Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ice (Read 2164 times)
miki
CH.com Newbie

Not all doctors are morons.

Jackson, MS
ice
Mar 7th, 2009 at 12:21am

The only abortive treatment that has had much effect on me is ice.  I need a bag of ice cubes (preferably the big ones).  I work it around till I get the smooth side of one ice cube pressed into my eye socket.  It needs to put actual pressure on the eye.
I never tried triptans because until I found this site I had no idea they were used for anything but migraine.  I wish that I'd known a lot of this stuff 25 years ago, before my mother got her diagnosis.  Her doctor had her on a med called Fiorinal with Codeine, which is a cocktail of barbiturate, caffeine, aspirin and codeine.

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Re: ice
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 1:50am

Miki, many of us use either heat or cold to help take the edge off the attack.  I use cold.  I keep a bag of frozen peas in my freezer that I use on the back of my head/neck, at the hair line.  Others find success on the side of the head, the top of the head, the eye (as you do) or where ever!

The bag of frozen peas works well because they are cheap, they are cold, they mold to the body part you put them to, and they are reusable.

It is amazing the little tricks that you can find on this web site!  But, just remember, what works for one person, may not work for you.  You just have to keep reading and trying, until you find your magic trick!

Good luck!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Katie
CH.com Junior

I just get 'those' headaches.

England
Reply #2 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 2:46am

Ice is my friend with CH. It is my enemy with migraine but with CH its my friend.
I keep the  mouldable gel packs used by sports therapists in my freezer to take to uni with me.
I do use ice cubes too but my tolerance level with pain does not extend to having drippy water down my face. I long for the cold but not the wet and found the sports packs solved the problem.

Chuck is right- it is a case of finding what helps you.
Its also worth tracking down a good neuro and chatting about the different drug options et al that could be suitable and available and getting a definete diagonosis.
I have lost jobs because of this thing not being 'official'.

Pain is no evil unless it conquers us.  

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 4:05am

ice was one of my abortives from my early years. someof us on the board have mastered the efficiency of ice. one of my favorites. i keep pees in the freezer and a pitcher full of ice water in the fridge. i drink alot of ice water during a hit.

i'm hoping batch will chime in with his genius techniques. Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 4:17am

I was given fiorinal in the early 80's, it was still one of the first wave meds back then. Actually provided a little relief if I got on it right away. Doesn't hold a candle to the 02 though!

Ice never helped me much, although in the peaks of a killer hit I'd wrap my head in bags of ice, for the little relief it provided.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 9:34am

Joe,

I hear ya', I was on Fiorinal for a long time, I agree, didn't do much except take the edge off, I quess we're old timers huh???? Wink

Miki, check out the O2 link, and research it, it's my go to and has offered the most relief for me in this war.

Baer

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 10:37am

miki wrote on Mar 7th, 2009 at 12:21am:
The only abortive treatment that has had much effect on me is ice.  I need a bag of ice cubes (preferably the big ones).  I work it around till I get the smooth side of one ice cube pressed into my eye socket.  It needs to put actual pressure on the eye.
I never tried triptans because until I found this site I had no idea they were used for anything but migraine.  I wish that I'd known a lot of this stuff 25 years ago, before my mother got her diagnosis.  Her doctor had her on a med called Fiorinal with Codeine, which is a cocktail of barbiturate, caffeine, aspirin and codeine.  

You're a Doctor and don't know that triptans work for Clusters ? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 4:25pm

A first script way back when was Fioricet, the one without codeine, but it stopped working a long time ago.  It was to fill in for the times I didn't have enough Imitrex nasal spray.  Kept three icepacks in the freezer, good for waking with a hit well under way and waiting for the n/s trex to kick in.  At that momentum, overchallenging for any abortive.  

Ice was an "edge of sanity" band aid of appeasement, at least trying to do something, and helped maybe more than just whatever effect it had against pain.  

I still use ice (temple area), and it's needed, while ramping up preventive meds and waiting the several days for them to be effective.  Although nowadays, oxygen has been a great addition.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2009 at 4:37pm by Kevin_M »  

IP Logged

ANNSIE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 4:58pm

Ice can also be placed on the neck and upper back, especially on the cluster ganglion if you have one of those. Pressing a wet ice cube directly on the ganglion can really help reducing the pain during a hit.

Drinking lots of ice cold water before and during a hit helps too.

Painfree wishes to you.

IP Logged

Jennifer
CH.com Alumnus

Supply, VA
Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 9:50pm

Katie wrote on Mar 7th, 2009 at 2:46am:
I keep the  mouldable gel packs used by sports therapists in my freezer to take to uni with me.
I do use ice cubes too but my tolerance level with pain does not extend to having drippy water down my face. I long for the cold but not the wet and found the sports packs solved the problem.

I am the  same way - the drippy aggitates me and I'd rather throw it than use it. The gel packs or frozen veggies work for me and I can wrap them where i need them.

WWW Jennifer Whitty Donald Yennyfur_D  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 11:08pm

Quote:
Ice can also be placed on the neck and upper back, especially on the cluster ganglion if you have one of those. Pressing a wet ice cube directly on the ganglion can really help reducing the pain during a hit.

Drinking lots of ice cold water before and during a hit helps too.

Painfree wishes to you.

I have a Cluster lump at the base of my skull on my cluster side.  Someone ( can't remember who, but thank you)  suggested that I apply ice to it during a hit.  It is amazing how much it helps.  In the past I had only applied ice to my face and the top of my head.

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

miki
CH.com Newbie

Not all doctors are morons.

Jackson, MS
Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 1:21am

Yes, Potter, I am a doctor-a [i]pediatric intensive care[i] doctor.   Not all doctors get the same training.  There is so much medical knowledge available that it's impossible to know it all.  You are only trained in what is pertinent to what you do.
CH isn't common in the grade-school set, so I was never trained in its treatment.  What I did learn is from looking it up on my own.

Miki

IP Logged

ANNSIE
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 5:45am

I have the utmost respect for those who work in Paediatric Intensive Care. Its soooo much harder both mentally and skill wise, dealing with very ill babies and children, than with adults. And dealing with CH at the same time ?

My hat off to you !    Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!