Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What works best (Read 2199 times)
Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
What works best
Mar 7th, 2009 at 7:37pm

Being an episodic cluster head for 17 out of my 36 years of life, i've decided to STOP reading everything on the net spending hours and hours researching trying to find some link to a cure.

Forgive me for ranting- I'm in Mid-Cycle!

Going to my doc Monday and just bring 3 sheets of paper full of meds that prevent CH. I don't just want to abort anymore!! I want to "treat" it.

I dont care if i walk out of the docs with 7 diff meds...HELL..cover it up, put a cape on it, and let it fight crime!!!!!

Besides O2,(which is a great abortive) what seems to be a good prevent med that has worked for a majority of you all?

-Kim

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: What works best
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 8:37pm

Kimmie,

Check your PM InBox.

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Dennis
CH.com Junior

People's Republic of Mass.
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 11:38pm

Hi Kim,

In 33 years with this affliction, the only preventives that have ever worked for me are verapamil, and now lithium carbonate.  But we're all different, I'm afraid.  

If you have a good doctor, who knows about CH, then you can work together to find something that works for you.  

My feeling has always been that I'd rather have the doc be aggressive and try different things, even if they don't turn out to be effective for me.  The status quo is not acceptable.

I hope you find your silver bullet quickly...

Dennis

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 8:45am

topamax has worked for me as a preventative (but I take it at night to lessen the side effects). 100mg at least or its ineffective.

Don't forget the O2 as an abort (not a good idea to stop an abort - why hurt when you don't have to?). Listen to Pete on that one.

Whatever your doc gives you - give it a chance to work. A couple of days isn't a good chance. Some of these meds take a month or so to SEE if they're working. Maybe a pred taper while they're getting into your system would be good.

Hope you kick some CH rear....

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 10:46am

Verapamil works to reduce the number and severity of the hits for me.  I end up with one or two bad days a week which I can live with. 

The rest I clean up with O2 and, when the wheels really come off, Imitrex injections.

I'm curious, you've suffered for 17 years now.  In that time you've never tried a prevent?  Is it time for a new Dr?

Another note, if you do get a prevent to try ask for a steroid tapper to bridge the gap while the prevent ramps up in your system.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Farzad
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Iran - Tehran
Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 2:24pm

Hi

I am episodic and Prednisolone is very effective for my case, but the behavior of the CH is different each time.

first time i used 50 mg , but now CH does not respond to even 80, and this time i used 100 mg for start of preventive med. now i am reducing it to 0 to discontinue.

I remember several years ago , indomethacine was my abortive med. while now it is Ergotamine ! so what i afraid is that each time it is different!!
Farzad

Farzad

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 7:37pm

try clusterbusting
-no more trips to the doctors
-no more pharmacists
-no more drugs eating out your insides
-hard to detect in a drug screen
-no continuous dosing. 2 low doses of mushrooms cleared me up in weeks

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #7 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 7:54pm

Pete gave me a link to CB so I'm going to order some tonight.

Wonder how long it will take to ship?

WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 8:01pm

Dennis,

15 of those years were lost due to a diff. GP's assuming i had sinus infections.

Properly diagnosed in 06, and was issued abortives ( Maxalt, Imitrex, fioricet)

and lastly, and please dont judge or yell for this
I would be prescribed hydrocodone as it has a narc, an analgesic, and anti-histamine in it during my "once-a-year cycle".

WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Steambug
CH.com Junior

clock watching

Worcestershire, UK
Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 3:50pm

sorry for jumping in - what is clusterbusting? I've seen it mentioned byt not sure what it is? couldnt bring it up on a search, thanks.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 4:03pm

Since there is no "cure", the best is learning how to cope well.....

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 8:04pm

Kimmie

Last cycle I took Verapamil at 600+ mg .   It pretty much stopped my regular hits but it did have side effects.  I could live with the side effects at the time as they weren't as bad as the pain from the hits

My cycles come in early march.  This past feb, I decided to try RC Seeds.  About Mid Feb ,  I took 25 seeds and continued this every 5 days.   On March 3rd ( same time as when my cycle started last year)  , got a strong shadow,  burning etc, never ramped up any further though.    Dosed again last week.  No pain or shadows since.

I feel pretty confident that RC seeds prevented this cycle.  I am going to do one more dose on tuesday and then cut to a maintence dose every month.  I am still experimenting with dosages.

I order from I am Shaman.  Good luck to you.

kelly

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 9:13pm

mezza,

That's where i ordered.

......Stull haven't gotten them though Sad

WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2009 at 12:53am

They usually come pretty quickly- if they aren't there in 4 days at the most after you ordered- you may want to give them a call

Kelly

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!