Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Does Strong Paracetemol work on shadows? (Read 2237 times)
andyregan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Louth, Ireland
Does Strong Paracetemol work on shadows?
Mar 1st, 2009 at 3:18pm

My husband hasn't had a CH since yesterday which is great but he is experiencing very strong shadows - described as been like a really bad hang over and very sensitive to light.
He was wondering if he took strong paracetemol (500mg) would this work to get rid of the shadows or just bring on a CH?
Any advise would be really appreciated.

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Re: Does Strong Paracetemol work on shadows?
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 3:45pm

Hi Andy,

For me, paracetamol is a trigger so I avoid it at all costs. For my shadows, I drink coffee or an energy drink and that usually gets rid of them for a couple of hours at least.

Hope it works!

Em
xx

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

andyregan
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Louth, Ireland
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 3:54pm

Thanks Em, He tried Red bull and it didn't work and he can't stand coffee.  If he eats while having a really strong shadow then it does ease but he obviously can't eat 24/7 Huh

IP Logged

Em
CH.com Alumnus

I wanna go...

St Peter Port, Guernsey.
Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 4:00pm

Eating? I haven't heard that one before! His head will be thankful, but I'm sure his waistline won't!!  Grin

Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help. It may be worth checking out Kilowatt3's thread called Synergy. It's a blend which is designed to get rid of hits, but I'm sure would be effective for strong shadows if it was something you wanted to try.

I haven't tried it myself, but there have been quite a few people who've had great success with it.

Em
x

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Em emily.wensink 655755088  
IP Logged

black
CH.com Old Timer

I Love CH.com!

Greece,Athens
Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 7:57pm

How about cold or heat?ice on face or a hot/cold shower maybe?Sometimes it helps me to get rid of shadows(the heat works for me,cold makes it worse).
sorry can't think anything better for now Undecided

as for paracetemol doesn' t help but neither is a trigger for me.

Oh come on!it's just water.It can't be that bad!

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 6:35pm

Here's something that works for me to end a weak shadow--the OTC antihistamine chlorpheneramine maleate.  Usually comes in 2mg and 4mg.  Just one will do the trick, if it's going to work at all.  I usually wash it down with a strong cup of coffee.

Doesn't do squat for a full-blown hit, and to be honest, I've mentioned it here before, and I've not heard anyone else say that it works for shadows, either.  So take it FWIW.

Shadows aren't mankillers, of course, but if you're like me, you'd probably just as soon not have one.   Tongue

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 3rd, 2009 at 9:27am

It could well work if paracetamol is his OTC pain killer of choice. I know sometimes ibuprofen will knock a shadow out for me.. it all depends on the intensity and when you take it and how long a piece of string is! LOL There are no guarantees but providing he isn't throwing them down his neck repeatedly it won't do any harm. Paracetamol (acetaminophen in the US) is kind of rough on the ol stomach... I use Anadin Ibuprofen in the gel capsules as they dissolve so quickly and don't knacker my tummy the way paracetamol does

I hope it helps! It's definitely worth a try but it won't touch the sides of a hit so do bear that in mind.

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - Mar 3rd, 2009 at 10:40am

Another vote, along with Helen, for Ibuprophen.  I have a prescription for the 800 mg.  Tough on an empty tummy, but usually works for my shadows...

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 2:35am

I have a month long constant headache before CH kicks off.

I have shadows at random times throughout the year. Sometimes for months on end.

I use Ibuprofen 400mg and paracetamol 1000mg in combination. That keeps the long headache at bay. I have never noticed it's effect on shadows but I will check it next time.

Like others, if I can get by comfortably without medication then I do because there is always a trade off somehwere. I only use it when I have to.

Best wishes,

Ellick.

ET

IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 5:36am

While in cycle, paracetamol and the likes are triggers for an even more aggressive beast.
However, when I shadow out of cycle, it will not aggrevate it. But it won't help any either.

Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

Chad
CH.com Hall of Famer

Emmaus, PA
Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 1:12pm

A couple of squirts of 4-way nasal spray (the side of the pain)
does the trick for me.  Learned that from somebody on this boards.
If that doesn't work, do what others have said, strong coffee, Monster drinks etc...

When the PAIN starts, I FIGHT back!

Rivea Corymbosa seeds were my KO punch, now D3 is the front runner!

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 9:53pm

George wrote on Mar 2nd, 2009 at 6:35pm:
Here's something that works for me to end a weak shadow--the OTC antihistamine chlorpheneramine maleate.  Usually comes in 2mg and 4mg.  Just one will do the trick, if it's going to work at all.  I usually wash it down with a strong cup of coffee.

Doesn't do squat for a full-blown hit, and to be honest, I've mentioned it here before, and I've not heard anyone else say that it works for shadows, either.  So take it FWIW.

Shadows aren't mankillers, of course, but if you're like me, you'd probably just as soon not have one.   Tongue

Best,

George

Well, I have a nice little bottle of that from when my allergy medicine from Canada was unavailable. I might try that on my next shadow. I'll PM you the results if you'd like.

For me, I've only had a few things relieve a shadow. Sinus busters has relieved some of them for me, although I take it to try to deplete the substance P in the nerves there... Most with CH seem to find no relief at all from Sinus Busters.

Advil cold and sinus sometimes helps my shadows, too. Ibuprofen is a trigger for some people, so, if it's one for him, I'd avoid it.

I've also heard of people using 4way Nasal Spray, it has to be name brand... For some reason that helps, there should be a few threads around here on that.

Anyways, PFDAN
Mystina

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!