Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 question (Read 1891 times)
miki
CH.com Newbie

Not all doctors are morons.

Jackson, MS
O2 question
Mar 5th, 2009 at 10:18pm

I tried O2 during my last cycle, and did not have a good experience.  At first I was thrilled, because the pain disappeared like magic without even leaving a shadow.  But 10 minutes after I took it off (I had it on for 30 minutes after the pain left), the Beast came back with a vengeance.  It was far worse than before.
Some may ask how I used the O2--I had a nonrebreather at 15 LPM.  I work in a hospital, and got attacked by the beast while at work.  So I went into an empty room and used the wall regulator.  No empty tank problems to deal with.
Has anyone else had this experience?

Miki

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: O2 question
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 10:30pm

Absolutely.  I just go back after the o2.

Potter

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 10:56pm

I'll wait for a few folks who are more expert than I to respond to this, but suffice it to say that this is fairly common.  I know Guiseppi often takes an oral caffergot before aborting an attack with oxygen to avoid a re-attack.

My understanding is that when an attack is aborted with oxygen, the triggering mechanism for the attack may still be present, even though the attack itself has been terminated.  A re-attack may then occur.

By the way--welcome to CH.com.   Smiley

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 11:19pm

Did you read the information, behind the tab on the left side of your screen: oxygen info?  That may help you understand what is going on.

If you still have questions, ask away!

BUT, to your original question, YES, this does happen, sometimes.  Not always.  The only thing you can do, is get back onto the O2 and abort that one too.

Remember, O2 is aborting the pain, by constricting the vasal structure, NOT aborting the triggering mechanism.  The triggering mechanism is still an unknown.  Lots of theories, but no definite conclusion ... YET!

Let us know how you are doing ...

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 11:25pm

And several people have posted they chug an energy drink, then start the 02. 02 beats it down, energy drink keeps it at bay. I intend to try that next cycle, see if I can dump the cafergot.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

sheep2blue
CH.com Junior

x0|lavina|USA||0|0|MT,Montana
Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 12:21am

Yep.  I just gulp some nice strong coffee and have some more 02. 
T

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 2:14pm

I do too if I don't stay on the O2 long enough.  When the pain goes away don't stop the oxygen.  Stay on it for a while.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 3:23pm

Her post said that she stayed on the O2 for 30 minutes after the pain was gone.

Are you really suggesting longer?

IP Logged

miki
CH.com Newbie

Not all doctors are morons.

Jackson, MS
Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 12:04am

Thanks for all the suggestions.  At the time I was kind of flying blind.  My own doc didn't know much about CH, and we were reading the same references.  Some of you may have realized I am a doctor, too; but I am a pediatrician, so CH was not exactly part of my training. Smiley

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 2:05am

miki wrote on Mar 5th, 2009 at 10:18pm:
I had a nonrebreather at 15 LPM.

You might try buying, and using the O2PTIMASKTM that you can buy from the CH.com store.  It is FAR superior to the disposable masks that you have at the hospital.   They are worth their weight in gold!

It is critical that you get 100% oxygen.  Many of those disposable masks let too much outside air into the mask.  Either they do not form a tight seal to the face, or the side holes let outside air in.

If you suspect that this might be the problem, try just pulling the mask off the valve, and suck directly off the valve.  Make sure you don't take any air in through your nose!  Just put your lips around it, and breath in DEEP!, then open your mouth and exhale (or exhale through your nose).  Repeat until pain is gone.

REMEMBER: NO ambient air is allowed!!!

If you wish, I will gladly talk to you on the phone to help you out.  I can PM my phone number to you, or you can PM me your number, and I will call you.  Either way ...  OR, if you find you can relate to someone else on the board, just PM that person and ask them if you can talk on the phone.  Most of us are MORE than happy to do so!

Good luck!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #10 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 12:00pm

I second Chucks suggestion of the O2Ptimask, I never experience any real success till I got mine.

I now own two, and would not be without one. I have no affiliation with the Company, and can honestly say they have a great product and great staff to deal with.

A very valuable tool in the arsenal. IMHO

Baer

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 4:25pm

Marc wrote on Mar 6th, 2009 at 3:23pm:
Her post said that she stayed on the O2 for 30 minutes after the pain was gone.

Are you really suggesting longer?

It can't hurt any, unless she has COPD or something.  The suggestion for a different mask is also a good idea.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!