while I'm trying to fix F-15's...it's impossible. 

I'm going in to see the doc again on Monday or Tuesday so talk about other possible abortive options aside from Imitrex injectors...I'm going to look around here, but I've seen some good things.

I guess I don't really have any questions, I just wanted to rant.  Week 4 of one of my worse cycles.  My doctor is pretty cool though, definitely not the normal motrin-dispensing douche I usually get in the military.  He knew exactly what I was going through, and when I ran out of shots after the first week he didn't hesitate in putting through another scrip for me.  (Tricare will only let you have 8 shots in a 3 month period; after that you need your doctor to override it)

I feel really bad for my wife.  She really wants to go out and have fun, but I just can't.  And on top of that, I've been pretty depressed since this cycle started.  It's a lot for her to deal with, especially because I'm usually the one dragging her out to hang out.  She's been really good with it though; when I get my headache she knows right where I keep my headache beer (a can of Bud Light that has been in my fridge for 2 years for the sole purpose of putting on my head during a headache).

Anyway, thanks for listening.  I really want a beer.  Hopefully this Topamax takes hold soon.

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Started my spring cycle...in Thailand...BOOOO
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 12:07am

Have your flight surgeon write you a prescription for oxygen therapy as shown below. You won't be sorry.

V/R, Batch

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Klick on the following link and print.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #2 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 8:40am

What dose of topamax are you on?  It takes a little while to get in your system. Sometimes it doesn't work if the dose is too low.

My maintenance dose is 100mg at night (take it at night and it lessens the side effects). I have been up to 400mg during a really bad cycle, but had some bad effects (got suicidal). But it's been my magic bullet since 99 (I'm chronic).

O2 O2 O2.... Listen to Pete about that. It's done wonders for so many here (about 70%) as an abortative. In fact it's taken the place of trex for a lot of people.

Also some of us switched from Trex to Cafergot (another vaso-constrictor) because of the side effects (and I personally think it works better and longer). It comes in pills and supposotories (if you do the supp. be SURE to us a phenergan supp. BEFORE you do the cafergot cause it has a naseauting effect and you could get sick).

Hope the cycle ends really soon and you get to take your wife out on the town.

Hugs BD

P.S.  Frozen peas work better than the Bud - fits your head better. Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2009 at 8:40am by BarbaraD »  

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

diefaster
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Anchorage, AK
Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 12:57pm

I'm in the 3rd week of titration of Topamax, which is 25 mg in the a.m, and 50 mg in p.m.  On Friday I go to 50 mg a.m. and p.m.  During the first couple days I thought I had some side effects of anxiousness, but I wasn't sure if it was from the medicine or from the headaches themselves or from the fact that I had just got home from a deployment.  Either way it only lasted for around 2 days, so I didn't worry about it, and other than the headaches I have felt fine since.

I had thought about Oxygen, and I will ask the doc about it today, but I need something that will work within 5 minutes like the Imitrex does, just in case I get an attack at work, and I can't take O2 to work with me (it's an industrial hazard).  Plus, I have had attacks at work before and I don't want them to define me, I guess.  If I get an attack, I can just slip into the office, take a shot, and I'm good in a couple of minutes, no harm, no foul.  Not everybody understands that these aren't just "headaches," and I don't want to look like someone who wants to get out of work because it's cold outside (it's pretty damn cold out) or something like that. 

I took a week of leave this week just to give the Topamax some extra time to kick in, and to try and get my cycle a little more in-check.  I think it's starting to work...I think.  I started a night-time regimen of 9 mg melatonin and I can now sleep through the night, but my headaches still come in the morning when I wake up.  I think I can counter them with an alarm clock, though...As crazy as this sounds, when I allow myself to sleep in, I will get a CH every time, but when I wake up by alarm clock at 6 a.m. (or earlier) I won't get one, but then I have to stay caffinated and active the rest of the day.  That's my "experiment" for tomorrow. 

Many thanks for the advice and best wishes for all.  I always feel really bad when I get to the "why me?" phase of the CH, when I realize that eventually my season will be over, to be replaced by PF for a little while, meanwhile, there are people who deal with this year-round. 

One more thing, for anyone using Imitrex statdose, does anyone else get a sensation of whole upper body burning shortly after the injection?  I always inject it into my upper arm...that's probably the reason.  It only lasts for a minute or two, and I'm used to it now, but I just wanted to know if it was normal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!