Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Testosterone treatment (Read 846 times)
Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Testosterone treatment
Feb 28th, 2009 at 5:36pm

Some time back when Donna H first brought up the possibility of hormonal imbalance being a causative factor in CH I printed out the article and took it to my new GP.  She has an interest in HA's and has been helpful in suggesting treatments.  (Most of which I have tried or refuse because of side effects)  She was interested, but did not think there was any value to it.  She was willing however to have me tested for my testosterone levels.

About this time Paul, Mityrare, started posting about the fantastic results he has had.  I was tested and after my Drs office losing the test results, two weeks later she started me on a 5mg/day dosage as I was quite low.

I have waited about a month and a half to post concerning this as I wanted to be able to have a long enough trial to be sure whether or not it is working.  I can definitely say there has been significant improvement!  My hits are fewer and usually K5 or less.  That has been a significant improvement for me. 

It has been beneficial in other aspects of my life as well.  I find a much better attitude toward life, in part because of the lessened CH attacks, and probably most importantly I'm getting more sleep.  I note increased energy as well, although I don't know whether to attribute that to the HRT or to getting more rest.

I will have my levels tested again in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping to convince my Dr to increase the level of the dosage as I think it is still a bit low, but the test will tell.

Sorry this is so long, but I hope it will encourage others to give it a try.  Remember, YMMV. 

Many thanks to Donna H and Paul for your encouragement to give it a try.

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Testosterone treatment
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 7:17pm

Print it for your doc; might appreciate it.
=========

Headache. 2006 Jun;46(6):925-33. 

Testosterone replacement therapy for treatment refractory cluster headache.

Stillman MJ.

Objectives.-To describe the clinical characteristics and laboratory findings of cluster headache patients whose headaches responded to testosterone replacement therapy. Background.-Current evidence points to hypothalamic dysfunction, with increased metabolic hyperactivity in the region of the suprachiasmatic nucleus, as being important in the genesis of cluster headaches. This is clinically borne out in the circadian and diurnal behavior of these headaches. For years it has been recognized that male cluster headache patients appear overmasculinized. Recent neuroendocrine and sleep studies now point to an association between gonadotropin and corticotropin levels and hypothalamically entrained pineal secretion of melatonin. Results.-Seven male and 2 female patients, seen between July 2004 and February 2005, and between the ages of 32 and 56, are reported with histories of treatment resistant cluster headaches accompanied by borderline low or low serum testosterone levels. The patients failed to respond to individually tailored medical regimens, including melatonin doses of 12 mg a day or higher, high flow oxygen, maximally tolerated verapamil, antiepileptic agents, and parenteral serotonin agonists. Seven of the 9 patients met 2004 International Classification for the Diagnosis of Headache criteria for chronic cluster headaches; the other 2 patients had episodic cluster headaches of several months duration. After neurological and physical examination all patients had laboratory investigations including fasting lipid panel, PSA (where indicated), LH, FSH, and testosterone levels (both free and total). All 9 patients demonstrated either abnormally low or low, normal testosterone levels. After supplementation with either pure testosterone in 5 of 7 male patients or combination testosterone/estrogen therapy in both female patients, the patients achieved cluster headache freedom for the first 24 hours. Four male chronic cluster patients, all with abnormally low testosterone levels, achieved remission. Conclusions.-Abnormal testosterone levels in patients with episodic or chronic cluster headaches refractory to maximal medical management may predict a therapeutic response to testosterone replacement therapy. In the described cases, diurnal variation of attacks, a seasonal cluster pattern, and previous, transient responsiveness to melatonin therapy pointed to the hypothalamus as the site of neurological dysfunction. Prospective studies pairing hormone levels and polysomnographic data are needed.

PMID: 16732838 

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Re: Testosterone treatment
Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 9:41am

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the update. I am glad things are better for you. Smiley

Men (that do not have CH) often report an uplift in attitude and more energy from taking the treatment... I am sure that when we combine the fact that we are having less # or severity of Ch and able to sleep pain free, our sense of well being is even more heightened.

I am at 5 mg per day, but my Dr. said that if i had any difficulty with CH, he would increase it up to 10 mg per day... lucky for me (so far, touch wood) my headaches have disappeared completely.

My Dr. said that with increased dose there may be an increase in appetite and weight gain. I have kept my weight stable for two years after losing 85 pounds so i was concerned about that side effect.  At 5 mg I have had no such problem.

If your rate is increased, please keep us posted as to any change to CH.

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!