Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Antihistamine Treatment?? (Read 9722 times)
acoren
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Antihistamine Treatment??
Mar 5th, 2009 at 1:15pm

First, a little background. I am a 42-year-old male that was initially misdiagnosed with trigeminal/occipital neuralgia approximately 6 years ago. I exhibited the classic symptoms of CH (one-sided head pain, eye pressure, tearing, sinus congestion, neck pain, etc.) but was treated for the neuralgia for 3 months with injections, medication, and even burning of the occipital nerve. Nothing eased either the severity or duration of the attacks. I finally resorted to twice-daily Imitrex injection, which was the only remedy to the pain.

That bout lasted for about 4 months until one day in April it totally stopped. I have not had any recurrances since that time (with the exception of the occasional twinge but never a full-blown attack). That was until about a month ago. The CHs have returned in all their glory, up to 6 times per day.

About a 10 days ago, I developed a nasty cold on top of the CHs and began taking Nyquil for the constant congestion and body aches. I took it for two days every 4 hours as directed. A funny thing happened. During that 48-hour or so period, NOT ONE CH! When I stopped taking the Nyquil, the headaches returned.

I got to thinking, did some research on the Web and found that one of the scientific findings as to the cause of a CH according to the NIH is the body's sudden release of histamines (Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register). What does Nyquil have as one of its active ingredients? An antihistamine. So, I started taking it again and wouldn't you know, the CHs stopped. It has now been over 20 hours since my last CH with an antihistamine in my system.

Since I am not sure what taking Nyquil on a long term basis will cause, I switched to a 24-hour OTC antihistamin today. I will let you know if this shows any promise.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Re: Antihistamine Treatment??
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 1:25pm

I believe that CHs are sometimes referred to as Histamine HAs.  I have tried the OCT antihistamines in cycles past but had no luck.  I hope it works for you!   Let us know.

PF wishes!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 7:22pm

Jeannie, you're right.  They've been called Histamine Headaches.  For some, hospitalization for histamine desensitization has worked.  Seems like it's even easier than that for you, and I sure hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 8:53pm

I've tried every anti-histamine you can think up.

Never had any real success.

I think i either under-dosed at the time or over-medicated..not sure.

I'm at the "screw it" point and have stopped any allergy meds and just let it run it's coarse.

I took NYQUIL and it gave me a k8.

Buuuut...ppl are different.  Undecided

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 9:57pm

Kimmie, the problem most sufferers have with nyquil is...alcohol! It's got a lot in it, and since most are triggered by alcohol they avoid it.

Doxylamine is the antihistamine in Nyquil. I am not triggered by alcohol, but the Dextromethorphan triggers me horribly.

Doesn't matter what the DXM comes in, it triggers me. :/

I don't know that you can get Doxylamine seperate from the nyquil, but, Acoren might want to look into it if the 24 hour antihistamine doesn't help as well. (I'm on 4 or 5 antihistamines, so...)

I do know that not being on my main one, Ketotifen, made my hits more frequent, and worse. But then again, so was my anaphylaxtic reactions. Wink

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

acoren
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 8:02pm

OK, it's been two weeks since I first wrote this post and I am here with an update. NEVER MIND!

While the antihistamine did stop the attacks for two days, it did not work beyond that. I went back to about 6 attacks a day, all of which were between a 6 and 10. Also, sleeping became impossible as each night, every two hours I was awakened with an attack. Needless to say, I was at my wits end and down to my last two Imitrex shots (no health insurance at the moment).

Last Thursday, my original neurologist, who last saw me 5 years ago when these began, fit me into her schedule. Not only did she not charge me her full office visit fee, she prescribed me O2 and put me on a course of prednisone starting at 40mg per day for 8 days.

Today is the seventh day and I've been CH-free for nearly 2 days. Any attacks I felt coming on over the past week were aborted with the O2. As the days on the prednisone progressed, aside from the heartburn and dry mouth, the CHs have diminished in both frequency and severity.

Basically I am following up to let you know the moral here is a simple one...don't self medicate and expect miracles. I learned the hard way.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 8:24pm

acoren wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 8:02pm:
OK, it's been two weeks since I first wrote this post and I am here with an update. NEVER MIND!

While the antihistamine did stop the attacks for two days, it did not work beyond that. I went back to about 6 attacks a day, all of which were between a 6 and 10. Also, sleeping became impossible as each night, every two hours I was awakened with an attack. Needless to say, I was at my wits end and down to my last two Imitrex shots (no health insurance at the moment).

Last Thursday, my original neurologist, who last saw me 5 years ago when these began, fit me into her schedule. Not only did she not charge me her full office visit fee, she prescribed me O2 and put me on a course of prednisone starting at 40mg per day for 8 days.

Today is the seventh day and I've been CH-free for nearly 2 days. Any attacks I felt coming on over the past week were aborted with the O2. As the days on the prednisone progressed, aside from the heartburn and dry mouth, the CHs have diminished in both frequency and severity.

Basically I am following up to let you know the moral here is a simple one...don't self medicate and expect miracles. I learned the hard way.

Now that's refreshing.  Good on ya with the oxygen.  Keep on huffin.

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

josh
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 9:03pm

hi guys, i just found this forum... great place!

i thought i might through my $0.02 as well here. for what it's worth, this time when i moved into a cluster period, my allergies completely went away. and my allergies aren't seasonal either. i work in a saw mill and am terribly allergic to the dust in there. i can't remember when  i've gone more than a day with out itchy nose/eyes.  it's been two weeks now and i haven't sneezed once... what's the correlation between histamines and headaches?

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #8 - Mar 20th, 2009 at 9:03am

josh wrote on Mar 19th, 2009 at 9:03pm:
... what's the correlation between histamines and headaches?

We know that in the acute phase of an attack, certain blood cells dump histamines and serotonin, and there is an inflammatory cascade. Some of the pain, redness and swelling during a hit are due to this.

We know that histamine desensitization can sometimes break a cycle. This is not a first line choice as it has to be done in a hospital (I.V. drip of histamine with monitoring).

We also know that histamine in the brain is associated with wakefulness - histamine wakes people up, antihistamines can make them drowsy, especially the ones that cross the blood-brain barrier.

There is also a lot about histamine we don't know.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2009 at 9:04am by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

southwalessunshine
CH.com Veteran

caerphilly uk
Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2009 at 5:32am

Hi, I take anti histamines every day all year round.  I'm allergic to alot of things and can't afford to not take them as it triggers my asthma and my eyeballs blister...nice.
But taking this makes no change to my CH at all. 
x

keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow.&&Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much.&&Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.&&Helen keller

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!