Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oxygen...I am impressed (Read 4572 times)
Katie
CH.com Junior

I just get 'those' headaches.

England
Oxygen...I am impressed
Feb 24th, 2009 at 8:54am

Finally had the stuff delivered this morning; had to rotten well wait for the HOOF forms to be processed first; but I am sitting here after using it able to think , and sit and drink with what had been a boring and searing scream around my eye soothed to the level of pain of a moderate migraine.

This beats all the drugs I have tried.
Instead of an utter grouch who is crying and screaming I am almost human and for the first time in a couple of days been able to face drinking a fruit smoothie.
At this rate I may even try toast.

Next time I am going to try and use the O2 a bit faster though I had to read the instructions to remember what to do to turn the valve on as this was the first time I have used it in anger against CH.
*oops*

Thanks for the info on O2 that is on the main site. I may have had to wait 6 days to get it delivered but in my case it does help. Smiley

Pain is no evil unless it conquers us.  

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Re: Oxygen...I am impressed
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 9:28am

another happy customer.

Scott

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 9:31am

Yes another happy clustomer.

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 9:39am

That is fantastic news! And time is of the essence! A delay of 3-4 minutes can double the amount of time it takes me to abort a hit.

So glad it's helping, a neat feeling to know you're not helpless against the beast! Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 9:48am

Guiseppi wrote on Feb 24th, 2009 at 9:39am:

................time is of the essence! A delay of 3-4 minutes can double the amount of time it takes me to abort a hit.

Joe

My experience exactly.

Marc

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 10:43am

Hey Katie,

Good on you...  I love it when we hear of another success story about oxygen therapy from a satisfied user.  Please check your PM Inbox.

Take care,
V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 10:57am

WOO HOO!!!!!

I LOVE it when one finds a good, safe and reliable weapon against the beast!!!

ESPECIALLY when it is something as safe as my buddy OXYGEN!!!

Happy Dancin' Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Sonnie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

No. California
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 4:08pm

Wonderful, glad to hear it worked!  Smiley

Now, I must get on the ball and hound my GP.

IP Logged

ski2k
CH.com Old Timer

Muskegon, Michigan USA
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 7:30am

Absolutely wonderful news!!!

I would like to ask, tho.... You mentioned it took the pain "down" to that of a moderate migraine. I would like to know how long you used it for. Many of us have found that if we stop too soon, it will lessen it's effectiveness, or let another ch come back soon afterwards. It might be worth it to stay on the O2 a little longer next time (if possible), and see if you can't totally eliminate the pain all together!

Anyway.... Glad it helped out!!!  WOO HOO for O2!!!!

Adam

Here's where I got my RC (Rivea Corymbosa)seeds: I am Shaman&&Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW skipolak  
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 7:46am

o2 ROCKS!!!!! Yet another success story, love it! Wink

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Katie
CH.com Junior

England
Reply #10 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 12:16pm

Can I ask a stupid question of those of you with more experience of using the stuff?

How do you cope with the early morning wake up smack and fumbling around for oxygen?

Muggins tried to roll over and go back to sleep and hoped it was not about to start so I did not wake my long suffering husband up, its his worried 'are you going to die on me' look that does it, THAT idea lasted nano-seconds before I was out of bed kicking myself for being a complete twit who by now should know better.
Spent most of the early morning quietly swearing about prefering to be woken up by the dawn chorus than this brute.

Made a complete botch of the timing and whilst the stuff did help bring the pain down I have spent the rest of the day feeling like something punched my face. Taken maxalt melt on the second as I still felt shattered and I hope that puts off the third and fourth due this evening, backed it up later with solpadol and tiger balm as it felt like I had managed to pull muscles in my neck.

I have a husband who offered to set his alarm clock so he could wake me up half an hour earlier to get set up but I am not sure if thats a good thing. I suspect I may have been tired from coping with a full day at Uni and just over two weeks of this and that did not help me in getting it together this morning and I may be tempted to thump him when he is only trying to help.

I know I need to get more of a hang of this - my dad could only suggest ice, lots of ice and a bloody strong coffee followed by lurching into college later when your sure you can drive straight and all the other idoits are at work.

Did well yesterday managed two sneaky hits with O2 and one dose of maxalt part way through a lecture. I am still waiting for the letters from the hospital so I can get sumitriptan jabs and Topiramate from my GP.  Huh I will have to call the hospital tomorrow to check they have sent them as my GP is now too skittish to reach for the prescription pad without clear instructions from the neurology docs.
If I can really get it together I am going to try and join OUCH UK and sort out a medicalert tag for on the uni campus.

Thanks for the info on O2 use Batch, I have some time tomorrow so I will try and read it all then if yon beastie will oblige and not rattle the cage so much.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 2:21pm

When I go to bed, I set my O2 tank next to the night table.  I wake up 1 1/2 hours later with an attack starting,  I turn on the tank and start sucking.

BTW - I leave the regulator and mask connected to the tank all the time and just turn on/off the tank valve.
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2009 at 6:53am by Bob P »  

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 3:19pm

Yep, that's what I do also. My tank is right next to my bed.  Not the most pleasing decor in the room, but it beats being in pain. 

Most of us look at that little green bottle with a combination of Love and hate.   Grin

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Katie
CH.com Junior

England
Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 4:11pm

Quote:
Most of us look at that little green bottle with a combination of Love and hate.

Grin The UK home oxygen people dropped off a couple of big black topped with white ones - have to admit was not something I envisaged being part of the relaxing decor but do I give a damn about decor when it hurts...nope.

I will ask hubby to move it right by my side of the bed and see if that saves some time tomorrow morning and see if I can find a low level light so I can see what I am trying to do without waking him up if possible.
Boy can you tell that I am new to all this. Roll Eyes  Smiley

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 4:34pm

I use a headlamp. Try getting something like what's on this page: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

You can find them for a lot less at a local sporting goods store.  Your hands are free and it puts the light where you're head is looking  Wink

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #15 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 5:28pm

O2 is my friend  Smiley, I wish we'd have had it years ago, read and learn. I too am impressed, check the site from time to time, I still pick up some pointers, thank god we have this place. Best of luck.

Baer

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #16 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 5:46pm

Katie, you will be a pro in no time with the o2. I keep my tank right beside my bed with the hose and mask in my top dresser drawer so when my first of many hits nails me right after going to sleep I grab my mask and hook the hose to the regulator in the pitch black with no problems.
I cannot leave the mask and hose hooked up as I have a certain Kitty named Buck who would chew on it and that would not be good at all! Shocked

Best to you! Smiley

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Katie
CH.com Junior

England
Reply #17 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 12:46pm

The whole thing went a lot better this morning.

Still no letter from the hospital, still cannot get sumatriptian auto-injectors form GP withourt said letter.
Tried calling clinic- got their answerphone.

Cried.

Counted remaining maxalt melts.

Ordered more O2 from NHS home supply firm; cancelled everything for the weekend as I am now too flipping tired to want to play and dare not promise to do anything as the maxalt does not help with the mid morning nasty and that one is making me feel dreadful the other three are better behaved- I even crawled up to the GP to try and sort out a short prescription for over the weekend until the headache clinic re-opens.
The wretched dragons [receptionists] were not helpful. A headache is not enough to warrent an emergency appointment with another doctor. My GP was not in and no one else would take responsibility for prescribing without the hospitals letter. They suggested going to A&E.
Its going to be a long weekend but at least this weekend I have O2.
Going to try again Monday but I could have done without having to try and keep re-inventing the wheel.

At least the O2 has been sorted and I can re-order it myself as and when needed.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #18 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 12:56pm

Katie wrote on Feb 27th, 2009 at 12:46pm:
The wretched dragons [receptionists] were not helpful. A headache is not enough to warrent an emergency appointment with another doctor.

You should have hauled your little green tank into the waiting room and had your "mid morning nasty" right there. 

Maybe then the dragons would know first hand when a headache is not just a headache.

PF vibes are on the way for the weekend.  Smiley

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #19 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 5:53pm

You have o2 for the weekend, that is very good. You also have us here to lean on and even if it is to vent, that is ok too.

Clusterville is always open 24/7, so you are never alone with this. Hang in there!

IP Logged

Dyno
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Tenby, Wales, UK
Reply #20 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 3:52am

Quote:
Still no letter from the hospital, still cannot get sumatriptian auto-injectors form GP withourt said letter.
Tried calling clinic- got their answerphone.

Your Dr doesn't need to wait for a letter from the hospital to prescribe Imigran. He can prescribe it. Ask him to look in his BNF (British National Formulary - GP's prescribing bible) section 4.7.4.3 on CH where it states that subcutaneous sumatriptan (Imigran jabs) AND oxygen are used for the relief of the pain of CH. Unless, of course, you have other health conditions that need to be taken into consideration.

OUCH(UK)
-
"THEY'RE CRUCIAL, THEY'RE UNIQUE AND THEY'RE EXPERT"

Quote;  Prof. Peter Goadsby 2007

OUCH(UK) HELPLINE  No  01646 651979

IP Logged

Katie
CH.com Junior

England
Reply #21 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 4:50am

Hi Dyno,
Health wise I am fine- I just get those headaches.
I cycle between severe chronic migiraine, goodbye 4-5 days a week and episodic cluster. I also think a small gnome with hobnailed shoes and assorted cultlery and flamethrowers who thinks my TMN is its personal trampoline as the migriane switches into cluster and back again.

My GP got a tad jumpy after the neurologist expressed his opinion on NOT  sending me through to a consultant neurologist sooner. As I am female a none smoker and rarely drink the GP was treating me as if I only had migraine. He has been kindly asked by the hospital not do anything more without the say so from the headache clinic till they have sorted things out more.

The letter arrived on Saturday far too late to get a weekend prescription from anyone and the thought of camping in A&E when I had O2 at home made me cringe - been there done that before it has to be a truly awful headache to make me go as they always check for meningitisis before doing anything else.

Ghastly Saturday tried to go out with my younger teens and mistimed it only had maxalt with me so ended up crying on the floor whilst my eldest daughter went and blew her pocket money on a bag of ice and a strong coffee from SB for me.  Embarrassed
Not fun Sunday - took communion at church then paid for it more than normal. Not doing that again.
Was a tad terse with the dragons at the GPs this morning but I have been given an appointment to finally see my GP later this morning.
I have all the hospital letters together and I am not budging without that topiramate and certainly not without the sumitriptain injectors.

IF the homeoxygen turns up and replaces the O2 and I can get hold of the other drugs I am going to try and be more organised and get to Uni for tonights lectures. I felt so tired and in too much pain to want to even think of trying last week.
Could cheerfully throw in the towel in trying to study with this, it makes doing almost everything very hard work.

Managed to read OUCH's PDF on O2 use. That has helped a lot.
Sent husband out to buy more ice packs and strong coffee. 
I even remembered to put ice packs in the freezer to pack round the sports ice packs for tonight. I have Redbull and a flask for strong coffee ready to go.
Sick of this thing trying to rule my life so I am going to push yell and kick for what I need to make life more bearable.
IF I feel truly awful the Hospital is down the round from the Uni. Wink

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #22 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 7:13am

Hi Katie,

Check your PM.

Ellick.

ET

IP Logged

Katie
CH.com Junior

England
Reply #23 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 7:49am

Got new O2 bottles.

Got the prescription.

The pharmacy has had to make a special order for me but will deliver them to my home just after 4pm. *at last*.

IP Logged

HappyElaine
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Flovilla,GA
Reply #24 - Mar 2nd, 2009 at 4:27pm

Oh yea O2 is wonderful !

Fear less, hope more;&&Whine less, breathe more;&&Talk less, say more;&&Hate less, love more;&&And all good things are yours.&&&&Member of ch.com and OUCH since 1999

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!