Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My-Grastick, Max-alt and Butalt (Read 2675 times)
larryjamison
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

My-Grastick, Max-alt and Butalt
Feb 25th, 2009 at 1:02pm

I wanted to share something working for me lately. Its a combination of health product and medication.  The My Grastick can be bought at Better Health. Its a roll on that has peppermint and lavendar. It numbs the area better then Ice and the smell has a relaxing effect.  This just takes the edge off  (not a cure all).  But if you combine that with Max-Alt and if need be add a Butalt pill...WoW.  This is working for me. 

Don't get me wrong its still hell and scary getting them but at least they go away a bit quicker and stay away longer.  Feels like a new lease on life when it all kicks in. Cheesy

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: My-Grastick, Max-alt and Butalt
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 1:27pm

Sounds like that product "HEAD-ON" from a year or so ago.  The one with that totally annoying commercial that made ya want to put your foot through the T.V. Screen. 

Smells don't bother me at all but a LOT of folks with CH are triggered by strong perfume, oils and aromas.

I guess there were several here who went out and bought that head-on and all it did was make them 8 or 9 dollars poorer.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 1:27pm

larryjamison wrote on Feb 25th, 2009 at 1:02pm:
I wanted to share something working for me lately. Its a combination of health product and medication.  The My Grastick can be bought at Better Health. Its a roll on that has peppermint and lavendar. It numbs the area better then Ice and the smell has a relaxing effect.  This just takes the edge off  (not a cure all).  But if you combine that with Max-Alt and if need be add a Butalt pill...WoW.  This is working for me.  

Don't get me wrong its still hell and scary getting them but at least they go away a bit quicker and stay away longer.  Feels like a new lease on life when it all kicks in. Cheesy

Show me a link to this magic Butalt pill please, cuz it don't google.

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 3:23pm

Show me a link to this magic Butalt pill please, cuz it don't google

My guess is he meant Butalbital, which I'm pretty sure is a generic of fiorinal. I was given it in the early 80's. It's the only medication that ever seemed to act on the mechanism of CH. Not a pain reliever, but seemed to substantially dull the attacks.

That being said, it doesn't hold a candle to oxygen! If you haven't tried 02 yet, I average 6-8 minutes to abort an attack with oxygen. None of the stomach upset I used to get with firinal, and NONE of the risk of addiction! Wink

Please read the oxygen link on the left, it's success rate, especially among men, is incredible.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 4:05pm

It's success rate among women ain't too shabby either.  Wink

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 4:54pm

butult

i am wondering, its sounds close to generic stadol

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 7:39pm

Stadol

Generic Name: butorphanol tartrate

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 8:59pm

Hey Joe- I haven't seen anything before about Fiorinal acting on CH; interesting because that's the only drug that has helped me at all besides my ADD meds- do you have a link to any info on that?

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 9:11pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Feb 25th, 2009 at 7:39pm:
    Stadol

Generic Name: butorphanol tartrate

Doesn't come in a pill.

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 10:21pm

I hesitated to even mention it as addicitve meds are really risky with CH. This was back in the early 80's, I was still in the infant stages of diagnosis, I had recently transferred to an undercover assignment and the feeling was I was getting "stress related" headaches.

If I took the fiorinal as soon as I felt the headache start, it would cut the pain level, and the duration in half. Still hurt like hell, but not as bad or as long. As I mentioned in my post, doesn't hold a candle to oxygen. I go TOTALLY  pain free in 6-8 minutes with the 02.

I don't have any links or literature relating it to CH. My GP was still guessing at diagnosis back then.

And Linda...I didn't mention the 02 success rates for women cuz as everyone knows, only men get CH Tongue  (love ya! Wink)

Joe

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 11:05pm

UnderTheRadar wrote on Feb 25th, 2009 at 8:59pm:
Hey Joe- I haven't seen anything before about Fiorinal acting on CH; interesting because that's the only drug that has helped me at all besides my ADD meds- do you have a link to any info on that?

It's a barbituate. Soo.... Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register It binds to GABA.

They have me on fiorinal for my migraines. I'm not allowed triptans, as they've said I'd have a stroke / keel over and am not too thrilled at the thought of that.

It helped my clusters too, but I do not touch it unless I'm having a migraine. It's theo nly thing we've found that works for my migraines, so, I don't want it to become ineffective for those. Expecially not when I have better options such as 02 to combat the beast with...

The thing the user is talking about isn't like head on. Aromatherapy is what it sounds like, since peppermint is used to help headaches, and lavendar is used to help relax you. I have some essential oils I like to use at times when my clusters are bugging to relax me. It doesn't work for everyone tho.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register This'll tell you how to make your own at home, if peppermint helps you. You don't have to buy a specific product, you can just mix yer own.

PFDAN
Mystina

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 9:08am

Radar, I used Fiorinal in the 90's and it helped but not during high cycles.  Interestingly enough, when the dr added verapamil, the combination of fiorinal and verapamil seemed to put me right into a high cycle that didn't end until I stopped using both of them.

The thing about cycles is that they have a mind of their own.  I will never know if that combination actually caused it or if it just was time for it to happen.  However, I will never use both together agian.

Also, this last time I tried verapamil, it is helping.  The previous time I used it in 2006, it did not work at all.

This stuff is pretty wierd.

Charlotte

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 10:27pm

Quote:
And Linda...I didn't mention the 02 success rates for women cuz as everyone knows, only men get CH   (love ya! )

You've been talking to BobP haven't you Joey? 

May want to have your flack/Keflar  vest on when you come to the convention in July.  I have a long memory.   Smiley

WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2009 at 11:29pm

May want to have your flack/Keflar  vest on when you come to the convention in July.  I have a long memory. Embarrassed   oops....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!